SPRING HAS SPRUNG

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm still waiting for the snow to melt. Another month yet before we can worry about spring for real. Just about a month after that before I put in the garden.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I've got crocuses and daffodils coming out of my ears! (Maybe that why the local kids call me Tom Bombadil. I thought it was because I was so wise ...)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I am starting to get itchy to put the little blue truck back on the road. There really isn't much point in it until I have stuff to haul, but I keep looking at it out there and thinking, "hmm, I can hardly wait to pull into Rene's dirt yard so he can fill me up with topsoil."

I'm also thinking about getting some landscape ties to put at the bottom of the garden to keep the dirt in and the grass out.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I grow veggies, but I put some flowers in to attract bees.

We put in a couple rows of Saskatoon Bushes a couple years ago too.

Mrs. Rev has flower beds all over the yard too...front and back. All we grow in the immediate back is grass and some trees because of the dogs, but our yard is 333 feet deep, so there's room for everything.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Thats a big yard rev :p Saskatoon berries, yum....but I like blueberries better, and ehm...who does the weeding and careing for the the garden rev? you or mrs.rev???

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
who does the weeding and careing for the the garden rev? you or mrs.rev???

Usually nobody. 8O What generally happens is that it gets too wet back there and the weeds take over. Then we go in and clean it out when it dries up. That's why I'd like to put in the landscape ties to hold the dirt in. It would raise the low end of the garden up.

We work on the veggie garden together. I'm in charge of mechanical things though, so I like to keep the rows far enough apart to avoid too much hand-weeding.

I should have more time this year than I have had, so I'm guessing I'll be doing more gardening than Mrs Rev.

I don't do the flower beds though...not since the grass incident. It turns out that some grass is decorative, not a weed. Who knew? :oops:

I do like to shovel dirt though, so I do help with that part.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
:lol: :lol: :lol: My X husband was like that, or maybe its just kind of trick, playing dumb I mean. :p He wacked two clematis vines I had growing, and they were old established ones. Grgrgrgrgrgr...I had to growl and say "gimmie that wacker" :angryfire: ...whoa..I was some mad! more than enough "grounds" for divorce. :p :lol: :lol:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Was your ex raised on a farm? We learn odd things like if it doesn't belong there then it's a weed. Since flower gardens should have flowers in them, non-flowers are weeds.

I am learning though. I rescued a couple of darkroom sinks last year...stainless steel ones. One is a potting bench now, but the deep one is a raised flower bed full of ornamental grasses. I've learned to stay away from it and that it isn't funny when the dog (we only have one agile enough to get into it) sleeps in it.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
No he was not raised on a farm, he was miltary, the only thing he really knew anything about was golf :p :lol: :lol: He never really saw anything special about gardens 8O

Munkustrap

Nominee Member
Mar 3, 2005
Ottawa
My family (immediate and not) are nuts about gardens. My parents keep a shot gun by the door in case some dog comes and pisses in it. (Not actually.)

Is there anyone here who doesn't like Spring? Or am I alone? How can people want snow to go! Snow is so nice and pretty! And you can ski on it! Spring everything is wet and smells, and mud and salt and gravel are all over the roads and sidewalks. Bleh. Not a nice season.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Munkustrap said:
My family (immediate and not) are nuts about gardens. My parents keep a shot gun by the door in case some dog comes and pisses in it. (Not actually.)

Is there anyone here who doesn't like Spring? Or am I alone? How can people want snow to go! Snow is so nice and pretty! And you can ski on it! Spring everything is wet and smells, and mud and salt and gravel are all over the roads and sidewalks. Bleh. Not a nice season.

Maybe, Munku., but we'd be struggle to survive without it, so Spring has to stay in my calendar. :lol:

Munkustrap

Nominee Member
Mar 3, 2005
Ottawa
Ah ha ha ha Blair! That's a bonus about Winter, the snow is a carpet we sweep everything underneath. Good luck "treasure hunting" man, I hope you come back a rich man! :lol:

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Well, I suppose you Easterners (and thats most of the country for me!) dont want to know that my Rhubarb is poking several "phallic nubbins" out of the ground, and one has begun to unfirl its wrinkly leaves already. "Day Lilies" are about 4" high now (the blades, not the stems). Forsythia is showing the first yellow "pre-petals".

The male House Finches are getting VERY red-breasted feathers, for obvious reasons
(and you ladies think we MEN "strut our stuff" - HAH!)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Then you guys wonder why we ridicule you when you get a little bit of snow and they show you on the news having impromptu demolition derbies in the streets.