Great opening Lines Challenge

Rick van Opbergen
I thought this was a thread about the best pick-up lines :P

peapod
Well aren't you feeling frisky today little monkey :P

Zen you had to google don quixote I googled yours..no wonder I did not know it...Bill clintons autobiography

THE day broke gray and dull. The clouds hung heavily, and there was a rawness in the air that suggested snow. A woman servant came into a room in which a child was sleeping and drew the curtains. She glanced mechanically at the house opposite, a stucco house with a portico, and went to the child's bed.

Vanni Fucci
Of Human Bondage -- W. Somerset Maugham

"On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge."

peapod
Yo vanni you are a heavy dude :P
crime and punishment...... dostoevsky

Like the earth of a hundred years ago, our mind stil has its darkest Africas, its unmapped Borneos and Amazonian basins. In relation to the fauna of these regions we are not yet zoologists, we are mere naturalists and collectors of the specimen . . . Like the giraffe and the duck-billed platypus, the creatures inhabiting these remoter regions of the mind are exceedingly improbable. Nevertheless they exist, they are facts of observation; and as such, they cannot be ignored by anyone who is honestly trying to understand the world in which we live.

Vanni Fucci
Heaven and Hell -- Aldous Huxley

Just tryin' to be an Ubergod, Pea...

"In that pleasant district of merry England which is watered by the River Don, there extended in ancient times a large forest, covering the greater part of the beautiful hills and valleys which lie between Sheffield and the pleasant town of Doncaster. The remains of this extensive wood are still to be seen at the noble seats of Wentworth, of Warncliffe Park, and around Rotherham. Here haunted of yore the fabulous Dragon of Wantley; here were fought many of the most desperate battles during the Civil Wars of the Roses; and here also flourished in ancient times those bands of gallant outlaws, whose deeds have been rendered so popular in English song."

peapod
oh..I would say you are pretty close to a ubergod already vanni :P
You might enjoy this one

Ivanhoe

The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon. Though he had taken off his school seater and trailed it now from one hand, his grey shirt stuck to him and his hair was plastered to his forehead. All around him the long scar smashed into the jungle was a bath of heat. He was clambering heavily among the creepers and broken trunks when a bird, a vision of red and yellow, flashed upwards with a witch-like cry; and this cry was echoed by another.

SilentSwirl
[quote="peapod"]Yes it is...did you actually read the book :P

Randall and the river of time...C.S. Forester

No, lived there, speak the language but can't handle German authors - am very impressed with your correct response to Randall... peapod.

Vanni Fucci
Lord of the Flies...

"A surging, seething, murmuring crowd of beings that are human only in name, for to the eye and ear they seem naught but savage creatures, animated by vile passions and by the lust of vengeance and of hate. The hour, some little time before sunset, and the place, the West Barricade, at the very spot where, a decade later, a proud tyrant raised an undying monument to the nation’s glory and his own vanity."

peapod
am very impressed with your correct response to Randall... peapod.

No need swirl, to be impressed I mean. :P It so happens that I grew up with a person that was gay, he told me to try reading E.M. Forester. Well I got a book by this forester, only because I liked the title, barbary pirates. I also liked the book. But ehm...it was not by E.M. Forester, it was by C.S. Forester. Well since I already read one of his books, I knew who he was and what books he had written. :P

peapod
Ivanhoe.....ehm there is no way anyone is going to get this...no way..I dug it out..

"The history begins with a tree, a spindly understory tree, content to grow in the shade of buttress rooted giants. How the seeds of this tree acquired immense importance socially, religiously, medically, economically, and course gastronomically, on both sides of the Atlantic will be the substance of the story. In the new world they gave it birth, this seed was so valuable as foodstuff, as currency, and as a religious symbol that the literature about is unrivalled in quantity and diversity by writings about any other american plant which made the journey to the old world.

Our story opens in Mexico and Central America, thousands of years before the Spanish conquest....ehm..sorry I got carried away :P I don't get to cut and paste I have to type it out of the book

Vanni Fucci
hmmm...Day of the Triffids?

peapod
hehehehhe

The true history of Choclate.... your turn

Vanni Fucci
"I had this story from one who had no business to tell it to me, or to any other. I may credit the seductive influence of an old vintage upon the narrator for the beginning of it, and my own skeptical incredulity during the days that followed for the balance of the strange tale."

I think we should switch it now to ending lines...more difficult to google...

peapod
grgrgr I had to google that...I should have known that. :P

These are the fishermen who stand sentry over the cod stocks off the headlands of north america, the fishermen who went to sea but forgot their pencil.

I will even throw in the quote that is above this first paragraph.

The herring are not in the tides as they were of old;
My sorrow for the many a creak gave the creel in the cart
That carried the take to sligo town to be sold,
When I was a boy with never a crack in my heart.
William butler Yeats " mediation of the old fishermen"

Hard-Luck Henry
Cod -- Mark Kurlansky

I've also read his "Basque History of the World" - yet another people who probably "discovered" America first, apparently.

My lines (easy one):
"Apart from life, a strong constitution, and an abiding connection to the Thembu royal house, the only thing my father bestowed on me at birth was a name, Rolihlahla." In Xhosa, Rohillahla literally means "pulling the branch of a tree," but it's colloquial meaning more accurately would be "troublemaker."

SilentSwirl
Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela

"It must have been late autumn that year, and probably it was towards dusk for the sake of being less conspicuous. And yet a meeting between two professional gentlemen representing the chief branches of the law should surely not need to be concealed."

I imagine a common mistake peapod, after all one writes gay books about serious people whilst the other writes serious books...

Vanni Fucci
The Quincunx -- Charles Palliser

Hmmm...I wonder what treasures I have in my bookshelf here...

"Ages ago, when the world was different, the South Pacific contained many islands that we have never known. Then as now the floor of the ocean rose and fell when volcanic pressures fluctuated. A violent up-thrusting that created new islands would be followed by and imperceptible subsidence which slowly dragged the newborn lands back below the surface of the sea"

peapod
You are just trying to get me back for that chocolate one So now it gets nasty :P okay, okay what is it??? It does sound good

Vanni Fucci
Return to Paradise -- James A. Michener

I knew you'd have a bit of trouble with that one, because when I googled it, I got no viable results...this is so much fun... :P

Your turn...

peapod
getting cagey are you :P

The most interesting things happen in life often happen by accident. That is how I found myself one may sitting outside a taverna at Alikampos in the western half of crete, with no guide book, no decent map, but an excellent collection of wild flower books. I spoke a little greek and the village elders solemnly ranged around the table- high leather boots, thorn walking sticks, moustaches luxuriant enough to hide a family of mice-spoke even less english. Small cups of coffee, tots of lethal, white homemade brandy and dishes of salted marrow seeds piled up around us as the books we passed around from hand to hand all open at the picture of the same flower. It was Tulipa bakeri, named after the man George Percival Baker, who first exhibited it at a royal horticultural society show in 1895.

side note :P This flower was a world wide phenomenon and still is today. No other flower has ever carried so much cultural baggage.
It charts political upheavals, illuminates social behavior, mirrors economic booms and busts, and plots the ebb and flow of religious persecution.

Vanni Fucci
That's one hell of an interesting flower, Pea... :P

The Tulip -- Anna Pavord

“So of course,” wrote Betty Flanders, pressing her heels rather deeper in the sand, “there was nothing for it but to leave.”

--sidenote-- Am I an Übergod yet?

peapod
Your right this is fun :P You can learn alot about history from botany :P Are you sure you want to be a deity Yours is virginia
woolf, jacobs room...If you think the tulip was interesting, this one will blow you away :P

I never thought very many people in the world were very much like John Laroche, but I realized more and more that he was only an extreme, not an aberration -- that most people in some way or another do strive for something exceptional, something to pursue, even at their peril, rather than abide an ordinary life.

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Are you sure you want to be a deity

Yeah...I think the whole omni-everything would kick alot of ***...

Then I could be all places at once...like the Rev...:P

The Orchid Thief -- Susan Orlean

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo."

peapod
same guy wrote this poem
HE twilight turns from amethyst
To deep and deeper blue,
The lamp fills with a pale green glow
The trees of the avenue.

The old piano plays an air,
Sedate and slow and gay;
She bends upon the yellow keys,
Her head inclines this way.

Shy thoughts and grave wide eyes and hands
That wander as they list--
The twilight turns to darker blue
With lights of amethyst. James Joyce

The orchid thief is a true story, I remember reading the story about the trial. When this book came out I read it, the best part of the book was the history of orchids. Here are some of the mind blowing things about orchids.

While there are species of orchids that are self-pollinated, the rest are pollinated by bees, wasps, moths, flies butterflies, gnats, ants, and birds. These animals are attracted in different ways, often to a specific species of orchid. For instance, particular bees are attracted to a variety of orchids because of their scent. By collecting scented droplets, they pollinate the flowers. Some blossoms are brightly colored to attract butterflies, while others are dull, but fragrant only at night in order to catch the attention of moths. Many species, like other flowers, are brightly colored and produce sweet nectar to invite birds.

Here are some games that will make you think twice about the distinction between plants and animals. Would you believe that because some orchids resemble female insects by appearance and scent, the male insects attempt to mate with, or steal away, the ' female insect look alike orchid!' Other insects think certain orchid species are the enemy and go right into attack mode. Of course when they fly away coated with pollen, they deposit it onto the stigmas of other flowers.

Another example: certain orchids have sensitive labellums, which close as soon as they are touched. The trapped insects must squeeze through a slim tunnel between the flower column and tip of its labellum to escape, consequently covering its body with pollen. And let's hope they didn't just finish a big dinner.

There many reasons why some orchids certainly appear to have outsmarted insects. She has a cryptic, picturesque, writing style, and we think reading her work will entice many of our subscribers to take up a new pastime - namely growing orchids. We highly recommend her work. Here are some excerpts from her book.

As the insects lick the nectar they are slowly lured into a narrowed tube inside the orchid until their heads are directly beneath the crest of the flower's rostellum (an extension of the stigma, the part of a flower on which pollen germinates). When the insects raise their heads the crest shoots out little darts of pollen that are instantly and firmly cemented to the insects' eyeballs, but then fall off the moment the insects put their heads inside another orchid plant.

How the insects get to another orchid plant is beyond us. This image is so vivid; it hurts to read the words!

Some orchids have straight-ahead good looks but have deceptive and seductive odors. There are orchids that smell like rotting meat, which insects happen to like.

Another orchid smells like chocolate.

No one knows whether orchids evolved to complement insects or whether the orchids evolved first, or whether somehow these two life forms evolved simultaneously, which might explain how two totally different living things came to depend on each other. The harmony between an orchid and its pollinator is so perfect that it is kind of eerie.

Orlean's work will take you back in time and entice you to contemplate the Earth as its life forms began to evolve. And she will challenge your instincts, perceptions, and assessment skills to rethink how all forms of organic life relate.

Orchids thrived in the jungle because they developed the ability to live on air rather than soil and positioned themselves where they were sure to get light and water - high above the rest of the plants on the branches of trees. They thrived because they took themselves out of competition.

If all of this makes orchids seem smart - well, they do seem smart. There is something clever and unplantlike about their determination to survive and their knack for useful deception and their genius for seducing human beings for hundreds and hundreds of years.

The big question is, will human beings ever become that smart? We are so easily seduced by greed, our own images, corrupt business practices, politicians with hidden agendas, and so many other influences that do not sustain our species. Will the pollution we create trigger our migration to places VERY high above our jungle floor? How do we take ourselves out of competition when the population of the world is increasing at such an alarming rate? What must we do in order to continue to thrive as long as the orchids?

A few months later, what do I see in the paper, a orchid show at the university :P This I had to see! I wanted to watch orchid people to see if they were really that strange, they were :P But, I had only seen orchids in the supermarket or nurseries. I had never seen anything like the orchids at this show. I really do believe that orchids have brains :P

Here is a beauty

"He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the gulf stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish."

Vanni Fucci
...and some orchids are fermented with sugar cane and used to make rum... :P

...mmmm...dark rum, 'tis mother's milk to the likes of me, Pea...

...and speaking of rum, there's none finer than a wee dram of the Newfie Screech....arrgh...

Old Man and the Sea -- Ernest Hemmingway

"From behind the screen of bushes which surrounded the spring, Popeye watched the man drinking."

...how come there's no pirate-smiley, dammit

peapod
mmmm..are you a newfie Vanni

I got that book sitting right here, I was gonna quote it later on
william faulkner sanctuary

I am a newfoundlander, although up to the age of fourty-six I would have been voted by those who knew me the least likely to warrant a biography, one has been written"

Vanni Fucci
No Pea, I'm not Newfie...though at times I wish I was...

...and as to your first line, I have'nt a clue...

...and I was able to find my pirate-smiley after all...arrgh...

peapod
Well some canadian you turned out to be

The colony of unrequited dreams wayne johnston....joey smallwood

"What can I say about love? You might see me sitting in this taxi, bound for paddington station--a thiry five year old women with plain features-- and you would think that I could not know anything about love. But I am leaving london because of love"

Vanni Fucci
I have a fascination with all things Newfie...I'll have to check that one out...

Lost Garden -- Helen Humphreys

"Mother died today"

peapod
First things first did you google that answer? I googled it to make sure that it could not be goolged. Is this your fault??

abert camus, The stranger

"the women of the family leaned toward extremes. All winter they yearned for long, long nights and short precise days; in summer the sun in the sky for eighteen hours, than a mulititude of stars."

hint: canadian

no new posts