Backyard curling, why not? Make your own curling stones!

mr_fitz

Mar 2, 2005
Outdoor hockey is booming in Canada, so why not outdoor curling? I imagine it is the cost of the stones...got a spare $6000?

We at the Minden Outers Club (just a bunch of guys who meet once a year) decided there had to be a way, even though most of us don't even curl. We felt it was our duty as Canadians. Thus, we spent 2 years developing a "system" to make your own curling stones for about $200 (less if you don't make a full set).

Here is how <-- a link with materials, cost, step-by-step instructions, images and movies of them in action.

Make em and then invite your friends over for drinks and curling on Saturday night...

How about a rink to go with it
how to for a rink

Last edited:

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
RE: Backyard curling, why not? Make your own curling stones

Hey Rev Your garden is big enough to set up a rink....and you could smoke while curling again.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
RE: Backyard curling, why not? Make your own curling stones

Looks like a lot of fun!!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Backyard curling, why

The garden drops almost 18" from one end to the other, Zen. I know it doesn't seem like, but we did some rough calculations a few years ago. Besides, the last thing we need out there is more water in the spring.

I was thinking more along the lines of the hockey rink they put up for the kids every year. I haven't seen anybody but Mrs. Rev use it, and that's been about twice.

mr_fitz

Mar 2, 2005
Re: RE: Backyard curling, why

Reverend Blair said:
I was thinking more along the lines of the hockey rink they put up for the kids every year. I haven't seen anybody but Mrs. Rev use it, and that's been about twice.

Yes, I can see it now, curlers on the town square ice rink... :p

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Backyard curling, why

At least it would get used that way, Mr. Fitz. I live in kind of an odd neighbourhood...it's like a small village that's part of a small town that's actually part of Winnipeg.

I'll have to bring it up at the fall meeting and see if there's any interest, but nobody uses the skating rink as it is now.

mr_fitz

Mar 2, 2005
Re: RE: Backyard curling, why

Reverend Blair said:
At least it would get used that way, Mr. Fitz. I live in kind of an odd neighbourhood...it's like a small village that's part of a small town that's actually part of Winnipeg.

I'll have to bring it up at the fall meeting and see if there's any interest, but nobody uses the skating rink as it is now.

I sincerely hope you work something out with your neighbourhood association. Maybe you can improve on the design if you DO curl on the rink :idea: