Bore da! Henry!

peapod
Ble mae'r orsaf rheilffordd?

Hard-Luck Henry
Noswaith da, peapod!
At least, it's evening here! Any particular railway station?

Incidently, I'm going camping in Wales at the weekend. Before the weather gets better, and it starts to get crowded.

peapod
Dau docyn i Llandrindod plÍs.

Twila
Fel Harri , Canfydda Peapod ydy yn ceisio at gwna a rendevous chennych am drÍn gorsaf. Oes rhywbeth Charlie ddylu adnabod am?

peapod
eh?????? you are talking about me...just like the football players do when they huddle on the field :P

Rydw i'n dysgu Cymraeg.

peapod
Incidently, I'm going camping in Wales at the weekend.

Be sure to tell the tale of the fair peapod and the lovely twila..around your campfire...you can mention galaniomama to...only if you want to :P So...ehm...

Iechyd da! Henry :P

Hard-Luck Henry
I'm too much of a novice to work through all that dodgy grammar. Yes you can have two tickets (dau docynnau, I think, i'm just a Saes). And no, Twila, there's nothing you need to know.

I'm taking your posts to Wales with me, so my good friend Jo can mark them.

nos da

peapod
You know you are right zenfisher...there is something about henry :P

zenfisher
I have impecable taste Peapod...just ask Edge.

Hard-Luck Henry
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

Fel Harri , Canfydda Peapod ydy yn ceisio at gwna a rendevous chennych am drÍn gorsaf. Oes rhywbeth Charlie ddylu adnabod am?

Hey, Twila. None of my Welsh friends could translate your post, so I forwarded it to the Welsh Language Board for analysis (nothing like going straight to the top ). Here is their reply:

"Thanks for your enquiry - I think you're right in sensing that a dodgy translation machine has been at work. You should see the damage that kind of thing can do when you include 'sentence' and are provided with either the term for a portion of a paragraph or a judge's verdict - usually, as Murphy's Law would have it, totally in the wrong context!

Anyhow, I'll include my best English interpretation below, and an amended Welsh version.

Like Harry, Peapod tries to head for a meeting at the train station. Is there anything that Charlie should know about?

Fel Harri, Mae Peapod yn ceisio gwneud ei ffordd i gydarfod yn yr orsaf drÍn. Oes yna rywbeth y dylai Charlie ei wybod?"

A admirable effort though, Twila; I'd already managed to get the gist of what you meant without their help. Respect.

Twila
You know, that's kind of funny. considering my title is now "Ubergod" you'd think this title would help me know all languages, but no. So, then I need a translater that works.....suggestions please?

See what happens when you trust the words from a website? It gets dodgy and sketchy all at the same time. just marvelous!

peapod
hehehehe I can hardly wait for henry friend Jo to translate for him...I am still wondering what you said up there^^^^^ I know peapod and charlie were in it twila did you listen to that clip of grandma suzy I posted in the lounge..in it she talks about her views of tatoos.hahahahhaaha

some people say welsh is the language of heaven....

A elfyntodd dwyr sinddyn duw cerrig yr fferllurig nwyn os syriaeth ech saffaer tu fewr echlyn mor necrombor llun.

ehm...I think that is a welsh curse or celtic spell sorry

Hard-Luck Henry
hehe. I don't think any of the free ones work that well. I 've just put the following sentence through, in the following order: English - Spanish - French - German - Italian - Dutch - Portuguese - then back to English:

"What on earth is that supposed to mean?", came out as "If he in the country of the is wanteded him say for become that accepted?"

I've come to the conclusion that I've got too much time on my hands.

(ps -the translation you want is up above you, peapod )

peapod
hehehehehe twila has an inquiring mind :P but only the shadow knows for sure :P

Now henry what do you know about this mad dog claim??

madog.rio.edu/English/madoglegend.htm (external - login to view)

Hard-Luck Henry
I know a bit; there isn't any real evidence that he ever existed, he's kind of a Welsh Robin Hood. The castle he was supposedly born at - Dolwyddelan - is still there (well, bits of it), but it wasn't actually built until C13th. There is also supposed to be a tribe of tall, fair-haired Welsh-speaking Indians in Kentucky, called the Padoucas (an Anglicisation of Madogas, or sons of Madoc), but they've never been found either, funnily enough. This legend only really became popular in the early 1800s - cynics suggest it provided white-folk with a convenient justification for taking over Indian land (ie we were here first, honest ).
Let's just say, I have my doubts about the whole thing.

Hard-Luck Henry
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

A elfyntodd dwyr sinddyn duw cerrig yr fferllurig nwyn os syriaeth ech saffaer tu fewr echlyn mor necrombor llun.

ehm...I think that is a welsh curse or celtic spell sorry

I ran your little curse past the good people at the Welsh Language Board (I used an anonymous email address, in case anyone turned into a frog). Their response was "Pwy sgwennodd sothach 'ma?", which roughly translates as "Who wrote this rubbish?" Apparently it's some gibberish about whitening puckered cohorts.

peapod
whitening puckered cohorts.

Sounds like a makings of spell to me henry :P Right now henry I am eating bake bara brith for breaky :P and I am listening to lord caernarfon's jig...

www.laurasmidiheaven.com/Inte...sicWelsh.shtml (external - login to view)

A welsh proverb for you...this one is good..you can run it by your little band of experts :P

Bum gall unwaith-hynny oedd, llefain pan ym ganed.

Hard-Luck Henry
I was once wise, when I was born, I cried?

Reminds me of another Blake poem, Infant Sorrow:

My mother groaned, my father wept,
Into the dangerous world I leapt;
Helpless, naked, piping loud,
Like a fiend hid in a cloud.

Struggling in my father's hands,
Striving against my swaddling bands,
Bound and weary, I thought best
To sulk upon my mother's breast.

As for Lord Caenarvon's jig; i'm sure it's lovely on traditional instruments, but midi 'music' makes it sound excruciatingly bad.

peapod
Have a good camping trip henry...when you return please tell us about how the welsh go camping? I wonder if its the same as here....do you take an igloo with you :P Good poem... your camping trip reminds me of a poem....

all watched over by machines of loving grace

I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammels and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal
brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.

Richard brautigan :P

A welsh proverb for your journey...hey I like this welch stuff :P

Llaeth i blentyn, cig i wr, cwrw i hen

Hard-Luck Henry
Great poem :P As for the proverb; looks like beer for me, then! Hooray!

peapod
Yo Yo henry :P how was your camping trip??? so when you say a caravan what exactly do you mean?? beer eh??

Hard-Luck Henry
Hey, peapod. We had a good time - cold and wet, but good: Got a lot of miles in. Didn't have any beer, I'm afraid - mountain's and alcohol don't mix, even the tiny little hills we have here can be dangerous, for a lightweight like me . Am making up for it now though . And when did I say "caravan"? (If you meant "you" in general, a caravan is mobile living quarters; a sort of trailer on wheels that you tow with a car, containing all the usual mod cons (fridges, tvs, etc). They're very popular with the old/sad brigade; I'm more of a tent person - my idea of "mod cons" is a spoon and a fork).

peapod
"mountain's and alcohol don't mix"

It does not mix well in nature at all henry :P but on these occasions you might not see a sasquach, but you will see a dumb *** for sure :P

I did not realize they was another way to camp henry besides a tent :P how high are the mountains that you climb? are they similar to the highlands of scotland..do you have your own walking stick??

Hard-Luck Henry
The Welsh hills are similar to the Highlands; lots of broken, rugged rock. Probably wetter, though not quite as high - generally around 1000m, or so. You can be up and down in a matter of hours, so for more of a challenge people will find the most difficult route, or maybe traverse the ridges which often connect 2,3 or more peaks. Winter conditions, or any less than perfect weather, adds to the fun. (And yes, I do have walking poles :P )

peapod
Well I feel a kinship with the scottish highlands since my ancestors came from there..Someone told me the other day how big your island is and the population This island is mostly unpopulated so there is unlimited recreation with no people...ehm well most of the time :P There are plenty of mountains to hike and alpine meadows to visit. But I like to take my time and enjoy everything I see, its not a race for me...but the walking sticks help :P

We also have lots of hikes to remote places that don't involve mountain climbing...check this out..

www.vancouverislandabound.com/cape_scott.htm (external - login to view)

I first visited this place when I was 12 with my parents.

Also you can see some pictures of what the island looks like from this website..there are alot of landscape photos..

www.vancouverisland.com/photogallery/ (external - login to view)

Hard-Luck Henry
Hey, peaps, I got an e-mail from the head of Bwrdd yr Iaith Gymraeg (The Welsh Language Board), regarding the curse you posted some time ago - he seems intrigued. He says it doesn't really make sense, many of the words are made up and would I mind telling him where I got it! Look out the language fascists are after you! (Don't worry, I won't talk, whatever they do to me. As long as it's not sustained tickling of feet. I hate that!)

btw Loved those images of your island - you're very lucky to live in a place like that and I'm glad that there are people like you to protect it, and keep it like that. Britain is an island too (doh! ), but while it's only about 8 times the size of yours, it hold about 90 times more people. There are still some areas where you can go to get lost, but we have to fight hard to keep them - most land is privately owned, and keeping rights of way open is an ongoing struggle.
Ps I liked your quote, about being alone - it summed up a good part of why I love mountains. Most people only ever look at nature, from roads or windows - I like to be in it. You're right: Ecstasy. (Youre right about lots of things, though eh? )

peapod
hehehehehe...Do people actually own rivers over there that is a oxymoron :P

Its not me that is right Henry...I am just fortunate enough to be one of the knowing Its most of the humans I got the problems with henry. They keep messing with the universe.
I have been to this place henry, I think you have been to.

Thoreau on fishing at night
when your thoughts had wandered to vast and cosmogonal themes in other spheres, to feel this faint jerk, which came to interrupt your dreams and link you to Nature again. It seemed as if I might next cast my line upward into the air, as well as downward into this element, which was scarcely more dense. Thus I caught two fishes as it were with one hook.

This happens in daylight to. :P Its brings great "happiness" when someone like thoreau can put down in words what you yourself have experienced attending these events. mmmmmm..the knowing

Hard-Luck Henry
Cymru am byth!

In case anyone is interested Wales have today won their first (Rugby Union) Grand Slam in 27 years.

Llongyfarchiadau!

peapod
congradulations henry....and ehm...do not be getting me in to trouble with the welch language police

Hard-Luck Henry
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

congradulations henry....and ehm...do not be getting me in to trouble with the welch language police

Thanks for reminding me; I still have to get back to them about that. I'll do it on Monday, whilst they're in a good mood.

(btw - You don't have to congratulate me, I have no Welsh ancestry, I just go there a lot, and I can see it from my front window. You, on the other hand do - and if I were you I'd be emphasising the Welsh rather than the Scots today; the Welsh won the championship, whereas the Scots won the 'wooden spoon' (that's when you lose every game).

Anyway - I'm going for a "Ruby Murray". Speak later.