Bore da! Henry!

peapod
that sounds interesting henry...alot better than my uncle...I tell you if I have to hear about the frasers at the battle of coloden one more time...I dunno....I might scream :P

Hard-Luck Henry
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

that sounds interesting henry...alot better than my uncle...I tell you if I have to hear about the frasers at the battle of coloden one more time...I dunno....I might scream :P

Tell me about it, p. My brother-in-law is a Scot, and is forever telling me about the Appin Stewarts who, coincidently, joined the Frasers in their glorious* Highland charge against the royalist left flank at Culloden. Small world, eh?

(*well he says 'glorious', I say 'futile'. Though not to his face if he's had a wee dram, or ten )

Incidently, I've a book - The Highland Clearances by John Prebble, and the Frasers of Inverness - the clan chiefs, I mean - don't come out of it with a lot of credit. But I'm sure you know all about the way the Highlanders were treated, and by their own kin. A sorry tale, indeed.

peapod
Well my uncles favorite part, is about how the frasers were told many of them would die in battle, so they better get busy the night before the battle. He claims 150 frasers were born 9 months later....big grin accompanies this part of his story.

I have not really traced the ancestors before they left scotland. Do you know how hard it is to deal with frasers?? They name everbody "John" :P

Mine came over to nova scotia on the oatmeal boat called the hector. Forced out of their country to make way for sheep.

peapod
Tap..Tap...tapping fingers....Henry what are you doing? Did you fall asleep at your computer :P

Hard-Luck Henry
not exactly, p., All this mixing autism and politics is beyond me. But I'm learning.

peapod
ahh...night henry..catch you on the next wave

peapod
Ehm....good morning henry :P although it will soon be good night here. How your kit coming along, all set for the next a-roaming :P

Hard-Luck Henry
bore da, P! Well, I've done all of the important remedial work to my kit, and now it's piled in the corner, waiting to be organised and stored. Being the Procrastinator-in-Chief that I am, it may have to wait some time . (Well, until Mrs H. threatens to "oraganise" it for me. That usually makes me get a wriggle on )

LadyC
Pea...
If you have Frasers in your family tree, I have just the book for you to read. (I've probably mentioned it before.....)

Next time you're at the library look for Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. It's #1 in a series (the 6th and final book is due out this summer maybe?) and each book has between 600 and 1000 pages. It's an awesome saga, and starts just prior to the last Jacobite uprising. It's got adventure, romance, gory war, spies, time travel..... and the hero is a Fraser. Lots of real historic people in amongst the fictional.

There aren't enough stars to fairly rate this book.

peapod
thanks for the recommendation ladyC.

LadyC
There'll be a quiz later, pea, so I suggest you head to the library soon... like today.

peapod
Adieu big H, I will leave with my kit when the clock strikes two :P I will take some pics of my adventure and send them to you

peapod
"Yng Nghymru daeth etifeddiaeth o oresgyn llwyr 'i phroblemau'i hun, yn benodol dig a oedd, yn hinsawdd economaidd ansefydlog diwedd y 14eg ganrif, wedi'i ganoli ar y bwrdeisdrefi Seisnig ac wedi ei gyfeirio tuag at swyddogion yr Eglwys a'r ladwriaeth a ddeuai yn bennaf o siroedd Seisnig y gororau neu o ymhellach draw. O 1400 ymlaen fe sianelwyd y dig hwn i rthryfel Owain Glyndwr, ac yn dilyn y profiad annifyr hwnnw fe ystyriwyd Cymru gydag amheuaeth ac ofn gan y mwyafrif o Saeson."

peapod
still waiting for da translate :P

Hard-Luck Henry
Okay:

"In Wales, the heritage of complete conquest brought its own problems, notably a resentment which, in the unsettled economic climate of the late 14th century, was focused on the Anglicized boroughs and directed against officials in Church and State who were mostly from the English border shires or even further afield. This resentment was channelled into rebellion by Owain Glyndwr from 1400 and after this unpleasant experience most Englishmen regarded Wales with suspicion and fear."

manda
AAAh, where are you learning Welsh Pea? y grandads from Wales and I only know select words... and the Welsh society is useless here!

peapod
I am learning the easy way manda...google :P yummy words eh? just like bigh...the yummy part I mean

manda
Do you know how hard it is to find books, or places that are willing/have the ability to teach it?

peapod
Well there seems to be a abundance of it on dis net. Perhaps bigh could teach you...keep you after class and such

Hard-Luck Henry
Blimey - I'm having enough trouble teaching myself! It's a dastardly hard language to learn - tenses are a nightmare.

Try these sites, for a few pointers:

www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/ (external - login to view)

Pronounciation:

www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/media...sh-lessons_4x3 (external - login to view)

Also, if you want short translations, the people at the Welsh language Board are incredibly helpful. Send them an email and they always try to help (they've helped me with some of pea's more outlandish attempts )

www.bwrdd-yr-iaith.org.uk/en/...?cID=8&pID=184 (external - login to view)

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Well there seems to be a abundance of it on dis net. Perhaps bigh could teach you...keep you after class and such

Oye! what would the mr manda think of the extra time I spend with Bigh speaking in tongues?

peapod
You be the female of the da species, you can pull if off

manda
nyuck nyuck...he'd just chalk it up to one of my weird days