She was a good old girl.

Ten Packs
Tougher than nails - raised on a sod-buster's farm northeast of Regina, near a place called Avonhurst, that doesnt even exist now.
Being in the middle of 8 or 9 kids, ruled by a miseriable old Prussian-German who thought BEATING kids was the way to raise them, she stood up to the "Old Man" for her little brothers and sisters. So SHE took the beatings for them - CLOSED-FIST-beatings, sometimes! - and that's what made her tough enough to survive a failed marriage to a drunk, move on from that and raise her daughter alone.... working in Woolworths by day, and scrubbing floors by night.
Then she met a member of the Canadian Air Force (this was during WWII) and married him - from what I hear, a real nice guy.) But he would not see the end of the War. Back to square one.

In the late 40's, she met a Navy Veteran that turned out to be my Dad, a bit of "partying", a bit of "romance". They married in July of 1950 - I was born a bit more than a year later, in August of '51. He joined the Singer Sewing Machine Company, and became a Store Manager within a short time.
Struggled in southern Saskatchewan - moved to Oregon when I was in grade 2 - back to Canada (VAncouver) when I was in grade 5. My Mom would work full-time as a "seamstress" for a furniture-remodeler. And THEN after dinner, would sew PRIVATE contrats, until my bed-time when I was 12 or so.

At my age of 19 - they had an opportunity to get a Singer Sewing machine of their own. They jumped at it - I rented their house in Vancouver back from them until two visits up to Vernon convinced me to get the Hell out of Vancouver.

They did so well (and my Dad was ALWAYS an Honest businessman, btw!) that they paid their home off in about 6 years. For about 15 years after they retired in 1979, they wintered in a large Motor-Home in Hemet, California - about an hour or so from L.A.

My Mom was able to see me and my wife bring up two wonderful Grand-sons that I am quite proud of, and who had a close relationship with Gramma for the 14 years we lived in the same town. Unfortunately, we were then transferred - but only about 80 miles away, so the "older" boys still were able to keep in touch.
They are in their '30's now, and cant visit very often, but they have tried when they could.
I do the same; I am retired, living about 75 miles away - and have tried to go there as often as I can, .... sometimes as much as every 2nd weekend or more - Phone every second night.
She got very frail the last few years - both mentally and physically.

The reason I am posting this "talking-to-myself" message???

My Mom died at about 8:30 Pacific tonight.

It kinda sucks, ya know? ...... major.

missile
I know that you are thankful you have such memories of a good woman and wish to extend my sympathy to you at this time..

Ten Packs
Thanks missle - I believe I will stumble off to bed now - gotta be on the road in nine hours to see my Dad.

missile
He will need a lot of support to get through this,likewise yourself.Take care!

zenfisher
Edge and I send our support in your time of loss. We send our deepest sympathies.
Zen & Edge

Reverend Blair
Condolences, Ten Packs. I know it ain't easy.

hollaback
Hey i know how you feel...I lost my Dad when I was only 14 years old. SIx years later and I still cry about the times I could have shared with him.
Your mom sounds like an amazing women, be proud of her and charish your memories. Take time and look at the stars, and let her know once in awhile how much she means to you...take care

tibear
My condolences on your loss.

galianomama
what a wonderful tribute you wrote about your mom! she must have been an incredible individual. take care ten packs, my thoughts are with you.

peapod
I am sorry ten paks, safe journey.

Ten Packs
Sincere thanks to everyone for their thoughts and good wishes. I take comfort that she is now somewhere free of pain and her mind works again. Things went better than I expected today, Dad seems to be keeping it together pretty well. Got the arrangements made at the Funeral home and made some phone calls for him.

Just gotta take it all a day at a time from now on, for a while.

Vanni Fucci
Damn...I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier...

Sorry to hear about your loss Ten Packs...she will be remembered well I'm sure...

Ten Packs
I'm just "bumpin" this thread because I'm half-pissed (or better) and generally dont give a crap, right now.

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by Ten Packs

I'm just "bumpin" this thread because I'm half-pissed (or better) and generally dont give a crap, right now.

I'm sure that there is a point to Life - I'd be darn grateful if someone could fill me in....

Ten Packs

I'm sure that there is a point to Life - I'd be darn grateful if someone could fill me in....

Of course, I am also somewhat drunk... so pay me no mind, okay?

Ten Packs
Boy, do I feel like crap today.... (shakes head)

Reverend Blair
I think you're entitled, Ten Packs.

Cosmo
Condolences Ten Packs. What a lovely post. You are fortunate to have shared such a wonderful bond with your mother. Not all of us have that and it does my heart good to hear the sentiments you express. It must make the loss deeper, though, and my thoughts are with you.

Trite as it sounds, time does smooth the jagged edges of sorrow. I lost my brother and each year it gets easier and easier to remember the joyful parts without being overwhelmed by the sadness.

Just wanted you to know I'm wishing you well.

Ten Packs
Thanks cosmo.