neighbourhood rugrat

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
The neighbourhood rugrat is always asking me questions I cannot answer :p So from now on instead of having to spend time looking for the answer....I am gonna ask them here...This is his latest question???

How come if a beam of light is shining on the ground, it will move on the ground as you move your head and body??

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Someplace, and I don't have it, is a book on photographic lighting called "Ambience" . It's about 300 pages of mostly diagrams and photographs. I'm sure it would keep the kid entertained for hours.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
How come if a beam of light is shining on the ground, it will move on the ground as you move your head and body??

When I was about 8yrs oldest my sister ( 8 yrs older) was taking a philosphy class. I was fortunate (?) enough to be the practice board for her. They were discussing the reality of the inanimate. She told me that things only existed while in your line of sight. This was fantastic to me. I'd run around corners as fast as my little 8yr old legs would take me to see if I could 'catch' things appearing.

Tell the little rugrat that the light beam doesn't want to disappear from excistence so it's following his line of sight.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well thanks for all the suggests,but ehm...I should have explained better, anything under sixteen is a rugrat to me :p ...but ehm..he is 11 so he is really a mini dude :p ...so no, he is looking for some scientific explantion, as would any mini dude :p And dude he is with his little fishing vest and sunglasses...the mini dude is very cool 8) If I was 10 again I would beat the crap out of him, just to show him how much I liked him :p :p

I on the other hand like twila's defination, I actually managed to catch a few twila, but they are locked up in a box. :wink: and ladyc sent me one along the same lines... and rev I am not buying that book, it sounds way to expensive :p

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
peapod said:

Ask him an equally crazy question, like:

If you were to accellerate a car in a vacuum to 100 km per hour, and flipped on the high-beams, would C=C+100 kph?

...because if that's so then C is not a constant, and Einstein's theory of general relativity goes down the crapper... 8O

Hammie

Jan 31, 2005
Victoria BC
As I have found with my little rugrats, the simpler the better, but always with a sci-fi twist because it gets the imaginations going. Sometimes I will admit I don't know but offer off-the-wall explanations and we get so distracted and off-subject that is doesn't matter anymore.

The question begs an answer :roll: so I will try that the beam is merely refracted light and not a true single beam so it is always moving depending on the light source, refracting with each move. :lol:

Hammie

Jan 31, 2005
Victoria BC
:p Fishing with you while you are in withdraw from cigs..........hmm...........out in the bush......hmmm....alone......with nobody to rescue me....hmmmm.....k...only if we can go as a group ok

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: come into my parlor said the spider to the fly...I don't fish in groups hammie...thats not fishing...that's ehm...annoying and its for drunks :p