Forum Survivor Idea

View Poll Results: Should we vote people off CanadianForum Island?
Yes, dump em! 6 100.00%
No, I like the whining 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Cosmo
Since this forum has recently been inundated with bull****, what if we used the survivor model? What about starting a poll ... anyone you'd like to vote off this little island??

Seems like 50% isn't enough, but if someone gets 70% votes to get ousted, maybe the moderators can remove them? Just an idea. Who agrees?

missile
Count me in. Even if I'm one of the castoffs to be! democracy rules.

Cosmo
Dunno Missile ... with that attitude I wouldn't vote ya off

missile
If I was able to,I'd be blushing right now.

Cosmo
Na ... just saw you are a "retired postal worker" and decided I'd better be nice to you

Actually, I find you quite rational and more interested in participation than trouble making. Wouldn't even add you to my "ignore" list if I had the option!

missile
I have only known a couple of posties who were disgruntled[real psycho nuts]..one of them carried a sawed off and a .357 on the job! but, getting rid of some posters? Hm! Some of that religious discussion is out of bounds, same as the abortion issue[getting out of hand,too] On another forum I used to be with,posters who strayed over the boundaries were given 5 warnings[a box under their avatar] & after that,they were out of there.

Reverend Blair
That sounds like a pretty good system, Missile. If they behoved for a certain period did they credits back too?

missile
Nope,they had to re register and start all over.One girl had well over a thousand posts when she was booted off.

missile
I should have mentioned that even her avatar was X Rated and most of her posts were very sexual in nature. Another poster was banned for posting a photo of an aborted fetus[this was on Star Forums-part of the American media group out of Fla.]

Reverend Blair
Still, it sounds like a good system. The trolls would last less than a day. I think that if there was a system for gaining credit back (based on number of posts, not time) it would be better though.

missile
Most of the problems at Star were the result of absentee admin and the trolls really took over. I was there only 6 months and they shut us down at least 4 times. It's back now and registration is so tightened up that most of the good posters I used to know there can't even get back in.The trolls here arepretty tame compared to the ones I've met there,but an ignore button and a report this post to the admin are very good ideas.

Reverend Blair
The trolls here are only tame so far, Missile. They get worse pretty quickly.

missile
They do get braver when they find a few kindred souls to go along with their nonsense. Okay,it is better to step on them right now then. I'm out of here now-couple of haunting specials on the tube I want to check out.

Cosmo
FYI ... I spoke with Andem and he suggested we use the "report" button on the bottom of posts that are abusive or inappropriate. I have used this option with red dog.

Andem
That sounds like an excellent idea.

Democracy does rule, missile.

Except I think since voting is anonymous and somebody could easily create a new account and vote again, a system of submitting tickets (Via the Report button) would be the best way to go.

Cosmo
Dunno about anonymous voting, Admen ... I would suggest it not be anonymous. I think it should be right up front, backed by reasons and not just whim. But being you are the Forum King, I am happy to use whatever method you devise to rid ourselves of the troll brigade and get back to having a great place to visit.

peapod
just saw you are a "retired postal worker" and decided I'd better be nice to you

hahahahhahahhahahahhaha...thats right

Jay
Why doesn't this group who runs this forum and/or site simply make a sign that says, exclusive club?

Iíve seen a few ppl around here say things that are going to set some ppl off, some are moderators some are not.

Itís OK for Vanni to chew out Tibear, or Rev to call me insane, but I'm just a troll?

Seriously, you ppl are misrepresenting yourselves.

Maybe take out all political threads and only have ****s and giggles threads around here, then you all can have your dreamy forum that has been so ruined by me.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Why doesn't this group who runs this forum and/or site simply make a sign that says, exclusive club?

Iíve seen a few ppl around here say things that are going to set some ppl off, some are moderators some are not.

Itís OK for Vanni to chew out Tibear, or Rev to call me insane, but I'm just a troll?

Seriously, you ppl are misrepresenting yourselves.

Maybe take out all political threads and only have ****s and giggles threads around here, then you all can have your dreamy forum that has been so ruined by me.

I don't know how we misrepresent ourselves, Jay. Perhaps it is an exclusive club ... reserved for those who are not simply **** disturbers looking to drag everyone down to their level. And if it IS an exclusive club, so what??? Go somewhere else if you don't like it. There are a zillion forums out there. Find the one that suits you and stop your complaining.

The way things are done around here is just the way things are done around here. All your pissing and moaning isn't going to change that. I, personally, think you are a trouble maker and wish you would take yourself elsewhere. Instead of adding to the wealth of this forum you choose to be miserable and negative. Just my opinion, which I AM entitled to.

As for ****s and giggles threads ... I happen to enjoy them. I do not come here to get involved in this kind of mud slinging, but unfortunately it seems to have degenerated to that. Is it coincidence that this fall from grace occurred with the arrival of various people that have been labelled "trolls"? I think not.

For your info, Jay, although I originally joined here for some fun and entertainment, I have learned a great deal during my time here. People have put forth ideas and thoughts that have inspired me to research and form my own opinions. It's been very good for me. I don't always agree, but at least I'm motivated to think. Even ****s and giggles have their place.

What I don't get is why you continue to come here and argue. You have every right to your opinion. I have never stated anything contrary to that. What you don't have a right to do is cause ire and upheaval for no good reason. You are not persuading anyone to your point of view, you are not adding anything. Your posts are comparable to a mosquito in the bedroom at night ... sometimes I can ignore it, sometimes I take the time to get up and swat it. Either way, it's annoying.

Play nice or go away, Jay. It's that simple. Anyone who can behave in a friendly manner is invariably welcomed in this forum. Anyone looking for trouble is not. It's pretty simple.

Jay
"What you don't have a right to do is cause ire and upheaval for no good reason."

When I joined up ppl were dissing ppl like me all the live long day around here.
You are acting as if this is some pristine environment that no has tinkled in yet. There was no shortage of right wing Christian bashing going on here, I step in and shoot back and you all have a problem with it? Could yall even be more hypocritical? I doubt it.

I do play nice, when nice is the game.

As opposed to say Reverend who is always nice and cheerful?

I seem to remember a post he placed around here somewhere, where he discussed the harassment and the nasty emails and the threats etc. You don't earn things like that by being nice.

(No offence Rev. Just giving examples.)

You donít have to read all the posts here; you donít have to engage ppl you donít want to. Simple.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

There was no shortage of right wing Christian bashing going on here, I step in and shoot back and you all have a problem with it? Could yall even be more hypocritical? I doubt it.

Hypocritical? Perhaps. But the overwhelming majority of opinions here are not supportive of right wing politics and religions. If you're going to jump into a forum whose basic philosophy is so divergent from your own, you ought to expect a few kicks in the pants.

It mystifies my why people go to forums or groups that hold views and opinions they find offensive. If there were a limited number of forums I would put a whole lot more effort into being more tolerant but there is any number of places you would find less confrontational. I am a non-christian lesbian with a secret affection for anarchy ... there is no way in hell you and I are going to agree on much. But I wouldn't drag my butt into a born again or a conservative forum.

Anyway, that's just how I see it ... and the numbers in the poll suggest I am not alone. My advice? Lighten up, big guy. It's just life and nobody gets out alive.

merryclaire
can somebody tell me what a troll is please?

Reverend Blair
A troll is somebody who posts things just to get a negative reaction. They often follow regular posters from thread to thread and sometimes board to board, often try to drag threads they don't like off-topic, make personal attacks without provocation.

Some are motivated by trying to silence any discussion that goes against their political stance. These aren't the people making points that may be contentious, but the people who have no point and do not have a supporting argument for their stance.

Others just like to start trouble. They get their jollies by starting a conflict. These kind of trolls often disappear when the trouble has started.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by merryclaire

can somebody tell me what a troll is please?

Merryclaire ... a troll is someone who joins a forum for the primary purpose of creating trouble. Trolls will seek out forums whose members predominantly hold opposing beliefs to their own, then argue in post after post with the regular forum folk.

It would be like me joining a homophobic right wing forum just to argue about same sex marriage. I don't understand why people do this, but there is something perverse wired into our natures that tempts us all to do so. What separates the trolls from the rest of us is their inability to control that impulse. They create all kinds of discord without contributing significantly to the quality of the forum.

I have seen forums destroyed by these vermin. Thankfully we have a strong core group, responsible owner and moderators and a disproportionate level of wit and good humour here. While now and then the trolls succeed in riling some of us up, generally they are treated like the nuisances they are.

There are members here whose opinions differ radically from my own and I find these people welcome additions. The debates are stimulating and thought provoking, free of character assassination and malevolent intent. If we all thought the same way, this would be a very boring place indeed so simply disagreeing does not make a person a troll. In my opinion, it comes down to intent.

My two cents worth.

merryclaire
thank you RB & Cosmo...i kept seeing that word from time to time and was wondering what it meant

John
What about freedom of speech?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by John

What about freedom of speech?

freedom of speach is in direct proportion to how "agreeable" your speech is to the majority of any group. Boards that calim to be "free speech" boards are usually those that curtail free speech the most. If not the administration then the populous of that board.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh

freedom of speach is in direct proportion to how "agreeable" your speech is to the majority of any group. Boards that calim to be "free speech" boards are usually those that curtail free speech the most. If not the administration then the populous of that board.

Exactly!!! Democracy rules. If you don't like the underlying sentiment of any one forum, toddle off to another more suited to your philosophies and tastes. Finally, Gerryh, someone gets it.

I don't think the issue is about free speech, but rather about a community of like-minded individuals enjoying the company of one another. I certainly don't agree with everything everyone says here, but thoroughly enjoy spirited discussion of our differences -- providing the discussion is more than a covert attempt to devalue or discredit my point of view. It's pretty easy to spot who is looking for conversation and who is looking for a fight, right Gerry?