Darwin Day

View Poll Results: Should Canada make Darwin Day a national statuatory holiday?
Yes 8 72.73%
Of course 1 9.09%
No. I hate science. 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reverend Blair
I don't hate Alberta at all. I hate that some people think that short-term gain is worth trashing the planet over.

red dog
Your not in a position to tell us how to run our province,not untill you can run your own.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Trashing the viva site? Have'nt even made a post there so dont know what your talking about.

You keep mentioning it. You've been trashing this site. The implication is clear.

Quote:

What the heck is "jesusland"?

The red states after the US election. Do you not follow the news?

Quote:

Why do you hate Alberta so much?

I don't. I explained that already. Why do you hate Manitoba?

Quote:

Your not in a position to tell us how to run our province,not untill you can run your own.

You poison my air, I bitch.

red dog
Why would I take advice from someone that's pumping out 2.5 times more greenhouse gasses per capita then anyone else in the developed world?
Tell me why I should rev.

What makes you an expert?

Reverend Blair
Are you done yet?

red dog
You cant answer that or what? it's an honest question,maybe I should rephrase it.

Why should I listen to someone tell me how to run our province when they cant even look after their own.

Simple question dude.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Why would I take advice from someone that's pumping out 2.5 times more greenhouse gasses per capita then anyone else in the developed world?
Tell me why I should rev.

First of all you've never figured out that electricity in Manitoba doesn't pump out greenhouse gases. It's generated by hydro, not burning fossil fuels. Second of all I told you several times that I agree that Manitobans are very wasteful and that I'd been bitching about it since I moved here. You refused to take yes for an answer.

Reverend Blair
A little impatient, aren't you?

Reverend Blair
Are you done yet?

red dog
Well if you cant answer why we should take advice from you then yes,obviously your at a loss to answer it so.
You cant answer a simple question,I'll be back later to see if you can come up with a reason why the province of Alberta should listen to Manitoba tell us how to cure our woes.
This should be good.

Reverend Blair
It isn't Manitoba, Red Dog. It's Canada and most of the developed world. I just live in Manitoba and you've been looking for a personal scrap since Friday afternoon...before you decided to trash this place.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by red dog

Well if you cant answer why we should take advice from you then yes,obviously your at a loss to answer it so.
You cant answer a simple question,I'll be back later to see if you can come up with a reason why the province of Alberta should listen to Manitoba tell us how to cure our woes.
This should be good.

red dog ... what bug is up your butt? There is a forum for the Koyoto topic, go there and discuss it. This topic is about Darwin Day. Stay on topic, particularly if you're going to be pissy.

Seems to me you are sitting around waiting to pounce on Rev. You're not scoring any points. All you are doing is alienating yourself here. If you don't like the moderators, the opinions or the personalities here at Candian Content, move along. There's a whole wide world web out there just waiting for ya. Stop fouling our nest.

Since we do not yet have an "ignore" option on this forum, I shall follow the recommendation of Andem and send a report of your behaviour (he pointed out the little "report" button at the bottom of posts). It is my hope that people who come here just looking for fights will be given an invitation to the world and excluded from our community.

Ok, I'm off topic, but I wanted to let you know who was reporting you.

Darwin Day? I'm for it more than ever now.

sparky
I am reporting to Cosmo

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by sparky

I am reporting to Cosmo

Report noted and filed. Your next mission is Troll Patrol ... arm yourself with humour, nonsense and mace. Go get em soldier!!

peapod
Sparky was once "stalked" its really dumb to stalk someone who works in law enforcement.

Reverend Blair
That would be a bad idea, wouldn't it?

Hard-Luck Henry
i thought this was interesting - it's a discussion about the Burgess Shale in B.C., the so-called "Cambrian explosion" in evolution (although I'm not sure if licensing laws allow you to hear it. Apologies, if that's the case (you might be able to download the mp3))

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...nourtime.shtml (external - login to view)

Reverend Blair
Is that a regular science show, Emma? I'm listening to right now and it sounds pretty good...a lot like Quirks and Quarks here. If so, it's going to become a regular part of my listening schedule.

Hard-Luck Henry
It's not always science, Rev., it's about ideas in general, so some programmes are about philosophy, art, religion, etc. Check out the archive:

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...ive_home.shtml (external - login to view)

Reverend Blair
Ah, so it's more like the show called "Ideas" here. I'll still make it a regular part of my listening then.

Reverend Blair
And for anybody near a radio on Saturday...
Quote:

This week on Quirks & Quarks our feature item is:

"From Cave Cravings to Canapes:" The Evolution of Human Diet.

Advice for healthy eating is everywhere these days, usually wrapped up
with a scientific rationale. One long-standing suggestion is to get back
to our roots, and eat the kinds of foods our ancestors did. After all,
if we evolved to eat certain foods, wouldn't that be what's best for us
today? The problem is that it's difficult to determine what those
ancient cave-people were consuming. But new research, presented at the
American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting last week,
might give us some clues, and also explain why a prehistoric diet may
not be the best choice for modern Homo sapiens.

Plus - why bird-brain may be a misnomer.

All this and more on Quirks & Quarks, Saturday right after the noon
news on Radio One.

Bob McDonald
Host

For those of you who aren't lucky enough to get CBC Radio One you can listen on the internet by going to http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/

Reverend Blair
This is kind of interesting too:
Quote:

Two Ethiopian fossils have been crowned as the oldest known members of our species. An estimated 195,000 years old, the pair were witness to the earliest days of Homo sapiens.

The discovery adds yet more weight to the argument that Africa, and Ethiopia in particular, was the birthplace of humans. The dating sits well with genetic analyses of modern populations, which suggest that H. sapiens first appeared in Africa around 200,000 years ago.

You can find the whole story at Nature. (external - login to view)

It shows how modern techniques for dating fossils is confirming and expanding evolutionary theory.

sezo
Well, purely as someone who is from Darwin's home town, well where he went to school at least (in Shrewsbury, England) a Darwin day would be pretty cool! He doesn't get as much press as he ought to. It would be great to have a day that celebrates rationality, the beginnings of our modern day thought, philosophy and science.
And then of course we would have the debates surrounding how his work is all in theory - opening peoples minds to how Creation myths could still be right.
I love a good debate

Sezo
x

Reverend Blair
Nah. Creation myths are cool. They give insight into cultures so the anthropologists love them. They'll never honestly win out over science though.

Darwin's theory may "just" be a theory, but it is scientifically sound and has withstood more challenges than any other theory. It also has a plethora of evidence backing it up.

peapod
This might be a good site to end this thread :P

www.edge.org/3rd_culture/mayr/mayr_index.html (external - login to view)