Darwin Day

View Poll Results: Should Canada make Darwin Day a national statuatory holiday?
Yes 8 72.73%
Of course 1 9.09%
No. I hate science. 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Jay
#31
I thought everday was Darwin day?
 
Reverend Blair
#32
We need a national holiday for it, Jay...beat these Creationists back to the darka ages where they belong.
 
tibear
#33
RB,

So you want this holiday, not to recognize Darwin but rather to "irk" a group of people that don't share your beliefs. Rather childish behaviour don't you think.

Kind of like the Orange Parade's in Ireland. How the Protestants that participate in this parade can think it doesn't rile up the Catholics is beyond me. Any event who's sole purpose is to belittle another group should be prohibited.

How do you feel about the holidays we get for Good Friday, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Your probably OK with them because you get a day off with pay. Funny how your all for aspects of religion that have benefit for you but completely against anything religious that has no direct benefit for you personally.

Interesting perspective. Here I thought you, Peapod, Cosmo, Vanni, Gonzo,..... were of the opinion that we should all live together without forcing our beliefs onto others. I guess this thread shows that you really don't believe that.
 
peapod
#34
Here is another prespective, you are has obvious as a mac truck :P
And I work all holidays...I bank my time.... Than I can take a really long holiday. Again you can believe whatever you like, and we will believe whatever we like...simple really.
 
Reverend Blair
#35
Actually I want it to recognise Darwin and the fact that we live in a country that makes decisions based on science and fact, not religion. Given the inroads the religious rights has recently made into US schools and the fact that several of the same ilk are members of our official opposition, I think it is very important to recognise science and its role in our society.

We have, as you mentioned, several religious holidays already.

To further answer your question...I work out of my house. I get paid by the job, not the hour. When I take time off depends on when my deadlines are and how much slacking off I've done, not when the Pope decided Easter should be this year.
 
tibear
#36
The difference between the "religious" holidays and your proposed holiday is that the "religious" holidays aren't there to "spit" in anyone's eye. They were created at a time when the vast majority of the country was of Christian believe(still is BTW) and wasn't created to impose believes onto others. However, your proposal is put forth not in celebration of anything but as a "poke in the eye" event.

As you can probably guess, I also don't appreciate the "poll" you've created. You've worded the poll so that there is really only one answer. The first two are the same and the third combines two mutually exclusive ideas.
 
peapod
#37
This is a message board where we are "free" if you want to see only your beliefs than I suggest you join freedom dommion. There you can censor, delete, ban, threaten anyone that does not hold your view. You are entitled to believe anything you like, just as we are. If you are insulted by Darwin thats your problem, not ours.
 
tibear
#38
Pea,

I don't have a problem with Darwin. In fact, I think he was a rather ingenius man. The problem I have is the fact that RB wants to create a holiday not to celebrate the man but to "tick off" a large segment of the population.

If that isn't the attitude of a small person, I don't know what is.

RB,

If you don't believe in any of the religious holidays, then don't celebrate them. Nobody is going door to door with guns forcing you to attend church on those days. At least not in my neighbourhood of Winnipeg. Does your wife take those days off with pay???
 
peapod
#39
No actually.....its not about you at all tibear *long sigh* but it does not surprise me that you do think its about you. If you go back and read all the rev's posts....long before you ever came here, you will read his admiration and knowledge of Darwin. He has been discussed here before :P This is a "free" board, there have been topics brought up here that I did not like...but, hey suck it up, its the price of "freedom" allowing others to believe what works for them. And yes I am sure it is a poke in the eye for you to see this poll, but if we only had to bring up topics that did not offend you, well.....ehm....What the hell would we talk about????...ehm...never mind I got a good idea what they would be :P
 
tibear
#40
Pea,

Let me quote from RB
Quote:

We need a national holiday for it, Jay...beat these Creationists back to the darka ages where they belong.

This doesn't sound like someone who wants to celebrate Darwin, but a man out to start a fight.
 
peapod
#41
ya.....sure....alrighty than...got some swampland you wanna sell me in florida to :P kindergarden tactics......hahahahahahahahaha
 
Cosmo
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by tibear

The difference between the "religious" holidays and your proposed holiday is that the "religious" holidays aren't there to "spit" in anyone's eye.

uh ... time to up the meds, Tibear?? Yer sounding a little paranoid, buddy. Why do you see it as a personal attack??? It's not always about you, ya know. Sometimes us evolutionists would like our beliefs getting equal time.

As for taking "religious" holidays off work? Well, I'll take any day with pay I can get. I'm secure enough in my own beliefs to not be resentful of anyone else celebrating their beliefs. Shoot, I'll even join in if it gets me a day with pay!

So you don't believe in evolution. So what? Why is it so offensive to you that some of us do believe? Is your faith so shakey it can't survive under the weight of scrutiny or stand in the face of differing opinion? If it is that fragile, I question its validity.

I dunno Tibear, but it seems to me that you take things waaaaay too personal. To borrow a Dolly Parton quote: "Get off the cross, honey, somebody needs the wood". Instead of pitching fits and playing martyr, tell me why having a Darwin Day would be so bad. And don't quote me scripture ... it's suspect to me and carries no weight. Give me something more substantial. Give me some original thought on the topic.

Claiming to be a persecuted one here on this forum doesn't cut it. I hate to burst your ego bubble, but you just ain't that important. None of us are. A little humility, if you please. Engage, don't estrange and you'll find this a lot more welcoming place.

But that's just my opinion.
 
Reverend Blair
#43
Quote:

The difference between the "religious" holidays and your proposed holiday is that the "religious" holidays aren't there to "spit" in anyone's eye.

They are there to promote a religion. That's why they happen on what used to be pagan holidays.

Quote:

They were created at a time when the vast majority of the country was of Christian believe(still is BTW) and wasn't created to impose believes onto others.

Most of the country now believes in evolution.

Quote:

However, your proposal is put forth not in celebration of anything but as a "poke in the eye" event.

Nope. My proposal is based on the fact that there is long weekend in February, Darwin's birthday is Feb 12, and we need to promote science to combat the influx of superstition creeping back into our society.

Quote:

As you can probably guess, I also don't appreciate the "poll" you've created. You've worded the poll so that there is really only one answer.

Yes I did. There really is only one answer. If somebody comes up with a real scientific theory that challenges evolution, then I'll include it as an option.

Quote:

If you don't believe in any of the religious holidays, then don't celebrate them.

Okay.

Quote:

Does your wife take those days off with pay???

Do you know anything about my wife's beliefs?
 
tibear
#44
Cosmo,

I do believe in evolution. When did I say I didn't?

I simply don't like the idea of doing something just to tick a large segment of the population off.

Quote:

Well, I'll take any day with pay I can get. I'm secure enough in my own beliefs to not be resentful of anyone else celebrating their beliefs.

Not that its ever going to happen, but does that mean that if there was an "Arian" day you would be all for it because you got a day off with pay???

I just don't see a need to create a new holiday for someone who admitedly was a good scientist, but so were many others. Darwin wasn't a Canadian so he wouldn't qualify that way. Why a scientist, why not an artist, politician, philosopher or an athlete??

I don't really have anything against Darwin, I just don't really see why him ahead of others. Why not Rene Descartes or some other person??
 
tibear
#45
RB,

The religious holidays we celebrate in Canada have NOTHING to do with promoting the faith but celebrating. The Christian faiths don't have "recruiting drives" on these days.(At least I've never seen them.)

BTW, most Christians now also believe in evolution so what's your point???

Quote:

we need to promote science to combat the influx of superstition creeping back into our society

Can you please be specific with the "superstition creeping back into society???

Quote:

If somebody comes up with a real scientific theory that challenges evolution, then I'll include it as an option

As I stated earlier, I do believe in evolution, but don't think we need a holiday for it.

The question about your wife's work was to see if you get any direct benefit from these "holy days" that you so detest.
 
hollaback
#46
Well, I personally think that making Darwin's birthday a national Canadian holiday is ridiculous. Not because it goes agianst religion or anything...I have no problem with science, while I believe that evolution is wrong, people are free to believe what they want...this I have learned from you guys. I personally love science and find it very interesting, while I still hold my beliefs in God. But I think that if anyone should make Darwin's birthday a national holiday it should be where he was born, not Canada, who has no substantial affiliation with the man. In my opinion Canada should make Feb.15 a national holiday because it was the day the Canadian flag was raised...did you know that this year was its 40th birthday?, proabaly not until the day passed...I think that celebrating Canada is for more urgent that celebrating Darwin, who I know was a genius. Canadians need to become more proud of their country if we are to stand up to those Americans, and this is a great way of doing it. Now I think it was RB who said that Canada works by science and reason, not religion has obviously been living in a hole for the past months...a little thing called same-sex marriage, it seems to me that Canadians are forming much of their opinion based on religion. Religion is not some pre-revloutioanry thing, it is just as important to people today as it was then...and I think that for a man who talks about the freedom to express ones beliefs shouldn't be so hypocritical...if I am able to accept your beliefs deal with mine and don't promote a holiday that puts us back into the "dark ages", promote it because it celebrates the man...obviously I will take that personally, and so will tiber, becasue you are attacking our beliefs, same reason why you all do....well that is my opinion for now
 
Reverend Blair
#47
Quote:

The religious holidays we celebrate in Canada have NOTHING to do with promoting the faith but celebrating.

Really? I don't remember getting a day off for solstice. Why is that?

Quote:

Can you please be specific with the "superstition creeping back into society???

Creationism, mostly...literalism by extension. It would be a day to put forth reason over all superstitions though. The earth is round; we evolved from pond scum; we are not here to rule all creation, but as part of it...you get the idea.

Quote:

As I stated earlier, I do believe in evolution, but don't think we need a holiday for it.

Why not? It is the single theory that most defines, and has most affected, modern science. It has changed our whole society and greatly expanded our understanding of the modern world. It has changed our art, created great writers, and just generally shifted the entire consciousness of the western world.

Quote:

The question about your wife's work was to see if you get any direct benefit from these "holy days" that you so detest.

Benefit? From my wife getting a day off? You mean so she can haul water and chop wood for for me? I'll ask her the next time a long weekend rolls around, but I'm pretty sure she'll have things of her own to do....
 
hollaback
#48
hmmm, RB you may be somewhat convincing me.
I don't know if it should be made a Canadain holiday persay...but I do think that his brithday should be given more recognition than it gets now...becasue you are right, it has had a very big impact on the world, whether a Christian or not...maybe it doesn't even have to be a day recognizing evolution, but of the evolution of science
 
peapod
#49
I don't see how we are attacking tibear's belief here holloback, he has already stated he believes in evolution. And holloback I have created threads on the very subject of flag day, lots of great posts, you should go and read it. Instead we deal with "agenda" issues. There is no point to the same sex marriage issue anymore canadians have told you how they feel. Now it will be debated. If it passes many of us will rejoice. If it does not than you will rejoice.

Post whatever you like about your beliefs, that is what this board is about, that is your right, but be prepared also to read things you don't like. And darwin day is no more ricidilous than easter sunday.
 
Reverend Blair
#50
I think if we made it into a holiday in Canada it would spread pretty quickly, Hollaback. There is already an international society (check the link in my original post) promoting it. Given the influence evolutionary theory (and it has evolved a lot since Darwin) on the rest of science, I think Darwin Day would inevitably become a day to celebrate all of science.
 
tibear
#51
RB,

And you accuse me of going off topic!

What does soltice day have to do with Thanksgiving Day. I will acknowledge before you make a big deal out of it, that most Christian celebrations did have their history in pagan celebrations. So what???

If you want to celebrate Darwin on Christmas, go ahead. In fact, wouldn't that be the perfect day. Christians celebrate the day of their Saviour on Dec 25, why don't you celebrate Darwin on that day, since you equate him with being your saviour.

As for your wife, I guess your view of marriage is different than that of traditional definition where both partners are equal and share everything. Evidently, if your wife gets paid for a holiday you don't any part of her wealth.

On a slightly different topic, but still related to your wife and your relationship. Why did you bother getting married? You don't believe in the "sacramental" part of marriage. You never intended on having children. You don't share any material wealth between the two of you. Surely you didn't need a piece of paper to validatethe love you and your wife share. There is no financial benefit to getting married. So why did you get married??? Would you have felt your union would have been lacking if you didn't have the approval of the government of Canada??
 
hollaback
#52
Ummmm, ok first of all, i was just commenting as to why I thought Darwin Day was not the best idea...you all seem to want a holiday, so I gave an ulternative. Quite frankly I don't care that you created many threads on the subject before...that is not the point at the moment, so don't tie your knickers in a knot. I am simply giving an option, whcih would be less controversal and more likely to be adopted. And I strongly take offense to you calling easter ridiculous...most people don't even celebrate it anymore for religious reason, but for chocolate and a big bunny...do you celebrate easter, buy the candy or any of that jazz? If so i guess you are pretty ridiculous.
Oh and just so you know, I have no problem with gay people getting married, i just don't agree with the need to change the definition...so I guess not all religious people are the same
 
hollaback
#53
RB...that is what I think that there should be...not just one day celebrating one aspect of science...but maybe a science month...like black history month...it could be used to promote science and the advancements it has made...maybe that instead of a Darwin Day?
 
tibear
#54
hollaback,

RB isn't interested in celebrating science, he and others here are about slamming anything religious.
 
peapod
#55
Knickers in a knot???? is that like a wedgie??? I can to that...I had brothers :P nasty ones to :P
Just as you believe in "your" defination of marriage...there are many others that don't agree. We will all know soon enough if this will in fact come to pass. I like the science month idea tho..its a good one.
 
Reverend Blair
#56
Quote:

What does soltice day have to do with Thanksgiving Day.

I used solstice as an example because it is an event celebrated by many non-Christian religions.

Quote:

If you want to celebrate Darwin on Christmas, go ahead.

His birthday is February 12, why would I celebrate it at x-mas?

Quote:

since you equate him with being your saviour.

I don't believe in saviours. I know that Darwin came up with a theory that would change everything.

Quote:

Evidently, if your wife gets paid for a holiday you don't any part of her wealth.

Not that our financial arrangements are any of your business, but we share each other's wealth. She also shares money when I stay up half the night typing to meet a deadline. Does that make her a writer?

Quote:

Why did you bother getting married?

We were bored that day and thought it would be fun to have a party.

Quote:

so don't tie your knickers in a knot.

Can I tie 'em in a bow?

Quote:

And I strongly take offense to you calling easter ridiculous...most people don't even celebrate it anymore for religious reason, but for chocolate and a big bunny...do you celebrate easter, buy the candy or any of that jazz?

I have a cat that usually brings home a dead bunny to eat that time of year. She's gotten the exact day right two or three times. Does that count?

Quote:

RB...that is what I think that there should be...not just one day celebrating one aspect of science...but maybe a science month...like black history month...it could be used to promote science and the advancements it has made...maybe that instead of a Darwin Day?

Again though, we need a long weekend in February and Darwin's birthday was on the twelfth. We could designate all of February science month and just pop Darwin Day in there as the holiday. That'd be cool.

Quote:

RB isn't interested in celebrating science, he and others here are about slamming anything religious.

Wrong again, tibear.
 
Jay
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Dear

It is the single theory that most defines, and has most affected, modern science. It has changed our whole society and greatly expanded our understanding of the modern world. It has changed our art, created great writers, and just generally shifted the entire consciousness of the western world.

It is not. Newton has had a far far greater impact on modern anything than Darwin.
Optics is a better theory than evolution, let alone gravity, motion and the others.


Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Dear

Actually I want it to recognise Darwin and the fact that we live in a country that makes decisions based on science and fact, not religion.

Newton was very religious. This must seriously mess up your reality.

And Newtons therories are completely verifiable.


Quote: Originally Posted by Tibear

Why did you bother getting married?

Because if he didnít produce a ring and marry her, she would have pulled his scrotum up over his head...


Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Dear

I don't believe in saviours.

Who is going to save you then Dear?

Quote: Originally Posted by Tibear

This doesn't sound like someone who wants to celebrate Darwin, but a man out to start a fight.


He always wants to fight with me. God created him to do so. And we have to love Dear for it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tibear

Can you please be specific with the "superstition creeping back into society???

He means things like believeing we need another holiday in Febuary.


Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Dear

I have a cat that usually brings home a dead bunny to eat that time of year. She's gotten the exact day right two or three times. Does that count?

Sounds like the cat has something against pagansÖ

It only counts if YOU eat the bunny Dear.


We donít need another holiday, and everyone can go back to work now.
 
Reverend Blair
#58
Quote:

It is not. Newton has had a far far greater impact on modern anything than Darwin.
Optics is a better theory than evolution, let alone gravity, motion and the others.

Uh-uh. Newton's theories (and laws) had a great effect on science, but there was no real societal shift as a result. Newton's theories allowed the church to say that they had misunderstood their god's teachings. Darwin's theory directly contradicted the very first book of the Bible.

Quote:

Newton was very religious. This must seriously mess up your reality.

Darwin was also a very religious man. It hurt him deeply when he could no longer go to church, he even mused privately about recanting his theory. He knew that would be wrong though.

Quote:

And Newtons therories are completely verifiable.

Newtonian physics do not work at the quantum level.

Darwin's theory has been confirmed by fossil finds all over the planet.

The rest of your post is crap, JJ.
 
tibear
#59
RB,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the majority of Christians do believe in evolution. You seem to take great pride in believing in evolution as if it goes against religious teaching.

Again, sorry to tell you but evolution does fit within religious teachings. Christians believe that God created the universe and evolution is simply how he did it.

Creationists are free to believe their theory if they want, it is simply another way that God could have created the universe.

Either way its not a big deal.
 
Vanni Fucci
#60
Quote: Originally Posted by hollaback

But I think that if anyone should make Darwin's birthday a national holiday it should be where he was born, not Canada, who has no substantial affiliation with the man.

Hey Hollaback...I didn't know Jesus was Canadian...
 

Similar Threads

3
Score one more for Darwin
by Nuggler | Jul 10th, 2009
0
Charles Darwin: Do blondes have more fun?
by Blackleaf | Aug 10th, 2008
21
US And The Darwin Theory
by Rick van Opbergen | Nov 26th, 2004
no new posts