Looking for any kind of advice

Sharidon

Jan 15, 2005
Brampton
Well this is the situation my really close friend got arrested in mid-december for possession of Marijuana, now the police officers took away his cell phone and told him that it would be returned to him at his court date, Sooo fine we wait and then the court date comes and no cell phone. We receive the police report and theres no mention of them taking the cell phone from him.. and then we bring it up to his lawyers attention and he tries to get ahold of who he thinks took the phone away noone get's in contact with him, I just spent the last two days going from one police station to the next and nobody seems to be able to help us. Like it just fell off the face of the earth, the thing that frustrates me is that I can't do anything we tell our story to any officer we meet and we get nothing but attitude(it's like all they hear is arrested and Marijuana and they don't like ya!), I don't know what to do we're sick of paying for a phone that we don't have..... but I don't want to drop it because they had no right to take our phone from us. And if they can do it to us how many more people can they do it to.

If anyone out there has an opinion or solution I would really love to hear it..... Cause I don't know what to do anymore....

Sharidon

Jan 15, 2005
Brampton
Well this is the situation my really close friend got arrested in mid-december for possession of Marijuana, now the police officers took away his cell phone and told him that it would be returned to him at his court date, Sooo fine we wait and then the court date comes and no cell phone. We receive the police report and theres no mention of them taking the cell phone from him.. and then we bring it up to his lawyers attention and he tries to get ahold of who he thinks took the phone away noone get's in contact with him, I just spent the last two days going from one police station to the next and nobody seems to be able to help us. Like it just fell off the face of the earth, the thing that frustrates me is that I can't do anything we tell our story to any officer we meet and we get nothing but attitude(it's like all they hear is arrested and Marijuana and they don't like ya!), I don't know what to do we're sick of paying for a phone that we don't have..... but I don't want to drop it because they had no right to take our phone from us. And if they can do it to us how many more people can they do it to.

If anyone out there has an opinion or solution I would really love to hear it..... Cause I don't know what to do anymore....

Sharidon

Jan 15, 2005
Brampton

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The first thing that came to mind is that the police have the cell phone as evidence and are tracing all the numbers that may be stored in it's memory to try to find more suspects. it won't likely be returned until after the trial ,or the case is disposed of.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The first thing that came to mind is that the police have the cell phone as evidence and are tracing all the numbers that may be stored in it's memory to try to find more suspects. it won't likely be returned until after the trial ,or the case is disposed of.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Call the number and see who answers. Call the cell provider to see if there is anyway they can trace it. If there are usage charges on your phone . Guess what, that is theft. Charge the arresting officer with theft ( or the desk sergent ..on second thought both). They were the one who removed it , they are now responsible for any expense inccurred by you. You now have a proof...in your arrest date as to when charges began to appear on your bill. This is excellent proof for a small claims case.( i'm really surprised your lawyer didn't think of that. Well maybe not. Padding the bill I guess. The police are not above the law.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Call the number and see who answers. Call the cell provider to see if there is anyway they can trace it. If there are usage charges on your phone . Guess what, that is theft. Charge the arresting officer with theft ( or the desk sergent ..on second thought both). They were the one who removed it , they are now responsible for any expense inccurred by you. You now have a proof...in your arrest date as to when charges began to appear on your bill. This is excellent proof for a small claims case.( i'm really surprised your lawyer didn't think of that. Well maybe not. Padding the bill I guess. The police are not above the law.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

Sharidon

Jan 15, 2005
Brampton
Re: RE: Looking for any kind of advice

missile said:

I thought of that as well, the only question that comes up is if it's evidence why wasn't it written in the report. And the trial is already over and done with.

Sharidon

Jan 15, 2005
Brampton

missile said:

I thought of that as well, the only question that comes up is if it's evidence why wasn't it written in the report. And the trial is already over and done with.

Sharidon

Jan 15, 2005
Brampton

missile said:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Looking for any kind

Cancel the phone and get another one. They either lost it or stole it. I take it that it wasn't listed on the sheet that they list all your possessions on when they arrest you, so you have no proof they ever had it.

Unless you've got bags of money laying around to pay lawyers and private investigators with, you aren;t going to be able to beat the cops on this one. You might want to contact the local press and see if they are interested in doing a story though.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Cancel the phone and get another one. They either lost it or stole it. I take it that it wasn't listed on the sheet that they list all your possessions on when they arrest you, so you have no proof they ever had it.

Unless you've got bags of money laying around to pay lawyers and private investigators with, you aren;t going to be able to beat the cops on this one. You might want to contact the local press and see if they are interested in doing a story though.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg