If you didn't have to work

peapod
Suppose you win the lottery or a distant relative dies and leaves you a fortune. You have enough money to live comfortably without the need to work.

Would you still go to work? If not, would you be bored. What would you do with you free time

peapod
Suppose you win the lottery or a distant relative dies and leaves you a fortune. You have enough money to live comfortably without the need to work.

Would you still go to work? If not, would you be bored. What would you do with you free time

peapod

NSA
Screw work. I'm not very good at it anyway. I'd go do stuff for Habitat for Humanity or some aid org somewhere. Even just digging ditches somewhere or whatever... why not? It'd be better than turning into this guy (external - login to view). And I'd devote more time to my hobbies, evenings and wekends just don't seem to last as long as they used to .

NSA
Screw work. I'm not very good at it anyway. I'd go do stuff for Habitat for Humanity or some aid org somewhere. Even just digging ditches somewhere or whatever... why not? It'd be better than turning into this guy (external - login to view). And I'd devote more time to my hobbies, evenings and wekends just don't seem to last as long as they used to .

NSA

missile
I took early retirement 5 years ago,have a decent pension and don't miss working one bit. Now,I just enjoy every day doing whatever I feel like..It's great!

missile
I took early retirement 5 years ago,have a decent pension and don't miss working one bit. Now,I just enjoy every day doing whatever I feel like..It's great!

missile

Reverend Blair
I think you have to define work. If you have hobbies and interests that will keep you busy, is that work? Most people seem to work harder at their avocations than their vocations anyway. I think the people who get into trouble with lottery money are the ones who just worked all the time...they have no idea what to do with their spare time.

If I won the lottery, I'd move out in the country someplace though. There's always a lot of work to do in places like that. Actually I'd move now...I can work anyplace with an internet connection...but Mrs. Rev still goes to work every day.

Reverend Blair
I think you have to define work. If you have hobbies and interests that will keep you busy, is that work? Most people seem to work harder at their avocations than their vocations anyway. I think the people who get into trouble with lottery money are the ones who just worked all the time...they have no idea what to do with their spare time.

If I won the lottery, I'd move out in the country someplace though. There's always a lot of work to do in places like that. Actually I'd move now...I can work anyplace with an internet connection...but Mrs. Rev still goes to work every day.

Reverend Blair

passpatoo
Lead a hippy environmentalist lifestyle on Manitoulin Island, complete with sheep, and a Garden. Sponsor a few more kids in 3rd world countries and study via distance ed. whatever I wanted. Oh yeah, and hone my beer and wine making skills.

passpatoo
Lead a hippy environmentalist lifestyle on Manitoulin Island, complete with sheep, and a Garden. Sponsor a few more kids in 3rd world countries and study via distance ed. whatever I wanted. Oh yeah, and hone my beer and wine making skills.

passpatoo

Twila
I'd volunteer at a couple of animal shelters. If I'd won enough money that I could afford to open my own shelter, then I'd do that.

Twila
I'd volunteer at a couple of animal shelters. If I'd won enough money that I could afford to open my own shelter, then I'd do that.

Twila

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

We're very much the same, missle - it will be 5 years for me in October.
One nice thing is that its quite rare when you find yourself doing something that you simply don't FEEL like doing - oh, it still happens once in a while, but not very much.

One thing I don't get to do enough is get out with the wife, the cat, and our 5th wheel - she still works, dammit!

Ten Packs

One nice thing is that its quite rare when you find yourself doing something that you simply don't FEEL like doing - oh, it still happens once in a while, but not very much.

One thing I don't get to do enough is get out with the wife, the cat, and our 5th wheel - she still works, dammit!

Ten Packs

peapod
Ten packs,
If you missed that post, someone who lived in Port Hardy knew your friend dave mackenzine, he still lives in coal harbour, you should have no problem getting his phone number from information.

I would buy some land on Quadra island, and grow organic vegetables to sell, maybe to those suffies that live over there. I would become a quadralite instead of just a visitor. This would allow me my own chair at the HBI (harriet bay inn) like all the other quadralites, I could fall out of bed every morning and kayak on over to starbucks...ehm there is no starbucks on quadra island..not allowed...just the gumboot cafe that offer up really "big fish" tales.

peapod
Ten packs,
If you missed that post, someone who lived in Port Hardy knew your friend dave mackenzine, he still lives in coal harbour, you should have no problem getting his phone number from information.

I would buy some land on Quadra island, and grow organic vegetables to sell, maybe to those suffies that live over there. I would become a quadralite instead of just a visitor. This would allow me my own chair at the HBI (harriet bay inn) like all the other quadralites, I could fall out of bed every morning and kayak on over to starbucks...ehm there is no starbucks on quadra island..not allowed...just the gumboot cafe that offer up really "big fish" tales.

peapod
Ten packs,

Dexter Sinister

Sounds good to me. I'm taking early retirement myself, in another 65 days. I'm tired of working for The Man, and tired of being responsible for other people's work. If I could do what I do without having to supervise people, or take directions from idiots, I'd keep on doing it. But I can't, so I'm bailing out.

First, I'll spend six months, or twelve, or whatever it takes, recovering my sleep deficit. Then I've got about two years worth of projects to do around the house and yard, which I could probably extend to five years if I don't work too hard. And if I get bored I'll lend my muscles, but not my brains, to Habitat for Humanity. I'd rather be outside swinging a hammer than inside fiddling with computer systems and networks. I've had enough of that.

Or maybe I'll just work on getting my post count here up to 10,000.

Dexter Sinister

Sounds good to me. I'm taking early retirement myself, in another 65 days. I'm tired of working for The Man, and tired of being responsible for other people's work. If I could do what I do without having to supervise people, or take directions from idiots, I'd keep on doing it. But I can't, so I'm bailing out.

First, I'll spend six months, or twelve, or whatever it takes, recovering my sleep deficit. Then I've got about two years worth of projects to do around the house and yard, which I could probably extend to five years if I don't work too hard. And if I get bored I'll lend my muscles, but not my brains, to Habitat for Humanity. I'd rather be outside swinging a hammer than inside fiddling with computer systems and networks. I've had enough of that.

Dexter Sinister

Reverend Blair
65 days? Man, I'll bet you spend a good chunk of every day staring at the calendar.

If you run out of projects let me know, Dexter... have a few things around here that I never seem to get to.

Reverend Blair
65 days? Man, I'll bet you spend a good chunk of every day staring at the calendar.

If you run out of projects let me know, Dexter... have a few things around here that I never seem to get to.

Reverend Blair