US military flag badges

Twila
Does anyone here know why some US soldiers have the American Flag patch/badge sewn on backwards?

Twila
Does anyone here know why some US soldiers have the American Flag patch/badge sewn on backwards?

Twila

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

...because they were looking in the mirror when the sewed it on?

Vanni Fucci

Vanni Fucci

sparky
www.snopes.com/photos/military/patch.asp (external - login to view)

sparky

sparky

Canadian Observer
They do it during war in some units only they why.

Why do canadian soldiers wear mustaches and some are named patricias ?????

Canadian Observer

Canadian Observer

Canadian Observer
Let me re write that for you Twila.

During a war or battle , some units do it , for reasons unknown to you and me.

Why do Canadian soldiers wear mustaches and some are named Patricias ??

Canadian Observer

Canadian Observer

Dexter Sinister
The flag is worn backwards on the right shoulder because that's what it would look like if you were to the right of someone carrying the flag forward. The snopes.com reference in sparky's post explains it fully.

Quote:

They don't all have mustaches, that's a matter of personal preference.

The Patricias are, properly, the PPCLI, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, named for the Duke of Connaught's daughter Patricia, with her permission, in 1914. Check out www.ppcli.com (external - login to view) if you're interested. It is a famous and distinguished regiment, on the scale of the U.S. 82nd and 101st Airborne regiments, winning significant honours in two world wars and Korea, and every major peacekeeping operation since the 1950s, so show some respect.

Dexter Sinister
The flag is worn backwards on the right shoulder because that's what it would look like if you were to the right of someone carrying the flag forward. The snopes.com reference in sparky's post explains it fully.

Quote:

The Patricias are, properly, the PPCLI, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, named for the Duke of Connaught's daughter Patricia, with her permission, in 1914. Check out www.ppcli.com (external - login to view) if you're interested. It is a famous and distinguished regiment, on the scale of the U.S. 82nd and 101st Airborne regiments, winning significant honours in two world wars and Korea, and every major peacekeeping operation since the 1950s, so show some respect.

Dexter Sinister

Quote:

Twila
Thanks Dex. For the slimmed down version. Someone had posed this question during a get together and not one of us knew the answer.

Twila
Thanks Dex. For the slimmed down version. Someone had posed this question during a get together and not one of us knew the answer.

Twila