What do you believe?

peapod
What do you believe that is true, even tho you cannot prove it? There is a great site called www.edge.org/ (external - login to view), where this question is posed. The replies from scientists and science-minded thinkers of this time are fascinating to read.

"We all have hunches, beliefs we can barely explain, or even simply hopes or dreams that some might think of as crazy, or scoff at as irrational, or unproven. But that's just the point of hunches, isn't it? Sometimes we're even right. Diderot called the gift of those who guess the truth before being able to prove it the 'esprit de divination'.
hich is why the latest "grand question" posed by the publisher of the scientific website edge.org, John Brockman, to 120 scientists and thinkers, is so wonderful: "What do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it?"

The answers, which spill to 60,000 words and were published this week, provide a fascinating insight into conjecture - and the power of imagination. Even the empirically driven, it seems, have their own leaps of faith.

Many scientists and researchers believe in the unseen and the unknown - in true love, the power of a child's mind, in the existence of aliens"

I believe that when I die, like in a walt whitman poem I read once, if you want to see me "looks at the soles of your shoes, as in one big recycling, I will return to earth...thats it. And don't even think about setting me on fire :P

I think most of you will find some of the replies to this question at the site worth reading.

www.edge.org/ (external - login to view)

peapod
What do you believe that is true, even tho you cannot prove it? There is a great site called www.edge.org/ (external - login to view), where this question is posed. The replies from scientists and science-minded thinkers of this time are fascinating to read.

"We all have hunches, beliefs we can barely explain, or even simply hopes or dreams that some might think of as crazy, or scoff at as irrational, or unproven. But that's just the point of hunches, isn't it? Sometimes we're even right. Diderot called the gift of those who guess the truth before being able to prove it the 'esprit de divination'.
hich is why the latest "grand question" posed by the publisher of the scientific website edge.org, John Brockman, to 120 scientists and thinkers, is so wonderful: "What do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it?"

The answers, which spill to 60,000 words and were published this week, provide a fascinating insight into conjecture - and the power of imagination. Even the empirically driven, it seems, have their own leaps of faith.

Many scientists and researchers believe in the unseen and the unknown - in true love, the power of a child's mind, in the existence of aliens"

I believe that when I die, like in a walt whitman poem I read once, if you want to see me "looks at the soles of your shoes, as in one big recycling, I will return to earth...thats it. And don't even think about setting me on fire :P

I think most of you will find some of the replies to this question at the site worth reading.

peapod

ice water
I think people believe different things in different situations.

ice water

ice water

fubbleskag
i believe in karma

fubbleskag
i believe in karma

fubbleskag
i believe in karma

Reverend Blair
I believe I'll have a smoke.

I also believe that there are aliens, but I doubt they are coming to earth.

I believe that something happened at Roswell and the US government has been, and still is, lying about it. I don;t believe it had anything to do with aliens.

I believe that there was evidence against Brian Mulroney in the Airbus scandal, but it was covered up.

I believe that the urban myth about the car that ran on water is true. I also believe that there was more to it than the story implies...that it was the scientific equivalent of a parlour trick.

Those are just some of the things I believe in.

Reverend Blair

I believe that something happened at Roswell and the US government has been, and still is, lying about it. I don;t believe it had anything to do with aliens.

I believe that there was evidence against Brian Mulroney in the Airbus scandal, but it was covered up.

I believe that the urban myth about the car that ran on water is true. I also believe that there was more to it than the story implies...that it was the scientific equivalent of a parlour trick.

Reverend Blair

Twila
I believe some people are better at reading body language then others.

I believe those same people are better able to relate the body language of that person to past conversations with that person or about that person and are able to "predict" things about said person.

I believe they call themselves psychic.

Twila

I believe those same people are better able to relate the body language of that person to past conversations with that person or about that person and are able to "predict" things about said person.

Twila

no1important
I believe the governments of the world do hide stuff from us.

I believe we have the technology to stop using fossil fuels and combustible engines.

And yes as some of you may already know I believe "we are not alone".

no1important

I believe we have the technology to stop using fossil fuels and combustible engines.

no1important

zenfisher
I believe I'll have another beer...

I believe the custodians that we put in charge of the western world, are slowly reclaiming the common people as serfs.

I believe that power does not have to be absolute, to corrupt absolutely.

I believe if we stopped listening to the politicians, the accountants,the spin doctors, and the lawyers, we cold make a true democratic society that is fair to everyone.

I believe that religion is just another controlling arm of government.

I believe we are all be forced to work so hard that we are missing a lot of the joy in life.

I believe I'll have another beer....

zenfisher

I believe the custodians that we put in charge of the western world, are slowly reclaiming the common people as serfs.

I believe if we stopped listening to the politicians, the accountants,the spin doctors, and the lawyers, we cold make a true democratic society that is fair to everyone.

I believe we are all be forced to work so hard that we are missing a lot of the joy in life.

zenfisher

Cosmo
I believe that absolutely everything happens for a reason, that each event or decision in life leads us to an alternate reality. I also believe we don't always get to see the reason, even in hindsight.

I also believe my dog perceives energy beyond the ability of the human eye (eg. auras) and that such energy exists. It's why she likes/dislikes some strangers immediately.

And I believe that chocolate is actually good for me. Seriously.

Oh ya ... and I also believe that Peapod is a genius alien put here to challenge the status quo of the planet. Perhaps her race is similar to what we know as Jack Russell Terriers and that is why she is so like my dog!

Cosmo
I believe that absolutely everything happens for a reason, that each event or decision in life leads us to an alternate reality. I also believe we don't always get to see the reason, even in hindsight.

I also believe my dog perceives energy beyond the ability of the human eye (eg. auras) and that such energy exists. It's why she likes/dislikes some strangers immediately.

Oh ya ... and I also believe that Peapod is a genius alien put here to challenge the status quo of the planet. Perhaps her race is similar to what we know as Jack Russell Terriers and that is why she is so like my dog!

Cosmo

Reverend Blair
I believe that I'll listen to something besides this bozo on my radio. Ah...that's better. Margo Timmins singing a Lou Reed tune. Music to match my hangover.

I don't know about the aura thing Cosmo, but dogs certainly see something. So do cats. They judge people better than other people do.

I believe that CBC should give Ian Hanomansing Peter Mansbridge's job.

I believe that Christina Lawand should marry a man named Order and hyphenate her name.

I believe that fried venison kolbasa, four eggs, and re-fried mashed potatoes, all washed down with a beer, is a dandy hangover cure.

I believe that the lack of aid to Africa is rooted in racism.

Reverend Blair
I believe that I'll listen to something besides this bozo on my radio. Ah...that's better. Margo Timmins singing a Lou Reed tune. Music to match my hangover.

I don't know about the aura thing Cosmo, but dogs certainly see something. So do cats. They judge people better than other people do.

I believe that Christina Lawand should marry a man named Order and hyphenate her name.

I believe that fried venison kolbasa, four eggs, and re-fried mashed potatoes, all washed down with a beer, is a dandy hangover cure.

Reverend Blair

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

YEAH! I'd vote for that one! I think it'll happen eventually, just not soon enough.

I believe the universe is consistent and comprehensible, at least in principle. But we've got a long way to go, and may never actually get there. See the third point below.

I believe that matter and its interactions are the fundamental reality, and that what we call "mind" or "spirit" is at root just complex and subtle interactions among various bits of matter. And as a corollary, there are no supernatural beings of any sort, from gods and demons to tooth fairies and Easter bunnies.

I strongly suspect (not strongly enough to say I believe) that the universe, and our scientific knowledge of it, will turn out to be fundamentally fractal in nature. A fractal is an object that has the same degree of complexity no matter what scale you look at it. Google for fractal and Mandelbrot set, you'll find all kinds of fascinating stuff. To clarify what I mean here, I'll try this: quantum theory and general relativity are the two most spectacularly successful pieces of theoretical physics ever devised. They've been exhaustively tested and have never failed to give correct predictions for any experiment or observation anyone's ever been able to think of. Yet they must be incomplete, because at heart they are fundamentally inconsistent. There's at least one more layer of reality we haven't discovered. String theory may or may not be the solution for that, the jury's still out on that one. But what I mean is that even when we find that still-hidden layer and unify relativity and quantum theory, I suspect there'll be another layer under that, and another, and another...

Dexter Sinister

YEAH! I'd vote for that one! I think it'll happen eventually, just not soon enough.

I believe the universe is consistent and comprehensible, at least in principle. But we've got a long way to go, and may never actually get there. See the third point below.

I believe that matter and its interactions are the fundamental reality, and that what we call "mind" or "spirit" is at root just complex and subtle interactions among various bits of matter. And as a corollary, there are no supernatural beings of any sort, from gods and demons to tooth fairies and Easter bunnies.

I strongly suspect (not strongly enough to say I believe) that the universe, and our scientific knowledge of it, will turn out to be fundamentally fractal in nature. A fractal is an object that has the same degree of complexity no matter what scale you look at it. Google for fractal and Mandelbrot set, you'll find all kinds of fascinating stuff. To clarify what I mean here, I'll try this: quantum theory and general relativity are the two most spectacularly successful pieces of theoretical physics ever devised. They've been exhaustively tested and have never failed to give correct predictions for any experiment or observation anyone's ever been able to think of. Yet they must be incomplete, because at heart they are fundamentally inconsistent. There's at least one more layer of reality we haven't discovered. String theory may or may not be the solution for that, the jury's still out on that one. But what I mean is that even when we find that still-hidden layer and unify relativity and quantum theory, I suspect there'll be another layer under that, and another, and another...

Dexter Sinister

no new posts