What do you believe?

Reverend Blair
If there are alternate universes, as string theory seem to suggest, do you think they'll take a form a fundamentally like this one, Dexter?

I don't have enough science to understand the theories properly, but it would seem to me that if such universes do exist and are much the same as ours, that a shift in proximity could explain ghosts and similar phenomenon.

Reverend Blair
If there are alternate universes, as string theory seem to suggest, do you think they'll take a form a fundamentally like this one, Dexter?

I don't have enough science to understand the theories properly, but it would seem to me that if such universes do exist and are much the same as ours, that a shift in proximity could explain ghosts and similar phenomenon.

Reverend Blair

Twila
Quote:

And I believe that chocolate is actually good for me. Seriously

And so you should. Chocolate if made from Cocoa actually has MORE antioxidants then green tea! Plus the endorphines chocolate causes the brain to release are a great natural pain reliever.

Just don't eat the stuff labelled chocolate flavoured candy. Yick!

Twila
Quote:

And so you should. Chocolate if made from Cocoa actually has MORE antioxidants then green tea! Plus the endorphines chocolate causes the brain to release are a great natural pain reliever.

Twila
Quote:

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

I believe that fried venison kolbasa, four eggs, and re-fried mashed potatoes, all washed down with a beer, is a dandy hangover cure.

Rev .... makes me want to start drinking again if only just for the cure! mmmmm ... my idea of an excellent breakfast!

Cosmo

I believe that fried venison kolbasa, four eggs, and re-fried mashed potatoes, all washed down with a beer, is a dandy hangover cure.

Rev .... makes me want to start drinking again if only just for the cure! mmmmm ... my idea of an excellent breakfast!

Cosmo

Vanni Fucci
I believe that since the advent of written language, some 5000 years ago, there have been keepers of esoteric knowledge, that have influenced the rise and fall of empires, from Hamurabi, and his self-aggrandizing code, to fascist regime of Bush...

I believe that factions of these groups, have written and developed most forms of religion, and set them in opposition, in order to weaken the faithful with crusades, holocaust and jihad...

I believe that the way is being prepared for one world government, that will be intolerant of any religion, and I believe that they will achieve this in the end, because they will present to the world absolute, irrefutable proof that there is no higher power...

I believe that this will not be achieved in my lifetime...

Vanni Fucci
I believe that since the advent of written language, some 5000 years ago, there have been keepers of esoteric knowledge, that have influenced the rise and fall of empires, from Hamurabi, and his self-aggrandizing code, to fascist regime of Bush...

I believe that factions of these groups, have written and developed most forms of religion, and set them in opposition, in order to weaken the faithful with crusades, holocaust and jihad...

I believe that the way is being prepared for one world government, that will be intolerant of any religion, and I believe that they will achieve this in the end, because they will present to the world absolute, irrefutable proof that there is no higher power...

Vanni Fucci

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Rev .... makes me want to start drinking again if only just for the cure! Wink mmmmm ... my idea of an excellent breakfast!

So my life-long avocation as a bad influence continues.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Rev .... makes me want to start drinking again if only just for the cure! Wink mmmmm ... my idea of an excellent breakfast!

Reverend Blair
Quote:

kalok
I believe I can fly...
I believe I can touch the sky...

la la la

kalok~

kalok
I believe I can fly...

la la la

kalok~

kalok
I believe I can fly...

la la la

kalok~

Reverend Blair
I believe "American Music" by the Violent Femmes is one of the darkest and most cynical songs of my generation. I also believe that it's right.

Reverend Blair
I believe "American Music" by the Violent Femmes is one of the darkest and most cynical songs of my generation. I also believe that it's right.

Reverend Blair

Cosmo

Just one of the many things we rely on you for, Rev

Cosmo

Cosmo

Dexter Sinister

If there are alternate universes, as string theory seem to suggest, do you think they'll take a form fundamentally like this one, Dexter?

I dunno Rev, there's no reason to think they'd be any particular way at all, as far as we know now. Good question though. The way our universe is, is defined pretty closely by a few so-called fundamental constants that control such things as the strength of nuclear interactions and the strengths of the forces like gravity and electromagnetism. If nuclear forces were a little weaker than they are, for instance, no element heavier than lithium could form, and neither could stars, so life as we know it would be impossible. If they were a little stronger, stars would burn up so fast there'd be no time for life to evolve on planets around them. Similarly, if gravity were a little stronger or weaker, stars would be very different than they are, much smaller and hotter or much bigger and cooler on average. Our universe appears fine-tuned to allow life as we know it to develop.

If there are multiple universes, I'd expect those fundamental constants to vary among them, so some of them could lead to life, some would be perpetually cold and dead, some would be unimaginably explosive, and so on. The possibilities I suspect are infinite, and we just happen to be in a universe that's relatively friendly to our kind of life in a few places, though obviously most of our universe too is pretty hostile to life. Or at least our kind of life. String theory may eventually provide an explanation for why those fundamental constants are what they are, and show that they can't be anything else, or it might demonstrate that there's an infinite range of possibilities for them and we just got lucky in this universe.

But then, if this universe wasn't such as to allow life to develop, there'd be nobody here to think about such things. That "fine tuning" observation is often used in the argument from design to demonstrate the existence of some higher power guiding all this stuff, but all it says to me is that if things were different then things would be different, but they aren't, so I don't see the point of that argument. But it's fun to speculate.

One of the ideas from physics I particularly like is this one: in nature, everything not forbidden is compulsory. Nobody knows if it's actually true or not, but it certainly seems to be from what we can see. I take that to mean that anything that's allowed by the laws of physics not only *can* happen, it *must* happen. There's nothing in the laws of physics as we currently understand them that forbids multiple universes, so...well, draw your own conclusions.

See, reality is way more interesting than anything the mystics ever dreamed up...

Dexter Sinister

If there are alternate universes, as string theory seem to suggest, do you think they'll take a form fundamentally like this one, Dexter?

I dunno Rev, there's no reason to think they'd be any particular way at all, as far as we know now. Good question though. The way our universe is, is defined pretty closely by a few so-called fundamental constants that control such things as the strength of nuclear interactions and the strengths of the forces like gravity and electromagnetism. If nuclear forces were a little weaker than they are, for instance, no element heavier than lithium could form, and neither could stars, so life as we know it would be impossible. If they were a little stronger, stars would burn up so fast there'd be no time for life to evolve on planets around them. Similarly, if gravity were a little stronger or weaker, stars would be very different than they are, much smaller and hotter or much bigger and cooler on average. Our universe appears fine-tuned to allow life as we know it to develop.

If there are multiple universes, I'd expect those fundamental constants to vary among them, so some of them could lead to life, some would be perpetually cold and dead, some would be unimaginably explosive, and so on. The possibilities I suspect are infinite, and we just happen to be in a universe that's relatively friendly to our kind of life in a few places, though obviously most of our universe too is pretty hostile to life. Or at least our kind of life. String theory may eventually provide an explanation for why those fundamental constants are what they are, and show that they can't be anything else, or it might demonstrate that there's an infinite range of possibilities for them and we just got lucky in this universe.

But then, if this universe wasn't such as to allow life to develop, there'd be nobody here to think about such things. That "fine tuning" observation is often used in the argument from design to demonstrate the existence of some higher power guiding all this stuff, but all it says to me is that if things were different then things would be different, but they aren't, so I don't see the point of that argument. But it's fun to speculate.

One of the ideas from physics I particularly like is this one: in nature, everything not forbidden is compulsory. Nobody knows if it's actually true or not, but it certainly seems to be from what we can see. I take that to mean that anything that's allowed by the laws of physics not only *can* happen, it *must* happen. There's nothing in the laws of physics as we currently understand them that forbids multiple universes, so...well, draw your own conclusions.

See, reality is way more interesting than anything the mystics ever dreamed up...

Dexter Sinister

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

Okay.... so why didn't they just start with that and skip all the pain and suffering of the last 5000 years?

Quote:

That's about the only thing in your post I agree with. Except for the part about the Bush regime being fascist.

Dexter Sinister

Okay.... so why didn't they just start with that and skip all the pain and suffering of the last 5000 years?

Quote:

That's about the only thing in your post I agree with. Except for the part about the Bush regime being fascist.

Dexter Sinister

Quote:

no new posts