How fast do you think fast is???

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
OK. In the UK we get loads of American Cop car chase on video real life cheesy programs and I noticed that they seem to think that travelling at speeds of 80 miles per hour on roads that are hugely wide is really bad. In the UK people cruise around on the motorways at 90-100mph (150-160kph) most of the time.

How fast does everyone think is too fast??

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
OK. In the UK we get loads of American Cop car chase on video real life cheesy programs and I noticed that they seem to think that travelling at speeds of 80 miles per hour on roads that are hugely wide is really bad. In the UK people cruise around on the motorways at 90-100mph (150-160kph) most of the time.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Way Too fast is when you need a can opener to get out of the car after a crash.

Too fast is when the driver isn't the only one hurt.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: How fast do you think

It depends a lot on the driver, Emma. From what I gather, you've far more stringent testing requirements over there. People are also more used to the speeds.

Look at this way though...I had a friend when I was young who had a very fast Dodge Charger. The speedometer went up to 140mph.

I was in that car twice when the speedometer maxed out. The first time was with another friend who was a good driver. It was on an empty two-lane highway in the middle of the afternoon. It was fun.

The second time was with the owner. He wasn't such a good driver and it was at dusk on a fairly busy four-lane highway also known for the abundance of deer. I was pretty sure I was going to die that day. We got lucky and he didn't even get a ticket.

How fast is too fast? Depends.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It depends a lot on the driver, Emma. From what I gather, you've far more stringent testing requirements over there. People are also more used to the speeds.

Look at this way though...I had a friend when I was young who had a very fast Dodge Charger. The speedometer went up to 140mph.

I was in that car twice when the speedometer maxed out. The first time was with another friend who was a good driver. It was on an empty two-lane highway in the middle of the afternoon. It was fun.

The second time was with the owner. He wasn't such a good driver and it was at dusk on a fairly busy four-lane highway also known for the abundance of deer. I was pretty sure I was going to die that day. We got lucky and he didn't even get a ticket.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
On the island we have two highway systems now. The new highway is 4 lanes, straight, and there is nothing, nada...to look at. You have to exist to find any civilization. You can drive 110 km per hour on this road, but the speeds are alot higher.

The other highway is the old island highway. This one is two lanes and its mostly along the ocean. I never use the new highway, the old one is so awesome now, no traffic, hardly, unbelievable after all these years. Now if you take this route, you gotta stop at every place along the way :roll: The beach at parksville, and the famous SOS thrift store there, where you can purchase a book for under a buck. Than you gotta stop at the shady rest in qualicum, the food of couse, also a awesome beach. Than you gotta stop in qualicum bay at the smokehouse for fish....than you gotta stop in fanny bay at the FBI, cause everybody does....always run into somebody you know there...than you gotta stop in union bay...cause everybody knows somebody in union bay. This pretty much happens along the entire route. I did not mention all the garage sales, farmers markets, and artists and marinas that you have to stop along the way for also...ehm...this is definately not the speeding route, but its the best one.

But I have been told that perhaps I am a bit heavy on petal....but I have driven these highways all my life..I know every corner and what is coming up...to comfortable...a bad sign.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
On the island we have two highway systems now. The new highway is 4 lanes, straight, and there is nothing, nada...to look at. You have to exist to find any civilization. You can drive 110 km per hour on this road, but the speeds are alot higher.

The other highway is the old island highway. This one is two lanes and its mostly along the ocean. I never use the new highway, the old one is so awesome now, no traffic, hardly, unbelievable after all these years. Now if you take this route, you gotta stop at every place along the way :roll: The beach at parksville, and the famous SOS thrift store there, where you can purchase a book for under a buck. Than you gotta stop at the shady rest in qualicum, the food of couse, also a awesome beach. Than you gotta stop in qualicum bay at the smokehouse for fish....than you gotta stop in fanny bay at the FBI, cause everybody does....always run into somebody you know there...than you gotta stop in union bay...cause everybody knows somebody in union bay. This pretty much happens along the entire route. I did not mention all the garage sales, farmers markets, and artists and marinas that you have to stop along the way for also...ehm...this is definately not the speeding route, but its the best one.

But I have been told that perhaps I am a bit heavy on petal....but I have driven these highways all my life..I know every corner and what is coming up...to comfortable...a bad sign.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
Well the official speed limit is 70mph- but no one really ever sticks to it. You can be banned from driving if you hit 100mph+ so best to stick under that. It is funny when you hear of Dodge Chargers with speedos that go up to 140mph- Our family car has a speedo that goes up to 160mph!! I suppose we do have stringent crash testing over here. I actually had someone fall asleep at the wheel and hit me with us both doing 60mph minimum (I accelerated when I saw him coming to try and avoind a head on!) My car was virtually new and no one was hurt- apart from the car- his car was completly undrivable as it was much older (pre-crash test scores).

I wonder if people are more relaxed in the US and Canada when they are driving and that is why they go slower- everyone is always in a rush to get somewhere here.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
Well the official speed limit is 70mph- but no one really ever sticks to it. You can be banned from driving if you hit 100mph+ so best to stick under that. It is funny when you hear of Dodge Chargers with speedos that go up to 140mph- Our family car has a speedo that goes up to 160mph!! I suppose we do have stringent crash testing over here. I actually had someone fall asleep at the wheel and hit me with us both doing 60mph minimum (I accelerated when I saw him coming to try and avoind a head on!) My car was virtually new and no one was hurt- apart from the car- his car was completly undrivable as it was much older (pre-crash test scores).

I wonder if people are more relaxed in the US and Canada when they are driving and that is why they go slower- everyone is always in a rush to get somewhere here.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The only slow drivers I ever see are those in the really senior category, and they just drive so slow because they cannot see over the dashboard.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The only slow drivers I ever see are those in the really senior category, and they just drive so slow because they cannot see over the dashboard.