• Not Sure!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Barbara Jones

Dec 24, 2004
Alabama
hometown.aol.com
Hi eveyone,

I'm new to this forum and would like to discuss Internet Relationships.

We all know the Internet is a big window of opportunity and we must be careful of these opportunities. Since many people are using the Internet for dating purposes, safety first should be on the forefront of their minds. (Use this medium wisely!)

Internet relationships is a growing population that can't be ignored any more. People are making this way of social behavior a common practice.
I have researched extensively on Internet Relationships and have received hundreds of letters from Internet Couples around the world sharing their experiences. Most of our feedback from our readers showed results of marriage to their Internet Lover while others showed devastation as their results.

Is it safe to say internet meetings between faceless names on-line is taking the place of meeting people at bars, clubs, churches, parties and other social gatherings?

People are looking outside their box (environment) for something different and better than what they're use too! People are seeking companionship where ever they can find it!

And it seems to me the internet is where they're looking.

B.Jones

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! Barbara Jones

In my day, they had Lonely Hearts Clubs.
I remember bars having phones at tables where customers could contact another lonely-heart.
I remember advertisments in the Penthouse Forum magazine or the National Enquirer.

Look at how many lonely-hearts went bankrupt because of those 976 numbers in the 90's.

One thing for certain .... yuh can't get AID's from the net or from a typing-pal!

Wanted: A wife ( Must know how to type quickly)
Otherwise .... boring.

I don't use chat often. It feels too much like an elevator to me.

And the person who invents and manufactures "Web-Wigs" would make a killing. I hate the thought of having to comb my hair when sitting at my puter. Maybe a tiny mirror on the keyboard too.

Calm

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Hey Barbara Jones,

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Internet relationships, eh?

Well, I've been with my partner nearly 3 years. We met online. At first I thought she was too young for me (I've got about 6 years on her) but enjoyed the developing friendship. Eventually it became apparent we were a match and the rest, as they say, is history. We moved in together within 3 months and have been incredibly happy ever since.

But I've had my share of internet insanity! I learned the hard way that people are quite often not who / what they say they are. When I meet people in "real life", I have the opportunity to watch body language, to hear the nuances of speech and to hear ideas and feelings in their unedited form. These things allow me to use my instincts about people.

When I meet people online, all I have are the words on the screen. While the tone and the sense of humour do show through, I find that I have no idea of the true depth of the person (hey, we can all research and copy paste), or the integrity of the person. I always remember that I am relying on that person's perception of who they are and how they are seen in the world. It's amazing how distorted our self-perceptions often are!

The thing for me, at least, is that it usually does not matter one iota who is on the other end of the keyboard! Here in the forum and other places online where I have met people, I can enjoy the exchanges, the wit, the mental connection with people. But I take it for what it is ... unverified. Since I do not have my "gut" instinct to rely on, I approach people online with an unerring sense of skepticism. It takes some time and some personal contact before I trust people I meet online. Not fair, perhaps, but there are some pretty weird units out there! I know from experience. :)

Like Calm mentioned, the internet seems to be spawning a whole new mating ritual. It's odd to get to know someone intimately on a mental level and be total strangers physically. Meeting someone physically first then getting to know them mentally is an entirely different thing with entirely different rules. I think people tend to get hurt when they try to apply the "tradition" mating game rules to internet romances.

I think the internet is wonderful. Like Camille Paglia says:
"The Internet makes it possible to live anywhere in the country now; you don't have to live in a city ... I'm hoping that in the long run, the Internet will actually be a way to recover our contact with nature, because it allows people to live away from urban centers."

I think it also adds another dimension to relationships and opens a world of possibilities as long as people are careful. There are some bastards out there.

That's my two cents worth! :)

I'd be most interested in hearing more about your study!

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Edge and I met in a chatroom and have been married five years now. I agree with Cosmo it is important to approach with caution.

I think there is a certain advantage in exchanging ideas, wants, needs and ambitions before you meet someone. The physical being removed from the equation allows you to concentrate on what is really important.

Barbara Jones

Dec 24, 2004
Alabama
hometown.aol.com
Thanxs for your replies. What you had to say helps me a great deal. My research on Internet Relationships is one of a few research projects being conducted to date. There are so many view points on this issue, I'm sure alot of people will benefit.

Thanxs!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: Internet Relationships...Does It Work?

moghrabi said:
Just a fun joke. I never meant it as such.

Ok ... just thought maybe you'd give us some advice ... start a "Dear Moghrabi" column here at the forum :wink:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

moghrabi said:
lol. I can do that if you wish. I have great advice to offer but only to adults perferably females.
Well, I'm adult, I'm female ... although if your advice is about hetro relationships, it probably wouldn't be all that helpful to me. :D Been there, done that, found a better way. :wink:

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

moghrabi said:
I can give advice on both lifestyles. I am a fan of the homesexual society.
Even with that right tilt you have to your philosophy??? I'm impressed.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Moghrabi, I've read many of your posts and you sound very right wing in your opinions. Even your avatar hints at it! :) Being somewhat left of centre myself, I always find opposing views interesting, providing they are the not vile, hate-mongering rhetoric of the fanatics. But I'm surprised that you accept same-sex unions. Do you support legal marriage of same-sex couples?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
First let me explain my political standing. I am not a right wing even though my avatar say "keep Right" you have to look at the arrow. To the contrary, if you read my posts carefully, I have ben called a leftist so many times.

Second. Why not supoort same sex unions or legal marriage. What business do I have in the bedrooms of others. If we let people live the way they want to live, there will be more peace on Earth.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

moghrabi said:
First let me explain my political standing. I am not a right wing even though my avatar say "keep Right" you have to look at the arrow. To the contrary, if you read my posts carefully, I have ben called a leftist so many times.

Second. Why not supoort same sex unions or legal marriage. What business do I have in the bedrooms of others. If we let people live the way they want to live, there will be more peace on Earth.

Well, Moghrabi, I may have misunderstood you. Nice to know. :)

So, "Dear Moghrabi", do internet relationships work?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
It depends. Mine worked for about 3 years and was a lot of fun. I am trying it again but I don't seem to be as lucky as I am in person. I have to try harder maybe.

Another factor that keeps me on my toes is the other side. You can't really trust who is on the other side. After awhile, you have've got to meet them and see for yourself. They could be anything they want you to beleive.

What is you opinion?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

moghrabi said:
Another factor that keeps me on my toes is the other side. You can't really trust who is on the other side. After awhile, you have've got to meet them and see for yourself. They could be anything they want you to beleive.

So true!!! I had a simple friendship (no romance, thankfully) with a woman I met online. She had sent me a photo and we frequented the same chat room for months. Eventually she admitted to me she was actually a man who wanted to be a woman. For months she kept the pretense. It was a good lesson for me.

"You never know who is on the other side" -- exactly. I met my chick online, but it wasn't until I saw her face to face that I really invested myself. I was one of the lucky ones ... she was as honest as I. But nearly everyone I know has a horror story or two about it!

Gotta admit, tho, that online relationships are a whole lot of fun. Rushing home every day from work to check email, being delighted to hear from the person or to find them online ... it's a wonderful dance. But I see it as pure fantasty until it's face to face.

You asked. I'm wordy. :)

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I love wordy people. So don't worry.

I had same problem with a person who turned to be 15. I flipped when I saw her. She had the guts to see me and tell me on the spot. As much as I wanted to see her, I wanted to kick her, do something if you know what I mean.

So keep wordying your words towards me so I can word more words to you.