My Best Christmas Ever

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
well folks, it's that time of year, the fireplace is lit, i have a nice little smash to drink, and well, it's time for reminiscing about christmases past. now gather round and i will tell you a little story about some friends of mine................(this is where the harp enters the story and we all can take a deep breath and totally relax)

the year was 1971 and pea and i were in good spirits. we had just completed our shift at the sawmill, i ran the donkey out back and she was a master grit hole sawer. we were tired after our 12 hour shift and heading out to 'alberni town for a couple of beers and brawn. christmas eve awaited us as we planned our modus vivendi.....phew, finally out of the seaplane and onto dry land. whoa, what awaits us here......a gaggle of elves outside the pub on a starlit christmas eve, beckoning us to enter. what? with us looking like this, not even having the opportunity to 'freshen up'! well, you gotta do what ya gotta do, so enter we did.

bright lights met us, the sparkle was overwhelming, but someone we managed to find a table with friendly types. an aside here - well, of course i wanted to stay but pea wanted to go back to the digs and 'freshen up', i did stay but pea took off for half an hour or so. during that time santa made an appearance, the elves all did the back fling on top of the bar - like the coyote girls or whatever, but in their green outfits, they were ever so becoming. finally pea re-appeared, dressed to the nines and started to put the elves to shame. and it was shameful. omg........first pea does the bar top dancing, chugging the beer with the locals, then the lap dancing with santa. it was sinful. everything was moving along at lightening speed until out of no where appeared joe and mary. (they owned the establishment). all of us tried to tone it down, but you know pea, the ol' 'on with the show' routine, and she just kept going. sorta like the energizer bunny. only bigger. not so pink either. she has smaller feet too. well, we realized we had got the gang going there, and they were looking for more action, so we ever so politely tried to move the party to the stable next door, but na ha, nothing doing, we partied inside until at least four in the morning. next day we got up and worked our second job at the drive in, the people were flocked to see 'hair' and we were running the concession. the party happened during 'hair' when pea decided to remove her clothing and partee on the big screen. it was quite the 24 hours. i don't remember anything after the popcorn and the outdoor projector.

pea, if you are reading this, perhaps you could fill in the blanks.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
grgrgrgrgrgr they you go again yabbering away, only because you are across town. You are drinking down there I know it. You know that we were both with gonda blow in 1971, you know ^ ^ ^ (up there). You forgot to mention the wrestling matches and our skrimish with the saquash. Unfortuneately around closing time, you were never very fussy about who you were leaving with. The saquash was tho :p

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
well, besides the fact that the sasquash happened to be my brother, i don't really know what you are talking about. if my memory serves me right (!) gonda blow was belly dancing in bella bella that winter. member she was part of the troupe with the gumboots?

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Oy Canadians are weird (I'm repeating myself), but they sure know how to celebrate Christmas! So, tell us something more 'bout peapod in the 70's galianomama: how was she? Did she look like Cher? Was she a hippy? She's pretty wild eh? Or, that's the impression I get :p Do you still visit the pub? Is peapod a phenomenon back there? :p

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
oh ricky, ricky, ricky.......

where could i possibly start that would explain pea to you. well now, she cut quite a swath in her day during the '70's. yeah, she was 'the girl' all right. she go go danced in nanaimo for a summer, then hit the bush to work for a lumber camp out near port alberni during the fall and winter. then, in the spring, she would board the ol' steamer that made its way down the coast of vancouver island, stopping in every port she could, calling up on old friends and making plenty of new ones. she ran that steamer - some say right into the groud - but the best sight i can member of pea was that ol' corn cob pipe, and the biceps! oh my! i was a regular brutus compared to her, haa haa. oh sheez, i'm started to cloud up just thinking of her, just membering her ol' pappy and mommy too!!

but now, she has been 'townied'. yup, you will only find her in the middle of the town, eye of the storm us locals call it, yup, there she be, shopping, having lattes, and everything else you can imagine what a wild woman would do once she hits port. or town.

but ricky, a more sincere person and a loving heart you will never meet. loyal to the bone she is. a true princess warrior. :wink:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
ehm...is this my jacobs ladder or something :p am I dying and this is my eulogy 8O I dunno weird stuff is going on, gonda blow and now you are delivering my eulogy.

Ricky I have never been a hippie, fine people that they are :wink: I go from one era to the other doing the same thing, fishing, hanging out with my friends, working, eating, reading and I throw in the occassional marriage :p
I have and had hippie friends, most are well to do yuppies now. They no longer live on deserted islands and live off the land. I was never wild...just some rebellion like all young people have :wink: And most of partying was done in the bush, by a nice lake with creedence clear water and a hoot, and I don't mean the owls either :wink: But than I do not see anything wrong with having a hoot, everything in moderation will get you to the next era. 8)

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
and if I'm correctly, someone has turned 40 this year, eh?

ricky - we love you with all our hearts. of course turning '40' was a terrible burden on the pea, but she is a survivor and once again rose like a phoenix from the ashes. something like that.

I was 7 in 1971...I think I got a toboggan that year.

yeah, that was the year i turned 9 and got a puppy :wink:

HockeyBabe

Electoral Member
Oct 13, 2004
Seattle
am I invited? I like Starbucks...Especially that mocha frappaccino! YUM!! heum...there's a Starbucks right across the street from my house...I'm going!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: My Best Christmas Eve

I'm going to convey something very importat to you here, Moghrabi. It is something I learned in a very painful way...and it took me more than one try too.

Don't chase the girlfriends' of hockey players, bikers, or the University of Regina Rugby team. Also...if you are about to get trounced by 3 or 4 large men, curling into the fetal position is likely a better idea than trying to be a hero. I'm not sure of that because I tried the hero option, but that's what the doctor at emergency told me as he taped me back together.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: My Best Christmas Eve

Reverend Blair said:
I'm going to convey something very importat to you here, Moghrabi. It is something I learned in a very painful way...and it took me more than one try too.

Don't chase the girlfriends' of hockey players, bikers, or the University of Regina Rugby team. Also...if you are about to get trounced by 3 or 4 large men, curling into the fetal position is likely a better idea than trying to be a hero. I'm not sure of that because I tried the hero option, but that's what the doctor at emergency told me as he taped me back together.

Ouch. Thanks Rev for the advice. You always come in at the right time.

Ouch again. I am in pain just thinking about what you said and having the doctor put back together.

Ouch. just for the hell of it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Have you tried all three, girlfriends of hockey players as well as of bikers as well as of the University of Regina Rugby team Rev?

I've tried chasing all three. It was only worthwhile once and once the only one that noticed was a man in a rugby shirt who promptly called his mates.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "tried", Ricky. Even the one that was worthwhile only got me a hickey and a wet finger...the cracked ribs came later.

Ouch. Thanks Rev for the advice. You always come in at the right time.

Still, there is something to be said for hickeys and wet fingers.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I bet there is. Someone gave me a hickey a long time ago. After gotten beaten up for it time and again from ex- and current girlfriends, I recently discovered it was a birthmark.

HockeyBabe

Electoral Member
Oct 13, 2004
Seattle
lol where did this come from?... do you guys think my boyfriend is a hockey player? well of course he plays hockey...but he's not like a true hockey player, eh...he's more of a computer genius lol yeah ok so later :oops: