Do you ever say things in other languages?

Pemmican
Quote: Originally Posted by Rick van Opbergen

Hey, first I have to warn you, this might sound weird. I noticed while walking the dog that I talk a lot of German to him - and the surprise is: I'm not German, I do have family in Austria but they are married into our family. It's not that I have complete conversations in German, but I say thinks like: "Kommen Sie mit" when my dog is sniffing everywhere; I call him "Hallo meine kleine Schlomo" (but Schlomo is not really German, I call him Schlomo because that looks at lot like the Dutch word of "sloom", which means "slow"). In the house, I often say "tschüss" or "Danke", such things. Most of the time I don't even notice it. Sounds weird eh.

So my question: are there others here who do the same thing, who - unnoticed - sometimes say things in other languages, to their pet or familymembers or just to themselves?

You speak German a lot? I didn't know, Dutch also gets "Germanized"?!

The only weird thing, I could notice, Rick, is - that you say "Sie" to your dog instead of du. *looool*

German btw is severely English-affected, we take over heaps and loads of English words all the time, it's incredible.
Funnily, these English words are inflected the German way though, e.g. the infinitive of the verb "to mail" is "mailen" in German, its past tense form is "mailte" (instead of mailed) and the past participle is "gemailt" (instead of mailed).

Rick van Opbergen
Well I wouldn't say Dutch is getting Germanized, it's probably just me Hey, Pemmican did you know by the way that of all German neighbors, the Dutch are least negative about their "Nachbarn"? Aren't you lucky with us eh? And yes, I say "Sie" to my dog. He's a true gentleman hehehe. About the example "mailen", same thing goes for the Dutch language. "To mail" is "mailen" here too; "mailed" is "mailde" and "mailed" (past participle) is "gemaild" in Dutch. Almost the same as in German!

Pemmican
Quote: Originally Posted by Rick van Opbergen

Well I wouldn't say Dutch is getting Germanized, it's probably just me Hey, Pemmican did you know by the way that of all German neighbors, the Dutch are least negative about their "Nachbarn"? Aren't you lucky with us eh? And yes, I say "Sie" to my dog. He's a true gentleman hehehe. About the example "mailen", same thing goes for the Dutch language. "To mail" is "mailen" here too; "mailed" is "mailde" and "mailed" (past participle) is "gemaild" in Dutch. Almost the same as in German!

Did you also know that most Germans aren't actually negative about Dutch?
As I could see, the only problem seems to be football and as I don't care about football, everything's fine for me.
I am lucky with the Dutch - I really like them, and I love the country, too!

I'm sorry to have heard, Prince Bernhard died on Wednesday

About our languages: I think, Dutch is so hard to learn because it is so close to German
Is "mailen" common actually? I was told you'd usually prefer "sturen" also for e-mails.

Rick van Opbergen
Quote: Originally Posted by Pemmican

Quote: Originally Posted by Rick van Opbergen Well I wouldn't say Dutch is getting Germanized, it's probably just me Hey, Pemmican did you know by the way that of all German neighbors, the Dutch are least negative about their "Nachbarn"? Aren't you lucky with us eh? And yes, I say "Sie" to my dog. He's a true gentleman hehehe. About the example "mailen", same thing goes for the Dutch language. "To mail" is "mailen" here too; "mailed" is "mailde" and "mailed" (past participle) is "gemaild" in Dutch. Almost the same as in German!Did you also know that most Germans aren't actually negative about Dutch?
As I could see, the only problem seems to be football and as I don't care about football, everything's fine for me.
I am lucky with the Dutch - I really like them, and I love the country, too!
I'm sorry to have heard, Prince Bernhard died on Wednesday
About our languages: I think, Dutch is so hard to learn because it is so close to German
Is "mailen" common actually? I was told you'd usually prefer "sturen" also for e-mails.

Quote has been trimmed
Well I've heard Germans are actually disappointed when they meet Dutch for real - and I can understand that. I like Germans: you are all very nice (I said this before didn't I?), I have the feeling there's always a nice atmosphere in Germany. And you are lucky to have such a beautiful country. I mean, your nature is great!

About Prince Bernhard: thanks, I posted an article about his death but there have been no reactions - but then again, this is a Canadian forum. A lot of people say here btw that his time had come. I think that's true. He had cancer, and he also said that he didn't want to live anymore - not becausing he hated life, but I get the impression he just didn't want to fight it anymore. But aren't you a bit sad too? I mean, he was after all a German (Bernhard zur Lippe-Bisterfeld).

Rick van Opbergen
Oh, and about "mailen" and "sturen": I would say it's a bit 50/50, although young people prefer "mailen" I think.

moghrabi
Hey Ladies and gentelme.

Have you ever tried to speak Arabic (my mother language) and been worried about being arrested?

If not, then all other languages you speak are easy.

Rick van Opbergen
Before or after 9/11? Do you often speak Arabic?

moghrabi
After 9/11.

I speak it with family members. I also write poetry in it. I don't wanna lose it. It might comehandy oneday and the CIA hire me to spy on Arabic speaking people. Heheheh

Rick van Opbergen
Well, the first question was kinda rhetorical Although I can't really "imagine" what it is to be looked at (in a negative way) when I speak a certain language, I can "imagine" (do you still follow it?) what you mean.

I would love to learn Arabic one day, but I've heard it's pretty tough, and very diverse.

moghrabi
Very difficult language and have diverse dialects. People in Syria have a different dialect than in Lebanon and so on.

It is OK here in Vancouver. But if I go deep into the interior of BC, People seem to be red necks and judge people by even how they look. Sad.

sj007
agreed

EternalSunshine
I love German, and even though I can't speak it there are some expressions I use in German only (and end up confusing people or having to explain or saying "nothing, I was just talking to myself"). Some examples (and the spelling might not be correct - I don't have time to google it right now):

pechgehabt (my absolutely favorite)

selbstverstandlich

verlangerung schnur (I use it regularly and have hard time remembering the english equivalent, so now my husband learned it as well)

canuckleheadlover
Growing up in Florida I had a Chilean step mother and best friend's family is Columbian...so i catch myself saying alot of spanish...Of course my husband just looks at me like i'm crazy and i have to stop and realize i said it...like:

Como Que' (What do you mean?) if my husband says something i don't understand like "i'm going out for a few beers" well see FEW is the word in question so i say "como que a few beers?" and he looks at me blankly.

i can't even think of it right now...but i surprise myself with these things. i finally realize i said something, when i get that look.[/b]

Rick van Opbergen
Wish I could speak Spanish. It's a world language, so it could be of some use somewhere in the future ... Although, same can be said of Chinese (Mandarin) thinking 'bout it ...

sj007
well u can already speak english i understand most spoken spanish cuz its alot like french

Rick van Opbergen
Well that does not mean I can speak Spanish, eh?

sj007
well some words in spanish are from english but i say its more like french

Rick van Opbergen
I wish it could be more like English, that's a language I understand! (and speak )

sj007
lol but english is germanic and french is latin 2 bad

Rick van Opbergen
I know ...

sj007
but english a bit of latin the word have comes from latin haber

Rick van Opbergen
Well there are more examples ... can't think of them at the moment though, but it's late here (23:30), so that's a good reason eh?

sj007
eh its a good reason anytime

Rick van Opbergen
Ehm OK

sj007
my constant excuse if i cant spell something is cuz my brain is a mix of both languages

Rick van Opbergen
Same thing here haha ...

sj007
its works well on everyone but my language teachers

Rick van Opbergen
But you're fluent in French right?

sj007
bien sure jy suis a sec 4 dans une ecole prive de francais m'excuse j'ai pas d'acents

Machjo
hey, back to the original question of this post.
Sometimes I'll remember conversations I've had, and even remember most everything we discussed, yet I won't remember what language we discussed it in. Sometimes I can figure it out through deductive reasoning (i.e., we only have one language in common). But other times, if we have more than one language in common, and are known to switch quite freely, or if I didn't know the person that well and so can't remember what langauge they spoke, then even though I remember everything about the conversation, I don't know what language we were discussing it in.