dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Examples.

Haggis says: "I can't stand the Bush"
Andem says: "Me neither".

Haggis says: "They could have voted either Bush or Kerry"
Andem says: "Some voted neither"

Neither is used in negation; Either is more neutral.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
"I don't like him neither" doesn't make sense because it's double-negation. I already negated the sentence with "don't".

"I don't like him either" makes sense.

Omega

Nov 12, 2004
B.C.
Have you learned any of the Romance languages, Rick?

I did...or at least I tried...to learn Italian when I was in my 50s. My male friend is Italian and we were taking our second trip to Italy in the near future. I signed up with Berlitz for 12 intensive lessons in Conversational Italian and realized I was not a natural at this. I only speak English, so had never even heard about masculine and feminine words, how the words have different endings depending on whether they're masculine or feminine, how our "s" is not used for plurals--it was very difficult for me. I was speaking decent, if slow, Italian by the end of it though and thought I'd do pretty good at keeping up my end in conversations there. Not! They speak so quickly and often in dialect that I was as ignorant about what they were saying as I was the first trip, when I sat there like a dummy while everyone around me laughed and talked in dialect and I felt completely left out.

Oh well, I tried...

English must be as difficult for those who don't speak a Germanic language as their mother tongue as a Romance language was for me. You yourself have a very good grip on the English language.

JDream

Council Member
Apr 10, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
www.cu2.nl
Hmmmm.. I grew up with Italian & Spanish cause I have some family living in Italy and Spain :)
Rick, Tis idd intressant dat je da vraagt, maar okeej, als je de voorbeelden snapt dan.. kan je het wel

I don't like chocolate.
I don't like it either.

loooll I think..

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Omega said:
Have you learned any of the Romance languages, Rick?
Well, I got French at school - every pupil gets French at school here - and it's relatively hard yes. As you point out with Italian - the fact that that language has masculine and female words -, the same accounts for Dutch - we don't have masculine and female words either, like the case is with English, so those languages are tricky for us too. I think that is also one of the reasons why I'm not really fond of Romance languages - not because they aren't beautiful languages, but it is relatively difficult to learn (not the vocabulary though).

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
omega said,
My male friend is Italian and we were taking our second trip to Italy in the near future. You go girl :p
My male friend is a lumberjack :p and we are taking a kayak trip next weekend. And he either pulls his weight or neither of us will be happy :p He is phoenix, I am pegasus, and neither of us wear leopard capris's. :p We feel the quiet energy of the living world, no seperate from the energy living through us
8)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Heh, heh. When my father was in University he had to take a language. Since he'd been speaking Ukranian all of his life he thought he'd take that. He damn near failed the course. He had to go get his grandmother, who had been educated in the Ukraine, to tutor him.

Seems Ukranian is a very difficult language. There are, for example, sixteen different ways of saying "you" depending on age, sex, social stature, and the relationship between the speaker and the one being spoken too/about.

It's not exactly the same language he learned as a boy on the farm.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
this one is for for you rev :p

The Beer Drinkers Anthem
DOUGH... the stuff, that buys me beer
RAY..... the guy that sells me beer
ME...... the one, who drinks the beer
FAR..... a long way to the beer
SO...... I'll have another beer
LA...... La la la la la beer
TEA...... no thanks, I'm drinking beer
That will leave me with no DOUGH.....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
There are a lot of (descendants of) Ukranians in Canada right?

Yes there are. A lot of people came here from that part of the world (not just Ukraine) in the early 1900s. The area where my father grew up is almost totally Ukranian people...he never learned English until he went to school. There are similar areas with German, Polish and Hungarian people as well.

I have a framed version of The Beer Prayer on the wall beside my desk, Peapod. It's a beautiful thing.

Pemmican

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2004
Westphalia
Oh, I can see there are many Dutch people here... well, at least 2 - Hoe gaat het met jullie? ;)

Greetz from your neighbour country Germany
-Pemmican

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Hey, you speak Dutch :) , somehow that makes me proud haha. Well, I guess the total number of Dutch people here is two, yeah, me, and JDream; she's from Nijmegen (near the border with Germany), I'm from Eindhoven (you might know it, not so near the border with Germany, but not as far from the border as Amsterdam 8) ).

Pemmican

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2004
Westphalia
Re: RE: (N)Either

Rick van Opbergen said:
Hey, you speak Dutch :) , somehow that makes me proud haha. Well, I guess the total number of Dutch people here is two, yeah, me, and JDream; she's from Nijmegen (near the border with Germany), I'm from Eindhoven (you might know it, not so near the border with Germany, but not as far from the border as Amsterdam 8) ).

Hey, nice meeting you ;)
Yes, I know both Nijmegen and Eindhoven (haven't been there yet though); Ik was in Groningen dit jaar voor koninginnedag, it was amazing!! 8)
Mijn Nederlands is slechter dan mijn Engels dus laat maar beter Engels praten *lol*