Friendly Giant vs Mr. Rogers

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
which was your fave and why???

me - FG all the way!! Just sooo Canuck. Boring, same dust filled living room every day. Did you ever notice the little 'barbs' that Rusty and Jerome had going between each other? They got kinda pointed sometimes. (I only noticed this when my kids were watching - only took about 30 years to kick in). :roll:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Hey good idea...but I am not gonna tell you my old favorites you gotta guess..my papa got me hooked on this show...what is the name? here are the clues...

Sam Troy, aka "Sarge"
Charismatic leader, could charm a camel at 50 paces. Small in stature but carries a big gun.
Fave food: steak & potatoes.

Jack Moffitt, aka "Don't call me Sarge"
PhD, archaeologist, son of an archaeologist (no whip). Suave, sophisticated, multilingual, and gets to wear the black beret.
Fave food: steak-and-kidney pie.

Mark "Hitch" Hitchcock, aka "the kid"
Innocent boy-next-door, yet with a fondness for explosive devices.
Fave food: burger and fries.

Tully Pettigrew, aka "guy with the southern accent"
Silent type. Really silent. But watch out for those hidden depths.
Fave food: Grandma's home cooking, and maybe a 6-pack.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
I only had 2 channels growing up. I doubt it would've mattered, though, cause everyone knows the best kids' show of all time is Mr. Dressup.

Friendly Giant - I always wanted to sit in the chair that "two could curl up in."

Anyone else think Jerome Giraffe is gay?

(not that there's anything wrong with that...............)

;)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I didn't watch either (I'm not sure Mr. Rogers was even around back then, although I thought he was truly wonderful when I watched him with my daughter in her early years). My very most favourite show as a kid was Popeye. As a teenager, the Monkees.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Is my show gonna be completely ignored? its easy come on :cry:
Ok how about this one...this is just a few of the name this guy called the robot on the show..

Aluminum Canary
Animated Weather Station
Arrogant Automation
Astigmatic Automaton
Automated Oaf
Babbling Birdbrain
Babbling Bumpkin
Bellicose Bumpkin
Blithering Blatherskite
Blithering Booby
Bloated Blimp
Blundering Bag of Bolts
Booby
Despotic Dunce
Digitised Dunce
Dippity Dunce
Disreputable Dunce
Doctor Dunderhead
Dottering Dolt
Dottering Dunderhead
Lamebrained Lump
Lead-lined Lump
Lily-Livered Lead-Lined Lummox
Ludricous Lump
Lugubrious Lagert Presumptuous Popinjay
Pretentious Popinjay
Primitive Pile of Pistons
Proverbial Neanderthal Ninny
Pusillanimous Pinhead
Pusillanimous

Those are just a few of the names for the poor robot :lol:

sparky

Nominee Member
Aug 31, 2004
mystery island
peapod "lost in space" angus was going to call and see where you are? I said lets go line and find her :lol: and here you are. Samurai has his lap top here. Your coffee is waiting.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
What the hell..now I am being tracked by laptop.....I would prefer gobal postioning if you are going to track me....ya ya I am coming now...quit spying on me you lattie hounds.. 8)

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
my papa got me hooked on this show...what is the name? here are the clues...

god, pea where do you find this stuff? i don't have a clue. sparky might!!!

hey sparky - have another one for me!! don't spank the monkey too hard now!

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
As a teenager, the Monkees.

haggis - there must be a tv station around that would have the old reruns of the monkees. i would love to watch them. all i can remember from that show were the clothes - they ruled! didn't they tilt the screen when they had stuff to do......or was that just batman???

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
galianomama said:
As a teenager, the Monkees.

haggis - there must be a tv station around that would have the old reruns of the monkees. i would love to watch them. all i can remember from that show were the clothes - they ruled! didn't they tilt the screen when they had stuff to do......or was that just batman???

I think you might be right, I just don't recall now. I sure would love to watch them all again. I know you can buy the series, but it is kind of expensive for a quick nostalgic journey. Another teen favourite - do you remember Dark Shadow?? We used to rush home from school to watch it. Barnaby Jones, the vampire, oooooOOOOoooooo, scary stuff. In winter, we had to leave our friend's house, where we watched it, and walk home IN THE DARK, and it was so much fun, so scary.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
do you remember Dark Shadow??

OMG!!! I hadn't thought about that show for ages. That one was sooo scary - right! Yeah, that was way before the 'goth' phase hit too - or maybe it was the cutting edge and what started dressing goth. who knows.

Mary Tyler Moore Show. Her whiny voice. how can i forget it!! Along with Mr. Grant. I think if I watched it now, I wouldn't even find it funny.

I dunno, I just don't watch TV anymore. I wonder if that is not unusally with our age group - seems to me either we watched way too much 'garbage' tv growing up and therefore aren't interested anymore in that medium, or we just zone out with it. - which isn't a bad thing to do, but i always think i am wasting time. grrr. relaxing is a serious hobby. haven't mastered it yet.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I think you're right about the Mary Tyler Moore show. I bought a video of three episodes once (it was dirt cheap) thinking I'd enjoy it, but no, it simply was not funny anymore.

I loved All in the Family, I think I'd enjoy seeing those shows again.

We dont watch television shows now, we cancelled cablevision about 9 years ago because we hadn't been watching any television for so many years (but here we were, paying for it!). Cancelling not only saved us money but spared us having to see some of the godawful stuff that is on television now. We've never seen a reality tv show, or Friends, etc.. We saw Sex and the City (I like that show) when it came out on video, same with Ally McBeal and South Park. Funny, though, we have never missed having cablevision.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
yup, i know what you mean! we went for years without tv when we were starving students. why we ever hooked up again is beyond me. the kids occasionally watch - oh get this - last night my son is just bummed out about being in grade 12 and having to go to school, he has the blahs. i agree with him - he is taking grade 12 english and the first assignment - to design and colour a cover for your english books! he was furious! i asked him if he told the teacher and he said yes. what a waste of time! anyhow, i am trying to tell you something - oh yeah - so he is watching tv and says that all the kids at school now wanna be opening up these 'chopper' shops because of the shows they have on the discovery network. acckkkk! as we both said, good luck. no concept in reality at all. so yeah, kids would be sooo much better off without the dummy box. now that i think about it, i think we watch more movies and stuff then the tv.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Friendly Giant vs Mr.

Wow, I used to get in trouble for drawing pictures on my books.

If your boy is looking for a real assignment, galianomama, I can give him one. Tell him to lock himself in a dark room with a carton of smokes and a case of beer and write a story...fiction or not...about anything he likes. 1,000-1,000,000 words, whatever his choice.

Make him use an old fashioned type-writer though...these new magic ones make you listen to Bob Dylan too loud...;-)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Clackety-clackety-clackety... *ping* clackety-clackety-clackety... *ping* clackety-clackety-clackety... *ping*

Your very funny idea reminded me of a great bit of software I once had. It made your computer keyboard sound just like a typewriter. Buggy as hell, but a very fun thing. Drove everybody else nuts, of course, but hey.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
If your boy is looking for a real assignment, galianomama, I can give him one. Tell him to lock himself in a dark room with a carton of smokes and a case of beer and write a story...fiction or not...about anything he likes. 1,000-1,000,000 words, whatever his choice.

great idea rev - i'll pass it on!!! i know - max was really upset....he said it was like being in grade 4 all over again. the other part of this conversation was that before they got their first grade 12 'english assignment' (if you could call it that!) they had been in an assembly and told how this year was so important, blah, choices in life, blah.....need i say more.

what is wrong here? no wonder the kid wants to quit. he would rather be working on an apprenticeship that doing this nonsense. can't say i blame him.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Clackety-clackety-clackety... *ping* clackety-clackety-clackety... *ping* clackety-clackety-clackety... *ping*

yeah, ma won't use the computer. hauls out her old 1958 typewriter. she is great - still loves to keep involved, writing, editing, etc. whatever she can get her hands on - in her 80's no less. i hope i stay that active. anyways, the kids suggested she use the computer. nope - i don't trust em! (standard answer).

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
galianomama said:
yeah, ma won't use the computer. hauls out her old 1958 typewriter. she is great - still loves to keep involved, writing, editing, etc. whatever she can get her hands on - in her 80's no less. i hope i stay that active. anyways, the kids suggested she use the computer. nope - i don't trust em! (standard answer).

She knows the secret to staying young by keeping involved, that's great!

As for the typewriter, we found an old Royal at a flea market, bought it for five bucks, man is it ever fun to clack away at it for awhile. Very soothing, I love that sound. How the heck did we ever have the strength in our fingers to hit those keys hard enough, my god, I didn't realize I had become so used to the feather-light touch needed with the computer keyboard until I tried typing on a typewriter again.

The damn things never crash, I'll give them that much. Hard to send email with 'em, though.