Trivia

undergradNITZ
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Drop three lit matches into a glass bottle that has a narrow neck (an old-style 600 mL milk bottle works well). Quickly put a peeled, hard-boiled egg on the mouth of the bottle. What happens? Why?

well the heat and smoke off the matches gets rid off all the oxygen thus making the preasure of the bottle greater on the inside making a suction,the egg is now being pulled by the preasure and volia! the egg goes inside...

ive known that since i was little....

lets get back to the trivia...

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, dogs only have about 10

bogie
The magician's words "hocus-pocus" have been around since the 17th century. A conjurer called Hocus Pocus used the chant during his performances. It's a play on a Latin phrase used during Roman Catholic mass when wafer and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ, hoc est enim corpus meum ("for this is my body").

undergradNITZ
In Iceland, Domino's Pizza has a reindeer sausage pie on its menu

bogie
Quote: Originally Posted by undergradNITZ

In Iceland, Domino's Pizza has a reindeer sausage pie on its menu

Dang ... and we don't have it!

Oh well ....

There have been 47 Charlie Chan movies, with six actors playing the part. None were Chinese. Side note: The most famous Charlie Chan was played by Warner Oland, and he was Swedish!

undergradNITZ
The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue

bogie
The world's most expensive coffee is called Kopi Luwak. It is made from coffee beans passed through the digestive system of a palm civet, a tree-dwelling, cat-like animal found throughout Southeast Asia.

So .... when does Starbucks add that to their list!

undergradNITZ
Soldier Field in Chicago is the oldest stadium still in use in the NFL

bogie
In Alabama, it's illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

undergradNITZ
Frogs never drink. They absorb water from their surroundings by osmosis

bogie
The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches by the time they graduate from high school.

undergradNITZ
A chip of silicon a quarter-inch square has the capacity of the original 1949 ENIAC computer, which occupied a full city block

bogie
Ninety percent of women who walk into a department store immediately turn to the right. No one knows why.

Aviallani
Quote: Originally Posted by bogie

Ninety percent of women who walk into a department store immediately turn to the right. No one knows why.

I'd wager that it's because most stores set up to have people enter the store on the right and exit on the left. It makes more sense to turn right after that rather than try to cross the stream of people leaving the store on the left. JMO

bogie
Quote: Originally Posted by Aviallani

I'd wager that it's because most stores set up to have people enter the store on the right and exit on the left. It makes more sense to turn right after that rather than try to cross the stream of people leaving the store on the left. JMO

But men will

The final words of H.G. Wells were, "Go away. I'm all right."

... and with those words I head off to bed, listen to an old "Dragnet" or "Sherlock Holmes" radio program (my wife reads, I listen to old programs) - 11:40 pm here, and I'm up and at 'em by 6am latest.

Aviallani

Quote: Originally Posted by Aviallani

But men will

Men don't know any better! :P

undergradNITZ

not to be sexist or anything...i just thought it would be funny to show proof...

bogie
King Mongut of Siam had 9,000 wives. Before dying of syphilis, he was quoted as saying he only loved the first 700.

undergradNITZ
There is a word in the English language with only one vowel, which occurs five times: Indivisibility

bogie
According to a study by Niagara Spray Starch, 46 percent of men and 34 percent of women do their ironing while naked.

undergradNITZ
The well-known actor Steven Seagal is a 7th degree black belt in Aikido

bogie
Alec Guinness' name was incorrectly spelled as "Guiness" in the opening credits of the award-winning film The Bridge on the River Kwai.

undergradNITZ
February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon

bogie
At age 14, actor Tom Cruise enrolled in seminary school to become a priest. He dropped out at age 15.

undergradNITZ
Women blink almost twice as much as men...

peapod
What does it say about us that we can have six pages of this stuff...such depth is overwhelming

Coca-Cola was originally green

Reverend Blair
The brown acid that you weren't supposed to eat at Woodstock contained strychnine.

Not sure if that's trivia or an urban myth, actually.

bogie
In 1221, Genghis Khan killed 1,748,000 people at Nishapur in one hour.

undergradNITZ
Butterflies taste with their feet

bogie
Eighty percent of men say they would marry the same woman if they had it to do all over again. Fifty percent of women say they would marry the same man.

.... uh ... I think we have a problem here!

undergradNITZ
Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself. Tums anyone?