What book are you reading now?

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I am reading LONGTITUDE and ATTITUDE by Thomas Friedman of the New York Times. Excellent book for those who want to understand American policy.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I'm reading nothing that exciting or in depth. Actually, I'm reading two, or maybe is it three, books.

Orxy and Crake by Margaret Atwood, Quentins by Maeve Binchy and some god awful horror mystery that I keep picking up for some reason, but it's just not getting better.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Moghrabi, is your avatar a picture of you? It is supposed to be posted in the albums thread!

Thanks for the heads-up on this book, I'll see if I can find it.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Haggis McBagpipe said:
Moghrabi, is your avatar a picture of you? It is supposed to be posted in the albums thread!

Thanks for the heads-up on this book, I'll see if I can find it.

What is albums thread? And do you like my pic?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I AM going to bed, but you &*^&#*@^$#@ people won't stop posting long enough for me to make my escape! And yes, serious lectures will be in order tomorrow. Hey. In the world of nagging, I am on a roll.

Moghrabi, yes, I like that picture, is it you? The albums thread is Forum Albums, it is RIGHT THERE, and it wants a picture of you.

Good night! Again!

Lisa

Electoral Member
May 22, 2004
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Hi! I am reading The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston. Nice book, so far. Not so long for a change.

Ow and AV and others, I was suppose to start a book review threat, but I am currently very busy with my vacation job, so sorry. When I can find the time I will make a review.

The first will be about Orlando by Virginia Woolf.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Enjoy your summer job, Lisa. Relax, we're all pretty mellow here. Besides, if you put up a review, then I am obliged to report one. Right now, as I'm not currently reading anything, I'd have to fake one. Don't sweat it. When you get back to school, why you'll have plenty of time to lounge around, reading books for pleasure, eating sandwiches, go to bar and shoot some pool.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Im reading "The Mighty Endeavor-- THe American War in Europe", by Charles Macdonald

GREAT book.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
I am into Full Spectrum Disorder: The Military in the New American Century.

Stan Goff is a former Special Ops soldier - some fascinating little stories and insight.

I have just finished reading a few Oil Depletion, 9/11 books and at times these can get... well...

I need something to take me away for a few moments.

I have partly read Uther by Jack Whyte but I keep comparing it (and I shouldn't) to Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy +1 and it just doesn't grab my interest. No medieval novels compare to these. My all-time favourite read.

BUT, last night we watched The Bourne Identity. I thought it would be best to see this before the new Bourne Supremecy in theatres now.

I need a temporary break in topic so I may go back and re-read these. My favourite Ludlum novels.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Is it only me- everytime I read a Ludlum novel, it seems they all blend together in some way..

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
yes. Very good. This one is all his New York Times articles. sixteen of them prior to 9/11 then after 9/11 till I think july 2003 and follows by his own addition of articles since he is limited to so many words per article. So he extends his thoughts in the last section.

Excellent book.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
I'll check it out.

For the most part, I like him-- though at times, I think he oversimplifies history.

THATS the part that scares me. History has factual, political, emotional, social and in many cases (e.g., mid east) aspects, that cant be reduced to purely logical cause and effect assumptions.

Thats half the problem in the region-- way too much oversimplification.

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
My other favourite storyteller is Jeffrey Archer. His novels that follow the life of a generation or two of a family (Kane & Abel, Prodigal Daughter, As the Crow Flies) are spellbinding and heartwrenching.

'gives one perspective on one's own life...

BTW, Bourne - great movie