POLICE

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Why are we always so afraid of police/police cars?

Case in point - driving last night, my BEST FRIEND forgot to put on her seat belt. Passed a police car parked - waiting in ambush for said party - I start sweating it - "GET YOUR BELT ON", said friend says "keep cool, I'll just sit her and pretend it is on" as she sits bolt upright beside me. What gives? We are both old enough to be this guys mother!!!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Why do you feel guilty soon as you see a cop? The trick about the seatbelt is not to make any quick and sudden moves. He catches this behind his shades, and he ain't to friendly cause he is waiting for you to pass so he can get to the imergency at tim hortons.

You do not move, look straight ahead, blend in with the car furniture. He never gives a second glance.. don't walk like an Egyptian...act like an artic hare.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
good advice pea, i'll keep it in mind next time we are out cruising.

like an arctic hare indeed, you weren't too happy to see those coppers either!

BTW, where did they get the term 'coppers/cops'?

I can remember going out to a rather formal christmas party a few years back, and being placed at a table with a nice ordinary couple. I was into my vodka martinis back then, and after having quofted a few asked the gentleman what he did for a living. he replied he was a policeman. well, let the games begin! i was horrendous, hilarious, and hooped. why would i do that? if he had told me he was a city planner, i would have remained quite sane, boring and polite.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
So funny you mention that about cops. I always put on this stupid-looking 'I am an innocent and nice person' look on my face, and drive the speed limit (except, of course, for Arizona, but who knew) and have even put both hands on the blinkin' steering wheel. I embarrass myself, really. It must look moronic to the cops, they must laugh their butts off when people do this. Oh boy, unless of course I am the only one who does it.

One night when I was young, single and foolish, I was driving over the Lion's Gate bridge after a rowdy evening at the Ritz (any Vancouverites recall the Ritz?). I was quite inebriated. Hey, it was the early 70s, everybody was quite inebriated, behind the steering wheel or not. Anyway, I almost hit a motorcyclist who was, it turned out, trying to pull me over.

Ahh, the power of young women. That handsome young cop only asked for my name and telephone number, no driver's license, and he ever-so-politely made no mention at all of my rather obvious tipsyness.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I always put on this stupid-looking 'I am an innocent and nice person' look on my face, and drive the speed limit

See, that's just it. Is it just with women, or do men do this too?

I don't think they do. My husband constantly gets pulled over by the cops for speeding, and never once has he come home with a ticket. They all end up looking at his vehicle and chatting away in the breeze. Makes me fume.

I actually had a cop jump in front of my vehicle because I was speeding (silly man). I laughed, and damned if I didn't get a ticket.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
I think you've raised a good point, I think men do it too, but they, as you say, do it differently.

I have only ever had one speeding ticket. It was a tough call, the cop was far too young for me to charm him with a smile, so I opted for the 'would you actually give a kindly mother-figure a speeding ticket???' look, and surprisingly, it almost worked.

He clearly felt badly about the whole thing and wanted not to give me the ticket, but somehow it failed at the end and a ticket in hand I had. Possibly the 'mother figure' failed since I had been speeding in my less-than-motherly looking little red sports car. I'm sure that was my downfall that day.

Funny thing was, when I first saw him flagging me down, I thought he was waving at me and I waved back. Fortunately, I realized in time that no, he was not really waving in that 'hi there' sort of way. :)

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Ah yes, I remember one such incident with police when I used my motherly stance. We had gone out for a beer. Just one, as a night capper. It was Xmas time, husband driving. Got stopped in a road block. This young weekend constable comes over to us, fresh faced, maybe 19. Have you been drinking sir he asked. My husband said yes. He looked deflated. You could tell he was thinking, my god, now what do I do. So he fumbled around, got out his pocket book. You know the one they pack that is ‘what to do when someone says they have been drinking book’. Turns to the index, looks up the page. Clears his throat and says – please count backwards from 10. We stared at him blankly. Husband counted as instructed. Okay. Refer back to book. Please blow into balloon. (My husband was just getting over pneumonia and did not have the lung capacity to blow out a match let alone blow into this balloon). We looked at each other. Kinda giggled. Husband blew into it and nothing happened. It was very limp. After about the third attempt I decided control was needed in this situation. In my best mother voice I stated I think we have done enough of this tonight, we are going home now. Bye bye. And he let us go. :wink:

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I haven't had much run in with the cops at all, but I do know that if I'm cruising along and see one of those blasted cars hiding in a side road, my heart starts beating a mile a minute. Whether I'm speeding or not. I hate when they drive behind me, I'm convinced that they're just trying to find some reason to pull me over. Dirty tail light or something.

They just instill fear in me! FEAR I tell you!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Diamond Sun said:
I haven't had much run in with the cops at all, but I do know that if I'm cruising along and see one of those blasted cars hiding in a side road, my heart starts beating a mile a minute. Whether I'm speeding or not. I hate when they drive behind me, I'm convinced that they're just trying to find some reason to pull me over. Dirty tail light or something.

They just instill fear in me! FEAR I tell you!

:cool: Someone is either tipsy or in a giddy mood just because.

I know what you mean, though, about the cops. Funny, even in stores when I see those security cameras? I start acting innocent... even though I AM innocent, having never shoplifted in my life. I just feel as though I have to act really obviously innocent before those cameras. That is truly moronic, if I do say so myself.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Two glasses of wine might have some meaning, I am impressed that you picked up on it at all.

I shoplifted once. Stole a pack of gum from IGA when i was 6. Gave a piece to my little brother who promptly told on me. My mom took me back to the store and told me we would stay until I told them what I had done. We stayed for an hour the first time, and I didn't say anything. We went back for several days before I finally figured out my mom wasn't kidding and we were going to go back every day until I confessed.

I don't remember what happened when I did confess, but I never stole anything again. I do still, however, hold a grudge against my brother.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Diamond Sun said:
We went back for several days before I finally figured out my mom wasn't kidding and we were going to go back every day until I confessed.

I don't remember what happened when I did confess, but I never stole anything again. I do still, however, hold a grudge against my brother.

That is a very funny story!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Diamond sun you are a very sweet person, not all jaded and scared like the rest of us. But than again you are from british columbia, know for its population of mostly nice people.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
peapod said:
Diamond sun you are a very sweet person, not all jaded and scared like the rest of us. But than again you are from british columbia, know for its population of mostly nice people.

Thank you I think. But jaded and scared of what?

And really, I'm not from BC, I just currently reside here. My heart and soul still live in Alberta, where I'll always feel is home.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well diamond the scared part comes from all the fumes around, from all those people smoking bc bud. It weaves itself down the mountains and into innocent peoples backyards. You are sitting there one minute enjoying yourself and the next you are scared of everything including yourself..

The jaded part well that depends on what you have seen and what you know. To much of either, one way or the other,you say oh brother! And quite frankly some of the posting here can add to your jadeness, not sageness, just jadeness...but I love it here :lol: