Is there a doctor in the house?

Haggis McBagpipe
If you could trade jobs and be anything you want to be... and all the training was provided to you with a paycheque equal to that which you make now, what would you choose to be and why?

researchok
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

If you could trade jobs and be anything you want to be... and all the training was provided to you with a paycheque equal to that which you make now, what would you choose to be and why?

mattress tester or bowling pin machine repairman.

How many of either do YOU know?

researchok
Haggis how are you?

Everything ok in your world?

Hows mom?

Diamond Sun
I would probably be one of two things.

1) A high school math teacher, but only for the students that really wanted to learn. I don't think I could handle the other kind of kids.

2) A waitress in a local pancake restaurant.

And you miss Haggis?

American Voice
I have lately sometimes thought, if I could go back and do it over, I would like to be a civil engineer. Aircraft propulsion engineering? Maybe genetic biology? Something very specifically technical.

Diamond Sun
When I was younger I wanted to be an aerospace engineer. I wanted to be the first female Canadian in space (which might explain why Roberta Bondar is such an amazing woman to me). I wanted to work for Nasa and do amazing things. Then i discovered that I actually hate Physics and can't even ride in a roller coaster without rushing for the nearest bathroom afterwards (think Space Mountain). I gave up that dream and got funnelled into something I don't particularly care for.

Haggis McBagpipe
I'm about to be a dishwasher, but have time to say I'd be a doctor, no question about it. Just a GP, though, practicing in some small remote town where the doctor is god. I would suit being god of the whole village. THEN I could get my shrine.

Seriously, it is what I wish I had done, I would love such a thing, just the only doctor in town, a little bitty town. There is an incredibly good French Canadian movie out that is about just such a village. It's called... oh RATS, now I can't think of the name of the movie. Something about Luring Dr. So-And-So. Pretty helpful, huh?

Anyway, the movie is a sheer delight, I watched it two nights in a row, it was that good. Good enough that any normal person might also remember the title, but hey.

So, it is Dr. McBagpipe now. I just need a little bitty village. It must be full of weirdos, must be by the sea, the house provided to the doctor must be charming and quaint and have a dock. Hmm, the village must be picturesque and totally isolated from the rest of the world... and no, it absolutely cannot be Thompson, Manitoba.

peapod
There is such a place haggis Mcbaggis. It is called telegraph Cove. Best job uh? still no cajun in the oatmeal, ok I will play. I would claw my way or do whatever it took (to a point) to become the head explorer for national geographic. Seeker of new lands and people. Besides that maybe something in the security area, I would like to beat the crap out of a 90 year old lady! Bring it on!

galianomama
Always wanted to be an architect. Loved playing with wood 'bits' and making villages and towns with rooms, upper floors, 3 dimensional stuff.

peapod
Hey wait a minute, talk about living your dreams out in somebody else....

galianomama
I know, isn't that weird? I never formulated the thought of what I wanted to be when I grew up until I realized how much play time when I was younger had consumed me with building. Does that make sense?

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

There is such a place haggis Mcbaggis. It is called telegraph Cove.

Ahhhh, Telegraph Cove. I have many memories of these places, for when I was growing up we went boating for a good part of the spring and summer. Savary Island, Telegraph Cove, Secret Cove, Snug Cove, Keat's Island, Gower, Paisley Island, Cowan Point, Barfleur Passage, Hutt Island, Tunstaff Bay, Silva Bay, Valdey Island, Thetis island, Sidney Spit, Montague Harbour, Smuggle's Cover, Orcas Island, Fossil Bay, Thormanby, Welcome Pass, Sergeant Bay, Elkins Point, Anvil Island, Long Bay... oh yikes, it really takes me back, all those old names popping into my brain!

This is why I crave to live somewhere like that once again. We toyed with the notion of retiring on Savary, decided against it. I think I could probably go back to the Sunshine Coast, though.

peapod
We could use a good haggis in our neighbourhood! Do you like jeeps? Hey you been all over the place. Were you one of those hippies that became a hippy-crite? I ask because of some of the island you named.
I was up in telegraph cove not to long ago. 5 hours of whale watching, never saw any whales but everything else. Almost made it to the mouth of rivers inlet. You never mentioned Quadra Island the best of em all! yes I can see you driving home just before dawn with your silk scarf fluttering behind you in your Ford Coupe 37 Packard Convertible. He was jelly not mint jelly thats my jelly, in your hands. Who could resist. No I am not smoking anything funny. Just feel pain goofy today

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

We could use a good haggis in our neighbourhood! Do you like jeeps? Hey you been all over the place. Were you one of those hippies that became a hippy-crite? I ask because of some of the island you named.
I was up in telegraph cove not to long ago. 5 hours of whale watching, never saw any whales but everything else. Almost made it to the mouth of rivers inlet. You never mentioned Quadra Island the best of em all! yes I can see you driving home just before dawn with your silk scarf fluttering behind you in your Ford Coupe 37 Packard Convertible. He was jelly not mint jelly thats my jelly, in your hands. Who could resist. No I am not smoking anything funny. Just feel pain goofy today :lol:

No hippie-crite I, we practice what we preach!

My days on the boat happened long ago, pre-summer-of-love, when I was just a kid, in the 50s, 60s. That is a very long time ago indeed.

- Quadra Island, yes, and sundry others not mentioned. My husband and I did live in Gibsons for four years, good years, our daughter was young and it was a great place for a little kid.

- Do I like jeeps, sure, as long as they aren't gas-sucking jeeps. I like pretty much anything that isn't a super-sized gas-sucking SUV or truck.

- I am happy to be the local doctor. Licenses are incidental items, who needs one, really? I could perform an appendectomy, no problem... where the heck is that thing? What's this? Oops, it's beating, I'd better put it back. Hmm, what else is kicking around in here....

peapod
Ok haggis I know your real name now its Ripley. I will stand in the background and watch your handiwork, I will be the one shouting, Get away from her, you bitch!!!

galianomama
Quote:

Valdey Island,

hey hag - where is that island? never heard of that one!

how about hornby? doesn't anyone like hornby island anymore????
denman, there's a nice island, great houses and gardens too.

montegue harbour and the little beach just before that is so white you feel you are in greece with the blue blue of the water. lovely.
sigh.

we are so blessed to live in such a great country!!

Diamond Sun
I think I'm missing out. I don't know any of those places. I've heard of Quadra Island (in fact, Xendric was born in Campbell River), but I'm a prairie girl. I know places like Sylvan Lake, Hasse Lake, Fort Saskatchewan. Sad isn't it. Nothing pretty sounding like the one's Haggis listed.

I'd love to live in Greece though. I'd go back there anyday. Well, to the islands at least.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Diamond Sun

I think I'm missing out. I don't know any of those places. I've heard of Quadra Island (in fact, Xendric was born in Campbell River), but I'm a prairie girl. I know places like Sylvan Lake, Hasse Lake, Fort Saskatchewan. Sad isn't it. Nothing pretty sounding like the one's Haggis listed.

I'd love to live in Greece though. I'd go back there anyday. Well, to the islands at least.

Hey, are you kidding? One of the prettiest spots I know is Manitou Lake in Saskatchewan, just south of Saskatoon. It is a salt lake, very cool. Actually, the prairies are drop-dead gorgous, in my opinion. Driving along those long straight roads, beautiful golden wheat waving in the breeze, it is so lovely, I could not get enough of it.

Yes, Hornby, Denman, Montegue harbour, all lovely. My favourite of all was Sidney Spit when I was a kid, I think because i can picture it so perfectly clearly. That, and Long Bay (Camp Artiban). I liked it because there was a beautiful old house there, just across from the camp. The house was empty of people but not possessions. My parents tried to buy the place, it had lots of land along with the house, but the place was tied up in probate for years and years. We did go inside, though, and my, it was as lovely a home as you could fnd anywhere. The legal problems meant that it sat empty for too long, though, and I think by the time it was freed it was a disaster and was torn down. Not sure about that, though.