Road Trips

galianomama
Anyone wish to share some memorable road trips?

Mine have always pretty main stream, when we were young and Dad was driving, it was a quick trip to hell. You drove as fast as possible, as long as possible every day until you got to your destination and then you quickly turned around and repeated same.

Had some great road trips to the interior of BC in the last few years, but would love to hear yours!

peapod
There are so many! One I had recently, involved you galaniomama. In a quest for a short cut to our destination, since we were already in the horse and buggy namely one of those jeeps why not go over a mountain! There was a road, one of those zig zag roads up the side of a mountain, you felt like one of those cats stuck to the back window on a car. It took a long time, we saw nothing except a woodsman out chopping wood. But that was not so strange after all we are lumberjacks! Finally we get to the top of the mountain and head down the other side, now it feels like a rollercoaster without tracks. Finally we can hear the town noises. Eureka! the road has ended at a big padlocked gate. We ponder how we can get around it, there is no way out except back up the mountain and down the moutain again....the woodsman is still chopping wood he waves us on. Now we are very crabby! Finally the horse and buggy hits pay dirt. Pavement actually.

The trip continues, on these trips we seek the off beat path, oddballness our quest. A sign appears Koi farm, tours 3 dollars. Hey what happens at a koi farm we ask, lets check it out...To late the koi man has taken our money we now descent into the valley of the koi. His farm was on a hillside. The sign should have said Silence of the koi. Yikes! is this halloween weekend. The place was a house of horrors! ponds everywhere, just dug in the ground. Green primial ooze was everywhere, when the koi man, thats another story, his name was kipper, you figure it out. When he threw the pellets at the tarponds a fury of fish, than snakes Yikes and more Yikes, they slithered into the ooze trying to eat the fish. Will we make it out alive I wonder. Now the kipper is trying to get friendly with us, maybe he is after our skin! Bet he has a deep pit somewhere in his house. We finally make it out of the koi karnival and head home. Everytime I pass by the koi farm tours 3 dollars I put my foot to the metal. Yes the old road trip to hell and back!

galianomama
i had permanently erased that one from my mind. how about his wife. called 'wife'. she tried to sell me some dead cactus. (honest to god - this is a true story).

she was brought out of the house led by kipper. groan. she stared blankley at the cactus and then at me. maybe we looked the same. maybe we look the same now. something to ponder. then she slippered her way back into the house. shut door. bye bye.

peapod
What are you talking about? That was not his wife. It was poltergeist .

Haggis McBagpipe
My daughter and I have taken 2 1/2 road trips together, two to the States when she was a teenager, and one across western Canada when she was older. We've taken many trips all three of us, of course, but the mother/daughter ones were crazy. Good memories, all.

Somewhere in Saskatchewan, we wandered down an off-the-beaten-track road (there are no off-roads in Saskatchewan, you just end up in a wheat field if you go off-road). We were looking for a bird sanctuary that was supposed to be in the area. The bird sanctuary was never found.

We stopped in the middle of nowhere at a little old farmhouse. We stepped out of the car, walked up the driveway, and knocked on the front door... then became abruptly aware that giant mosquitoes were upon us, millions (think Carl Sagan) and millions of mosquitoes.

Now, to a Saskabushian, this would not be worth thinking about, and it is highly unlikely that the hapless farmer inside ever suspected the cause of the ensuing show. The fact remains, though, that we are innocent BC-ites, unaccustomed to such things, and our troubled senses could not cope with these massive flying animals, creatures so big they could have been mistaken for dogs, had they barked.

They didn't bark, though. We did. The farmer never did answer that door, and I think I know why. To his wondering eyes he must have seen two women approach in a normal fashion then suddenly go beserk, with flailing arms and indescribable squeaks.

He would then have seen these two women spasm (and trust me, there is no other word for it) their way back to the car, half-running, half-walking, kind of running twisted, as one might run to dodge machine gun fire, squeaking and laughing uncontrollably.

He would then have seen these same two women in the car, leaping about in the seats, seemingly attacking the car itself with great gusto, determined to, apparently, force it into some sort of mechanical obedience. He would have seen maps and other items flinging through the air, all the while noises emanating that probably gave him nightmares for weeks.

Perhaps that farmer has friends in BC. Perhaps one day those friends will say, 'Hey! Farmer Bob, why doncha c'mon out here for a visit!' But you know? I just don't think he's going to get around to it.

peapod
Your Mosquito Chronicles were a hoot haggis... more please!

researchok
Road trips?

Hmmm..As a kid we drove from Montreal to Banff, Alberta.

My dad thought we needed to see the country. It was downhill after the Sudbury nickel.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan were a flat blur. The wonder of wheat wore off quickly, as did the cows and combines.

Of course, boredom didnt match up to the excitement. Whenever we stopped my dad would take my brother to the mens rooms, pull down his shorts and tell him, "go!" My brother would say, "I don't have to". Dad would wait and then finally give up.

Just as he was accelerating onto highway, my brother would tap him on the shoulder and say/"MERGENCY"-- that was te code word he used because my mom and sister could not know he had to go.

There was one time I thought my mild mannered dad would kill him. I never knew my father to use foul language-- and he did, in both English and French (nothing like a well timed Taaabaaarnaac!)

And so our trip would go.

We finally made it to Banff and dad signed us all up for a trail ride. Then the aforementioned brother decided to wander off on his own.

Panic city.

An hour later, an RCMP officer brings him back-- and the little bastard had an ice cream cone! The rest of us were stuck with sandwiches my mom made-- hot egg salad, hot bologna, etc and 200 lbs of fruit- oranges, banannas, apples, etc.

Needless to say, we missed out on the trail ride-- though the RCMP officer gave the little jerk a toy badge.

HE remebers the trip fondly.

Of course.

Diamond Sun
oh my goodness. I love road trips!!

Where on earth shall I start?

Oh, first off haggis, you are so lucky to have a relationship like that with your daughter. It's definitely to cherish.

Okay, back to road trips (although, they won't be near as exciting as Haggis et als.)

My husband and I drove to Montreal from Edmonton in 1997. Brand new car, brand new relationship and we decided that taking a month off from work and driving would be wonderful.

We got all set up with AMA and the maps and camp books and set out without a single reservation or any plans on where we would stop each day.

We drove east into Saskatchewan and then south into North Dakota. Stopped in Fargo. Yeah, from the movie. They don't really talk like that.

I remember camping somewhere in Wyoming in what was probably the worst camping experience of my life. Sometime around 1:00 am this lovely couple started arguing in their trailer. Something about him cheating on her and her not trusting him and on and on. Finally after about an hour of shouting the man drove off in a rage. Finally peace we think. Think again, about an hour later he returns. Of course she is waiting for him. They start arguing again. She accuses him of going to see some hussy, he insists he was at the local bar and that he has receipts to prove it. Around 3:30, my husband and I had had enough. We packed up and left Wyoming.

I loved that road trip though. We saw some great things, and trust me, when in Detroit, do not detour off the main roads, even if there is a man in a yellow vest with a detour sign directing you elsewhere. Do not follow the detour. Stay on the main road, because if you don't, you will find yourself at a gas station with locks on the pumps, garbage in the streets, and people who don't really want you there. Always stick to the main roads.

Unless of course the main road is taking the tunnel from Detroit into Canada, and that tunnel is closed. Then you must find another way. Detroit is scary actually, maybe just avoid it at all cost.

Haggis McBagpipe
I am loving these stories! I have been ordered by Pea to watch Scissorhands then make a report, so I'd best do as I am told. My husband is off getting the thing now.

Anyway, while I am watching the movie, everybody can post more stories like crazy.

Okay, a short one before I go:

Traveling through Arizona, my daugher and I were hurtling along the highway at the speed of light or relatively close to it. What the hell, the roads were straight and we were Thelma and Louise.

A jerk came up behind us, then kept right on our butts, he kept trying to pass us. We weren't having any of that, and sped up, for he had been tailgating and behaving rather poorly, in our estimation.

That jerk just kept trying, though. He sure did seem anxious to pass us. Finally, I relented at about 100 mph, and let him go around.

As he passed, he gave us a starkly disbelieving look then sped on. We felt sure this look was one of awe at the skill and derring-do of Canadian women. It was an interesting car, we noted as he passed. My daughter and I exclaimed to each other about certain of its odd features, in particular a metal barricade between the front and back seat. Suddenly it all became too clear to us. We knew what that barricade was for. To this day we do not know why he did not pull us over.

Another quickie: One winter's eve, my daughter and I took a notion to leave at about 9 pm from the Okanagan and drive to Calgary for breakfast.

It was one of those notions that reasonable people dismiss immediately, but in our case, the idea grew on us and there was nothing for it but to act on it.

On a lonely dark road along the way, we noticed someone driving behind us. There was something sinister about that car, something that made us feel a little on edge. So much on edge, in fact, that my driving became a bit erratic, I'd slow down to let the guy pass, but he would slow down as well. I'd speed up again, then slow down, even swerve a bit to let the menacing presence know that we were not people to take lightly.

We pretty well knew he was a mass-murderer. There seemed little doubt. He stayed right with us, and there we were, just two cars on that lonely stretch of road, one with two women in it and the other with a mass-murderer in it. Really, it was anybody's guess as to who was crazier.

In that dark night there suddenly shone a light. A beacon of hope? The neon welcome of a tawdry roadside motel? Well, not quite, but our mass-murderer scenario did require a certain adjustment as we explained ourselves to the puzzled officer.

Diamond Sun
Husband (I should really give him a name. How about Xendrick)

Xendrick and I were camping at Mount Robson (here in BC) and decided to take a little drive on the old highway. Well, we made the turn off the new highway and were toodling down the old highway, enjoying the vistas, the vegetation, the wildlife, suddenly we realize that we're heading up into the mountains, the road has become quite bumpy and there are all these signs about watching for logging trucks. Somehow we'd ventured onto a logging forestry road (obviously a wrong turn somewhere).

We decided that we'd just keep going until we were at half the gas we had when we left, and see what we could see.

We drove for about 45 minutes out into the middle of nowhere, and much to our suprise a piece of natural wildlife saunters across the road. A nice big brown cow with a tag in his ear gave us a semi-interested look and continued his sunday walk into the bush. Here we are a hundred miles from the nearest electrical pole and some farmers cow is there to greet us. It was bizarre.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Diamond Sun

A nice big brown cow with a tag in his ear gave us a semi-interested look and continued his sunday walk into the bush. Here we are a hundred miles from the nearest electrical pole and some farmers cow is there to greet us. It was bizarre.

Hilarious! I wonder where the farm was, that's so odd finding a cow out in the middle of nowhere like that.

Xendrick, wow, that's quite an alias!

American Voice
Normally full of anecdotes, I am just going to sit here and listen, and take notes.

Have you ever seen a car hit by a train at a railway crossing?

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by American Voice

Normally full of anecdotes, I am just going to sit here and listen, and take notes. :)

Have you ever seen a car hit by a train at a railway crossing?

Good grief, no! Have you?

Diamond Sun
That's not something I would ever want to see. Never. I don't even like seeing it in movies.

Quote:

Xendrick, wow, that's quite an alias!

I like it. One of those names that sticks with you. He wonders why I didn't just use his real name, but I like it this way.

Okay...anymore road trip stories in my bag...

I remember driving to Oregon with my family when I was 15. I remember driving across Washington and being fascinated by the red rock and starkness of it. I was also terrified when we went to Mount St. Helens. It was so eerie. And the smell, it was like a lack of smell. Very strange.

For a real fun road trip, try driving in Greece (or probably anywhere in Europe like that), they're all insane, don't use lanes (or signal lights) and have roads wide enough for 1 1/2 cars, but somehow manage to fit two. White knuckle experience.

Haggis McBagpipe
Yes, France is like that as well. They are insane, but my, they sure are wonderful people. I loved France best of all. We stayed at a rickety little hotel called the Hotel de la Marne, in Saverne. It overlooked the locks of the canal, so we were able to watch the ships come up the canal through the locks. Oh, it was gorgeous, and started our still-unfulfilled desire to travel through France on the canals by barge.

peapod
Haggis is there any place you have not been? Have you been to yak? it located near Cranbrook. My sister lived in Gibsons when her childern were young, it was a awesome place. Have you drove the whole stretch and taken the ferry over to Comox? Were you ever a extra on the beachcombers?

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Haggis is there any place you have not been? Have you been to yak? it located near Cranbrook. My sister lived in Gibsons when her childern were young, it was a awesome place. Have you drove the whole stretch and taken the ferry over to Comox? Were you ever a extra on the beachcombers?

No to Yak, although it seems to ring a bell so maybe but can't recall.

Gibsons has managed to retain all its lovely charm, even now. We loved our five years living there. Unlike city planners anywhere else, Gibsons planners have managed to make the town retain all that quirky seaside flavour even with growth.

Gibsons has long been a love of mine. When I was a kid, it was one of our stops on the boat, to do laundry and stock up on supplies. Then, years later, my husband and I moved there, it was as lovely as I'd always imagined it would be.

Yes, to driving the whole Sunshine Coast - many times, but no to taking the ferry over to Comox. Saddest thing about the Sunshine Coast is, the highway is insane for bicycle riding. Sad, because it will make a fantastic bike tour, if bike lanes are ever built.

Never an extra on the Beachcombers, never actually tried.

Roberts Creek (halfway between Gibsons and Sechelt): This is a little place stuck in time: think Summer of Love, hippies roaming the streets, you expect a peace sign wherever you go. It is quite retro-charming, with the breeze wafting a certain familiar aroma past you now and again. I think Roberts Creek is on Permanent High status, and the mellow atmosphere is very enticing.

no new posts