Do your parents drive you crazy?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
My ma and pa are upon me. Its already driving me crazy :? They have been here only a few hours. I managed to ditch my mother for a few seconds to post my distress call. My mom is a fiesty little ghome... when did ghomes start nagging? when will she get a walker and slow down long enough for me to find a good hiding spot. Oh here she comes I can hear her calling for me :)

Haggis I missed your fine self yesterday :cry:

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
My father once said to the 5 of us (yes, that many) at a particularly raucus dinner table (after what we were sure was a legitimate murder threat on his part)..

"I'm your father...it is my job to make your lives miserable. Someday, you'll have children and do the same.

AND YOU'LL ENJOY IT."

I did not see any of that in Dr. Spock. I can only assume he overlooked that chapter because he was busy hounding his kids.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
What is this 8O maybe your father is my father, he also had five :)

If my mother were a sound, she would be the sound of scraping the bottom of the porridge pot, with nar a pittance for a fly :lol: Parents say the darnest things :)

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
My mom would sound like a cross between fingernails on a blackboard, a shotgun being cocked and the mother on "Everyone loves Raymond'.

Since I really don't know you guys, I have to be polite.

Forgive me for holding back.

Juuuuuuuust kidding.....

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
peapod said:
My ma and pa are upon me. Its already driving me crazy :? They have been here only a few hours. I managed to ditch my mother for a few seconds to post my distress call. My mom is a fiesty little ghome... when did ghomes start nagging? when will she get a walker and slow down long enough for me to find a good hiding spot. Oh here she comes I can hear her calling for me :)

Haggis I missed your fine self yesterday :cry:

Hi Pea, thank you! Funny, the first thing I do when I get back from being away like that is to check the blinkin' forum. Does everybody else do that too or am I the only one so obsessed?

Anyway, my mum and dad are dead, but I have to say, they were highly atypical in all regards. They, as I, had the firm belief that you see people only because you want to, and that includes family. It worked really well, for our family behaved the way you behave with friends, and was better for it.

The in-laws on the other hand... oh boy. Imagine first growing up in a house, as I did, where you're always treated respectfully, and from the instant you were a responsible adult (and I don't mean at 19, but rather at whatever age you yourself acted like an adult) you were treated as one. Disapproval was something reserved only for children and never, ever appropriate for adults. Then imagine suddenly getting in-laws who treated you as one would treat a child, who felt that 'family' is synonymous with 'being as rude as you want to be', and who felt a driving need to disapprove of you right, left, and center. Imagine the hell, and imagine how much I ever did like those in-laws.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
the first thing I do when I get back from being away like that is to check the blinkin' forum. Does everybody else do that too or am I the only one so obsessed?

You may need more therapy than anticipated.

Kinda like me, sis.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
peapod said:
Haggis you leave the forum do ya? How do you do that :)

! Ha, that's a good one, it took me a minute to see what you meant! Yeah, it is hard to leave it. I keep checking back during movie watching at night, a voice in the background yelling, 'GET OFF THAT BLOODY FORUM AND GET BACK IN HERE!!'

Fortunately, he is just kidding, because he loves surfing too. We have side-by-side computers, and he surfs eBay and such and I postalot. We're usually both quite willing to take movie breaks to come in here for computerating, since few movies keep us riveted.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
'GET OFF THAT BLOODY FORUM AND GET BACK IN HERE!!'
Haggis let me ask you this, what the hell is my mother doing over at your house. 8O

Rent Edward sissorhands this weekend...I want your review

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
peapod said:
'GET OFF THAT BLOODY FORUM AND GET BACK IN HERE!!'
Haggis let me ask you this, what the hell is my mother doing over at your house. 8O

Rent Edward sissorhands this weekend...I want your review

:cool: Bossy damn creature. Yes, I have just written it down and will absolutely rent it, probably tonight.

By the way, be careful of wishing for the walker, it could be used as a weapon. After all, when I am a very old lady, I plan to arm myself with a cane for which to beat people when I need a bit of cheering up. :cool:

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
My mom......yeah, she is a universe unto herself. Love her dearly, drive's me nuts. also lives with us

Last year himself and I are going to a halloween party. this is a big deal, one of a few times in the year when we get to make total fools of ourself. :lol: i get 'dressed up', himself gets 'dressed up' and i even had mom in a costume - zorro. she looked wonderful.

sooooo, we go to leave. ma looks at me and asks if i have a flashlight. nope - i am taking a car i reply. oh. well you should put some reflective tape on the edge of your costume. sigh.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I adore my parents and despise them at the same time. My mother has all these amazing interests, and is a really intriguing person, but then out of the blue will decide to judge someone on something of absolutely no importance (for example, the existance of a canadian flag tatoo on a boyfriends knee...bad, I'm sure he must then be into drugs, booze, and kinky sex).

My dad is a dear as well, rough on the outside, softie on the inside, but if you get him angry it's like trying to stop a frieght train with a piece of dental floss and a finishing nail. (don't ask...this stuff just comes to me.)

I love visiting them, and I love leaving.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I lived with my parents as an adult. I watched my mother die, over a stretch of years. Finding her dead was my first actual experience of death. My Dad is a blooming personality. One day, I will find him dead. Take my advice, get to to know them well, they are your most formative influences.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I don't disagree, my parents have shaped me in ways that I don't even recognize until my husband points it out, or I realize I just said something that my mom used to say. But just because they influence me does not mean I have to become them.

I think I'll take the best of my mom, the best of my dad and become me. Although, I'm sure little parts of them I don't like will show through. As hard as I try to be perfect, it seems to be a losing battle. :)

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
To paraphrase Carl Jung, insofar as you will resist owning consciously your parents' influence over the formation of your personality, you will unconsciously imitate them. I observe this of my siblings.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Personally I think I was likely more directly influenced by my mothers parents and my grandmother's relatives than my parents. I spent a lot of time there as a child and have always considered it home even though I never actually lived there.

That being said, here is a father/son story. We were trying to "adapt" a three point hitch to Dad's old Case tractor. It didn't fit right but we had forced it on (I drove into it with a truck) and needed to take it off. I was in the "catch" position and Dad had the hammer.

He was swinging at a 1/4" piece of plate steel with a sledge hammer so there were a lot of grazing blows that ended, ultimately, just under my left nipple. We got it off, but I was a wee bit bruised by the time we did. Then the damned thing fell on my foot.

When we got done Dad said, "The only other man who would have stood there through that was Ed (my mother's father)." He wasn't wrong.

Side note...we stopped to see some friends on the way home. Their kids were being little monsters...wouldn't behave at all. One of them looked at my chest and asked how it got like that.

I told him that was where dad hit me with the hammer because I wouldn't behave. They were much better after that.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
My great-grandfather had a blacksmith shop in Vancouver. One day while he was shoeing a horse, it made an error of judgement and took a notion to kick him.

Dead calm and without a single word, my great-grandfather walked around to the front of the horse and bopped him on the head with his hammer. This killed the errant horse, much to the distress, apparently, of the owner.

An indication of the way my family is, this is one of our very most favourite stories. Yes, I suspect I take after my parents and those who came before, but I am quite happy to do so, for they were pretty terrific people to take after, all in all.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
My moms nuts.

My dad is at the stage in life where he doesnt give a damn what anybody says.

Im waiting see how I turn out.