Where is this forum headed?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
How did this awesome forum come to be? I am stunned by how much better it is than the vast majority of forums out there. Prior to this, the only one that came close was (is) Atlantic Monthly's Post & Riposte which I joined when it first started some ten years or so ago. I think I was member 12 or so, a real 'charter' member!

The place was awesome for a long time then started getting pretty bad, the quality of posting sank fast and hard. Finally it was so bad that all the originals left, or at least most of them did, and the newbies, none of 'em very nice, took over.

The years went by, and now it has regained some, but not all, of its former glory. They've cleaned up the nastiness and put in regulations that prevent future nastiness. Still, though, the forum is just too big and too frenzied, really. You can't keep up with the posting. I hope this forum doesn't get too big.

So, after a wordy intro, I would ask, what do we want from this forum? What does the administrator want? How big? How far in scope, regarding topics?

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
What do we want from this forum? I'm looking for a venue to voice opinions without being flamed, and to meet people from accross Canada and the states and hear their varying viewpoints. Only by dialogue with differing and contrasting viewpoints can we grow as individuals.

Regarding topics, bring it on. Maybe we need a section for social commentaries (like the gay marriage thread) or a thread for philosophical discussions (what happens after we die). Wherever it goes, so far I am very happy with this forum.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Good question, haggis...

I think the answer isn't all that complicated.

Like dinner, forum is only as good as the company.

Company is excellent.

That alone assures whatever direction the forum takes, it'll work fine. After all, posters set the tone, right?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:

That alone assures whatever direction the forum takes, it'll work fine. After all, posters set the tone, right?

Absolutely.

... which is why mom always made you sit in the other room. :cool:

Seriously, I like the tone of this forum, nice mix of people here. You know what I really like and appreciate? That you can post something that challenges perceptions, and it gets good, thoughtful responses. In some forums that kind of thread often sits empty.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Haggis McBagpipe said:
researchok said:

Absolutely.

... which is why mom always made you sit in the other room. :cool:

Seriously, I like the tone of this forum, nice mix of people here. You know what I really like and appreciate? That you can post something that challenges perceptions, and it gets good, thoughtful responses. In some forums that kind of thread often sits empty.

Agreed. It seems to be a good mix of people who can run the gamut and balance from the serious to the not so serious.

I have to admit I secretly hope not too many other people find this forum and change it to that which is common.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
I have to admit I secretly hope not too many other people find this forum and change it to that which is common.

It's just the right size now, especially if more members would post - but that is always true of forums, there are some who don't post as often as others. I think nice weather and holidays play mischief with the serious job of posting. Careers never seem to, but good weather does. :cool:

Too many people can not only affect the calibre of posting, but it can also make it impossible to keep up, and as a result good posts go unanswered.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Agreed.

So, any big plans for the weekend-- or are you in wedding planning overdrive?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
Agreed.

So, any big plans for the weekend-- or are you in wedding planning overdrive?

It has been a lazy, hazy weekend of bicycling and building a bookcase. Hmm, a 'b' kind of weekend.

The wedding is pretty much taken care of except for the gut-wrenching terror of picturing ourselves being hosts to 50 people all at one time. :cool:

We thought we'd have a treasure hunt for the kid guests, who will range from about 1 1/2 to 13... anyone who has good tips about putting on a treasure hunt should tell me, for by doing so you could win a brand new Audi TT - you heard right! a brand new Audi TT! I mean, you'll have to buy it yourself, but that's the prize.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
I believe we ought to have continued faith in the staff here. They assume a pretty low profile, but they are here, watching, adjusting, zapping the spam, ejecting the morons. A laissez-faire approach seems to be the order of the day. I notice, at one point before I arrived, they introduced a 'must be registered to post here' rule, which likely calmed things down quite a bit.

Andem, Gnuman, LuShes, Numure--you all deserve a big round of applause for your years of hard work and determination. If I neglected to mention anyone, I do apologize. All of you take such a low profile, one or two of you might get overlooked.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Check out treasure hunts on google-- lots if ideas.

Im going to settle down with a bottle of ripple in a bit.

Nice thing to do tonight-- my date cancelled out-- her son is sick....besides, thunderstorms all night here.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
Im going to settle down with a bottle of ripple in a bit.

Good old ripple! Hope you have a brown bag and straw handy.

Bummer about your date, but sometimes such unexpected turns work out even better, you can have serious flop-city time with your ripple and a cheesy movie. Lucky you with the thunderstorms, wish we had one brewing here.

Are you the cautious type who shuts down the computer during a storm, and stays off the telephone? Or are you like me and don't worry about it?

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Good plan to be on. Good news, by the way. My whining about wanting a storm? It has produced one. I just have to wish for something and it happens. I. Am. Omnipotent.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
And HUMBLE, so very humble.

Omnipotent. Mom says that ONCE and you belived her?

Sure, smartypants, sure.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
And HUMBLE, so very humble.

Omnipotent. Mom says that ONCE and you belived her?

Sure, smartypants, sure.

And why do you think your date cancelled? Nyah nyah, I just said aloud, 'make my brother get rippled tonight' and *blip* your date called and cancelled. What can I say. I am just that good.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
You're not wrong in stating we stay low profile while zapping / spam and watching things stay in order! Part of my day includes checking for spam and keeping them out of the forums.

The main idea of these forums is a place to openly express opinions on topics in Canada. Ofcourse we all want it to get bigger, that means it gets more diversity and opinions.

The direction of this forum is where users want to take it. Simple as that. Make your suggestions, post your ideas or send us an email.