Jonathan Brown on sex slavery

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
So who is Jonathan Brown?
Jonathan Brown is the Alwaleed bin Talal Chair of Islamic Civilization in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, and he is the Director of the Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim Christian Understanding.
Brown has recently hit the headlines for defending the practices of slavery and concubinage in a lecture. Like many apologists he borrows from discourses more usually associated with secular liberalism to soothe his listeners’ ears. Some use the language of human rights and liberalism to defend illiberal practices. Brown disingenuously invokes postmodern relativist uncertainty to trivialise rape. Here are some excerpts from his justification (taken from this piece at the Daily Banter).
It’s very hard to have this discussion because we think of, let’s say in the modern United States, the sine qua non of morally correct sex is consent. We think of people as autonomous agents. Everybody’s an autonomous agent and it’s the consent of that autonomous agent that makes a sexual action acceptable. Correct?
For most of human history human beings have not thought of consent as the essential feature of morally correct sexual activity. And second, we fetishize the idea of autonomy to the extent that we forget, again who’s really free? Are we really autonomous people? I mean what does autonomy mean? Can I just drive—can I be like a cowboy and in a movie or an action TV series where I just get on my motorcycle and just ride to the West? No, I got kids. I have a mortgage. I mean we’re all born into and live in a network of relationships and responsibilities and duties, but we have this obsession with the idea of autonomy.

We see [the difference between being a concubine and a wife] as enormous because we’re obsessed with the idea of autonomy and consent, would be my first response.
With horrible sophistry, in a calm and chatty tone, Brown presents the fact that we cannot do exactly what we feel like all the time (or will pay a price if we try to do so) as a justification for rape. Here, via Tom Holland, is another statement on the topic (from 2015).

This story broke a couple of days ago but has received comparatively little coverage. There is nothing in the mainstream media, as far as I can see, although there is of course a post on Jihad Watch and a great many Trump supporters are tweeting their disapproval. To be fair, so are a good many liberals – but it’s more dispiriting than surprising to see such comparative indifference to a tenured academic at a US university expressing these utterly horrifying views.

Harry's Place » Jonathan Brown on sex slavery

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
We have some cases in our own societies, different, but here's are 4 example: Ariel Castro kidnapped 3 girls and kept them as sex slaves for years; Cameron and Janice Hooker kidnapped a girl and kept her for 7yrs (the girl in the box); Phillip Garrido kidnapped Jaycee Dugard and kept her as his sex slave for 11 Years (she was 11 when he took her); Pratt locked up a boy for 6 years as his sex slave. The difference is that we are horrified by these injustice and cruel entitlement over another human being, so for us sex slave and human trafficking, or forcing another human to marry a man 40 years her senior is against our laws.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Some cultural habits die hard, like Locust and his fixation with all things Muslim. As Remington points out, you don't have to look farther than your next door neighbour to find sexual deviance. I some cases, you don't have to look outside your own bedroom.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Some cultural habits die hard, like Locust and his fixation with all things Muslim. As Remington points out, you don't have to look farther than your next door neighbour to find sexual deviance. I some cases, you don't have to look outside your own bedroom.

I have really good binoculars and you don't know just how right you are!

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You do understand that there's a difference between rape and actually justifying it by trying to normalize it though, right?
I mean geez, humans have been conquering each other and occupying each others lands all through history. Hell, that was "normal" for thousands and thousands of years up until recently, relatively speaking. So I guess we should quit bitching about the conquest of the Americas and all the killing and colonizing that went on.
Slavery in general was a huge part of human history and in some countries and cultures, still is. I guess that makes it okay for me to kidnap some inferior being and force them to serve me. Where do you live again, Cliffy?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Some cultures have evolved - others haven't; some people have evolved and others haven't. We all still have a ways to go.

JMHO

Buffy

Nominee Member
Jan 3, 2017
U.S.A.
First they came for the unionists and I said nothing because I wasn't a unionist.
Next they came for the communists and I said nothing because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the Jews and again I said nothing because I wasn't a Jew.
Finally the came for the Liberals and I said nothing because I was rolling on the floor laughing my *** off.