Why do people avoid Politics?

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ignorance is bliss for some, I guess. Many people think that it doesn't matter what they stand for, the powers-that-be are going to steam roll them regardless, so why waste energy on a losing proposition that only promises frustration and disappointment.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thats a very good point but im sure you have a life at the same while being up to date on whose sniffely sniffely snifty....

What I meant was that for a lot of people politics is just a thing to worry about or something that requires a lot of intellectual effort. It's like more work to have to think about these things. When people have so many things to do and no interest in politics, I understand why they'd just like to ignore it. We have this democratic ideal that everyone should participate and stay informed, and while this might be good thing, in the end choosing not to participate is part of it too. I personally find politics interesting, so it's easy for me to pay attention to it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I find politics to be infuriating. It's like picking which used car salesman you want to lie and rip you off each time you vote. I vote, but I'm choosing the lesser of the evils/liars

They need to add 2 options to the ballots. 1 with a blank line so we can insert whomever we want and 2 none of the above.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If none of the above won, would we have no government?

The sigh of the oppressed creature.

If such a thing were to happen, then the people have spoken: None of the provided liars are wanted.

Would be interesting.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Too many people avoid politics because they don't see much policy discussion. For the most part, it's just empty rhetoric. Ask a Trumpite why they support massive deficits or ask a Trudeauite why Indians need canoe sheds and neither can give an intelligent response.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
In all honesty, had I been able to vote in the US Federal election, I probably would have cast a blank ballot. I know some anti-Trumpites would hate me for this, but Clinton truly wasn't much better.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Too many people avoid politics because they don't see much policy discussion. For the most part, it's just empty rhetoric. Ask a Trumpite why they support massive deficits or ask a Trudeauite why Indians need canoe sheds and neither can give an intelligent response.

Empty rhetoric works though. It's why politicians do it. Though I'm not sure you can rally much support around "a shed for every canoe!"

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Empty rhetoric works though. It's why politicians do it. Though I'm not sure you can rally much support around "a shed for every canoe!"

The "good" thing about empty rhetoric, attack ads, etc. is that if you can convince enough people to not vote for your opponent, then you win not because you get many votes, but just because fewer voted for your opponent. The race to the bottom.