Why Feminism Has Become Toxic

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
feminism is good and cool. as long as it's from radical leftists, not the rich bourgeoisie morons.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Pre Uber Feminists...

At home. With family. One salary to get by. Happy.

Post Uber Feminists...

Stuck in low-paying retail job. Away from family. Need 2 salaries just to break even. Miserable.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The problem with Feminism is that it's equally hypocritical to the things it seems to stand against.

Gotta rewrite the anthem because it mentions men and not women.

Can't have men only gyms because that's discrimination, Yet women can have women only gyms because they're worried evil men will look at them.

Girls need to be allowed in Boy Scouts.

The fact of the matter is that Feminism focuses so much on removing men only things for the sake of inclusion while women get to keep all their girl-only sh×t.

Since I was a child I grew up learning that everybody should be treated equally, yet I also understand that each group of people should be able to have their own areas where they can get away from the other gender(s) and just do things with others like themselves.... And there is nothing wrong with that.

But when one group complains about inequality or not being included in something, then demand change to accommodate their complaints but then cry foul when the same is done to them.... That is text book hypocrisy and it is not equality.

Speaking of equality, if Feminism was truly about equality then it wouldn't be called FEMINISM.

Now you get a group of people who reach too far and take more than their share, while not giving up anything from their side, using the defence that their gender has suffered for so long that they deserve more. They make it out that all men are scum unless they bow to all your own beliefs even if it is to their own expense.

Supporting Feminism is the cool and trendy thing to do these days after all and if you don't but still support true equality, you're still a scumbag.

When I went into Curves back in Halifax to pick up my then-girlfriend, I merely walked in and sat down by the entrance to wait for her to finish up. There was nobody else even there except her and the employees... Yet for the 10 mins I sat there, someone was constantly watching me and giving me the stink eye as through I shouldn't be there simply because I was male and must be some sexual predator.

I am not about to ignore or excuse anything the male gender has done over the centuries, but you can't expect equality when you villainize everyone from that gender as if they personally did something wrong to you.

In school, I had more friends that were girls than boys. I'm straight and yet I also wasn't being their friends in order to get in bed with them. I listened and helped them as a friend. I treated them with respect... Yet more often than I can count, I encounter situations where I am treated differently by females simply because I am a guy. Assumptions are made before I even open my mouth.... Hell some in this thread already proven this, making assumptions that I am some redneck guy who thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen making me a sandwich.

If people want equality, then make equality in your own life. Treat others as you would have them treat you.

The moment you try and make a movement or organisation around your beliefs, you eventually end up with that movement being hijacked by others and twisted into something else that doesn't serve its original purpose.

And honestly, if you can't treat others equally throughout your life well enough without some label or association to a group, then you don't really believe in what you claim, you just want to feel like you fit in.

And really, branding men as being the root problem for pretty much everything in the world and history itself, while continually attempting to strip away things associated with being male... How can one sit there and think they're going to win more men over to their own gender-branded cause?

The females in the above article understand this, are from my generation and their views match my own. I am glad that for once people are actually speaking their opinions in an educated manner about real equality.

This part of the article says it well enough:

Society tends to think of all boys as budding little abusers and rapists. Really, someone even wrote a book on just that, to great acclaim. “Asking For It” by Kate Harding has 60-plus reviews and a 4.5/5-star average for claiming that boys grow up feeling entitled to women’s bodies and thinking that they can go for it whenever the urge strikes.

My objections are two: first, how in this day and age do we in America think this kind of blanket stereotyping is acceptable? Second, what happens when we assume the worst of our sons? If we insist on seeing them through base desires, then why fight those base desires? Be the monster they expect you to be. As I recall, that was one of the arguments feminists used about women’s confidence—that when we treat females as little women, they conform to our expectations.

This applies to a lot of things in our lives... Most recently with Muslims. Label and brand them all as terrorists and then treat them all as terrorists, then guess what will happen?

Frig you don't even need to guess, just read the news.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When I went into Curves back in Halifax to pick up my then-girlfriend, I merely walked in and sat down by the entrance to wait for her to finish up. There was nobody else even there except her and the employees... Yet for the 10 mins I sat there, someone was constantly watching me and giving me the stink eye as through I shouldn't be there simply because I was male and must be some sexual predator.
Kinda like being a brown person in a white neighborhood, eh, cupcake?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It all depends on the Feminism you're talking about. There's a lot of them out there and to lump them all together is, typically, stupid.

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
It all depends on the Feminism you're talking about. There's a lot of them out there and to lump them all together is, typically, stupid.

This is the general idea. People who cry out against feminism like to use extremist examples...ones that I wouldn't agree to belief with... and I consider myself a feminist

True feminism is about equality as human beings... not one sex being greater or less than the other. The fact that men have prevented that equality from occuring has caused these extremist movements in feminism... but that still doesn't make it right.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Nah...

They Uber Feminists told my Mom she was useless staying at home and raising her kids. Told her to go to work and have a career or she sucked.

So all of the women went back to work in droves. Women used to control the community...now THAT was power, baby! Now we have by-law officers running around loaded for bear handing out cat fines. And nobody knows anybody anymore in the community.

The stay-at-home women of the past may very well have looked after that Mosque shooter before it got out of hand.

(sigh) I'm just wistful for the 50's i suppose.