Because Boys Are Something To Be Fixed

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
In the Sydney Morning Herald, proud feminist and former educator Polly Dunning shares her experience of motherhood:

I’ve always been a feminist. I’m lucky. My mother, Jane Caro, is a feminist, as is my grandmother, and both always have been. It’s something I’ve never questioned and always felt confident and strident about. Just ask me about it at a dinner party (if you dare...)

Setting aside the prospect of some horrendous dinner parties, note Ms Dunning’s satisfaction with a set of assumptions that are stridently voiced and “never questioned.”

Motherhood has been quite a confronting experience for my feminism so far, and I'm sure it will continue to be. Ever since discovering I was pregnant it’s been a process of adjusting and reconciling my biology with my ideology, particularly when I discovered that my baby, my most-beloved Alfred, would be a boy.

That little red light is a warning sign.

I had never wanted a son. In fact, I had decidedly not wanted one. I wanted daughters, probably because I am one of two daughters and six granddaughters, no sons or grandsons. This seemed altogether to fit in with my feminism better… There were dark moments in the middle of the night (when all those dark thoughts come), when I felt sick at the thought of something male growing inside me.

Yes, I know. The little red light is flashing now. Best cover it with a towel.

mo

davidthompson: An Eighteen-Year Project

Because Boys Are Something To Be Fixed - Small Dead Animals

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The problem, as I see it, with women like Polly is that they are fanatical in their approach to feminism and brook no opponents to their totalitarian view of how the world should be. She represents the fringe element that I watched arise along with the burn-the-bra movement - as stupid an idea as I have ever heard - and one that now through the use of social media is reaching hordes of other witless women. They are in their own way just as 'redneck' as the men they so despise.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
In the Sydney Morning Herald, proud feminist and former educator Polly Dunning shares her experience of motherhood:

I’ve always been a feminist. I’m lucky. My mother, Jane Caro, is a feminist, as is my grandmother, and both always have been. It’s something I’ve never questioned and always felt confident and strident about. Just ask me about it at a dinner party (if you dare...)

Setting aside the prospect of some horrendous dinner parties, note Ms Dunning’s satisfaction with a set of assumptions that are stridently voiced and “never questioned.”

Motherhood has been quite a confronting experience for my feminism so far, and I'm sure it will continue to be. Ever since discovering I was pregnant it’s been a process of adjusting and reconciling my biology with my ideology, particularly when I discovered that my baby, my most-beloved Alfred, would be a boy.

That little red light is a warning sign.

I had never wanted a son. In fact, I had decidedly not wanted one. I wanted daughters, probably because I am one of two daughters and six granddaughters, no sons or grandsons. This seemed altogether to fit in with my feminism better… There were dark moments in the middle of the night (when all those dark thoughts come), when I felt sick at the thought of something male growing inside me.

Yes, I know. The little red light is flashing now. Best cover it with a towel.

The wedge that's been driven between the sexes is made of cheeze we hunt rabbits, rabbits make babies, the communists feministas are stuck with us males or they'll never realize thier potential. Artificial ensemination is artifical.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Feminism makes no sense. As I see it feminists are just women who are insecure in their womanhood. They keep trying to prove their worth by competing with men.
Feminists don't seem to understand that males and female are equally important to a balanced society. The two genders should compliment each other, not compete with each other.
Everyone has special talents, male or female and we should be content to be who and what we are.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Wow, guys in Polly's family must grow up to be happy, well adjusted men!

Umm, doesn't sound like there were any, at least prior. All the guys seem to have been only the husbands, if there were any at that. Considering she seems to be somewhat of a misandrist, as well her female siblings and extended immediate family, what guys would there be? If there are any, they are probably out in the shed having a beer and sharing their woes with the only friend the missus lets them have, John, Deere, and they've probably been told, "start up ol' John and crank up the heat cuz it's cold in there, have lots o' beer, cuz it'll make the coroner's report a lot simpler, opps! did I say that last part out loud?"

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
I don't see a woman abhoant to the thought of a male son growing inside her as a feminist... I see that as clinically insane. That has nothing to do with feminism.

True feminism is about equality of rights of people, regardless of gender; that humans have equal rights as humans, to be treated equitably

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
I'd have to say, as a feminist, that I had great anxiety over bringing a girl into the world we live in... and I haven't been proved wrong about that...