Ottawa Red Blacks...It's Racist!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If it's comedy, it should be in the "joke" section. Instead it's in the "hot topics" section. Clearly it's a hot topic for angry old white guys

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I like how everyone is like everything non white is cultural appropiation but those same groups never talk about or mention the Celtics, Fighting Irish....

Not that i care about the names of sports teams but Double Standard much?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I like how everyone is like everything non white is cultural appropiation but those same groups never talk about or mention the Celtics, Fighting Irish....

Not that i care about the names of sports teams but Double Standard much?

I always thought the NCAA was silly for demanding that the Fighting Sioux change their name but have no issues with the Fighting Irish. It's even funnier when you look at the respectable Sioux logo and the cartoonish leprechaun.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I always thought the NCAA was silly for demanding that the Fighting Sioux change their name but have no issues with the Fighting Irish. It's even funnier when you look at the respectable Sioux logo and the cartoonist leprechaun.

The leprechaun is a cartoonist?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I don't know about racist but it's the stupidest name I ever heard for a professional football team.
Reds, Blacks or Stripers might have been half-way sensible but 'RED BLACKS'? Jeez!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Nothing serious to see here. This is a Jimmy Kimmel or 22 Minutes type bit where the interviewer feeds moronic ideas to people. I find it quite ridiculous how some people respond to an interviewer I would simply have told to phuch off. And yes, Red Blacks is a terrible name, but not because it has anything to do with race, but simply because it is so lacking in imagination.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lumberjack culture is being exploited.

Think of the lumberjack children and that being fleeced is an honour and not a privilege.