Nationalism

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
noun 1. spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.

2. devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.

3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.

4. the desire for national advancement or political independence.

5. the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.

6. an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.

7. a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation.

This is meant to be a question to those who oppose nationalism. Or as President Obama called it, 'crude' nationalism.
What do you feel is wrong with nationalism?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There are two general social movements associated with the word Nationalism. The first is the constructive, integral, inclusive, moral and constitutional Nation State.. as Donald Trump wants to build. It is characterized by secure borders, an integrated national industrial economy, shared economic wealth, and usually peaceful coexistence with its neighbours

The other is termed Nationalism.. but it is really Tribalism. It is destructive, fractured, exclusive, amoral and an ideological vestige of an imperial construct. It recognizes no borders, espouses global economic imperialism, polarizes wealth within an small ruling oligarchy, and is almost always in conflict with its neighbours. Essentially it is this form of nationalism has been the ruling paradigm of the world since the 1970s.

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Obama on Trump's election: We 'have to guard against a rise in a crude sort of nationalism'

"We are going to have to guard against a rise in a crude sort of nationalism or ethnic identity or tribalism that is built around an 'us' and a 'them,'" he said. "And I will never apologize for saying that the future of humanity, the future of the world is going to be defined by what we have in common, [not] those things that separate us and ultimately lead us into conflict."
Obama, after Trump win, warns against rise in nationalism - Business Insider

As Israel Prospers, Obama Set to Give Billions More in Aid While Netanyahu Demands Even More
The U.S. already transfers $3.1 billion in taxpayer money every year to Israel — more than any other country by far — but the new agreement Obama is set to sign “significantly raises” that amount, and guarantees it for 10 years.
https://theintercept.com/2016/07/31...ons-more-in-aid-while-netanyahu-demands-more/

The U.S. Just Agreed to Give Israel $38 Billion in Military Aid
http://fortune.com/2016/09/13/us-israel-military-aid/

nothing more crudely nationalistic then an apartheid racist nation

Venezuelan envoy to UN: Does Israel seek 'final solution' against Palestinians?
http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-C...ek-final-solution-against-Palestinians-453347

go figure

Last edited:

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Re Hitler, I didn't see any definition of Nationalism that described invading and conquering other nations. An I missing something?
It was Hitler's policy of nationalism that got him into power. It was his own madness for world domination that got him defeated. Nothing to do with nationalism.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Re Hitler, I didn't see any definition of Nationalism that described invading and conquering other nations. An I missing something?
It was Hitler's policy of nationalism that got him into power. It was his own madness for world domination that got him defeated. Nothing to do with nationalism.
And you see no problem with six million murdered, since they weren't European Christians.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
noun 1. spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.

2. devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.

3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.

4. the desire for national advancement or political independence.

5. the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.

6. an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.

7. a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation.

This is meant to be a question to those who oppose nationalism. Or as President Obama called it, 'crude' nationalism.
What do you feel is wrong with nationalism?

Let's not confuse nationalism with patriotism. Patriotism is neither more nor less than love for one's country.

That's why I reject nationalism but embrace patriotism.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Number 5

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The other is termed Nationalism.. but it really tribalism. It is destructive, fractured, exclusive, amoral and an ideological vestige of an imperial construct. It recognizes no borders, espouses global economic imperialism, polarizes wealth within an small ruling oligarchy, and is almost always in conflict with its neighbours. Essentially it is this form of nationalism has been the ruling paradigm of the world since the 1970s.

This is where confusion come into play. Tribalism is different from nationalism. I don't see the connection.
Nationalism signifies common interests and goal. Tribalism signifies 'us against them'.

I hope society is not yet again changing the meaning of a word to have a new/different/ or more negative connotation.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
And you see no problem with six million murdered, since they weren't European Christians.
In 1990, the plaques with the figure of 4 million at the International Monument at Birkenau were removed. It was not until 1995 that new plaques were placed at the International Monument with 20 metal plates inscribed in Yiddish, English and all the major languages of Europe; the plaques were set on granite slabs on the steps of the International Monument. The number of deaths at Auschwitz, according to each of the 20 metal plates, is 1.5 million.
https://furtherglory.wordpress.com/...numbers-for-auschwitz-birkenau-keep-changing/

the bull never stops with you butt hurt babes
sh!t disturbing and non comprehending democratic butthurt

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The part that got his country destroyed, half his male population killed, his women raped, and his country occupied and torn in half.

What definition of 'nationalism' describes that behavior? I didn't see in 1,2,3,4,,6 or 7 where nationalism means getting half the male population killed, women raped or the country occupied.
Real nationalism would actually prevent those things from happening.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Tec can not reconcile his democratic holier then thou so called anti racist attitude with his love of an apartheid nation
neither can obama, nor hillary

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Speak only from a Canadian perspective, tribalism didn't exist in Canada until immigrants began coming in droves from countries where tribalism was practised.
Previously, the immigrants came from many different nations and assimilated into a peaceful and inclusive society.