Minn. woman guilty of assaulting non-English speaker

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Minn. woman guilty of assaulting non-English speaker
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 02:12 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, October 17, 2016 02:19 PM EDT
ANOKA, Minn. — A Minnesota woman has pleaded guilty to assault for attacking another woman in a restaurant because she was speaking Swahili.
Jodie Burchard-Risch was at an Applebee’s in Coon Rapids last year when she smashed her glass beer mug in Asma Jama’s face, causing significant injuries. A criminal complaint said Burchard-Risch became upset before the attack because Jama wasn’t speaking English.
The 44-year-old Burchard-Risch pleaded guilty Monday to third-degree assault.
Jama told reporters she was happy with the guilty plea.
Under the plea deal, Burchard-Risch will face 180 days in jail and five years of probation. If she violates probation, she could spend about three years in prison. She’ll be sentenced in December.
Minn. woman guilty of assaulting non-English speaker | World | News | Toronto Su

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When we elect Trump, no Real American will ever be punished for attacking a (ahem!) non-English speaker.

What is it with English that makes speakers do such things?
And why aren't their community leaders speaking out against this kind of violence and terrorism?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
When we elect Trump, no Real American will ever be punished for attacking a (ahem!) non-English speaker.

And why aren't their community leaders speaking out against this kind of violence and terrorism?

We'll wait for an official response from the Commonwealth of Nations.

Oxford University Press is a major publisher of English dictionaries. By not speaking out against this, it lends its tacit approval. And what about Miriam-Webster? What do they say about this?

The silence is deafening. It speaks volumes.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Bigots have now been given the go ahead to express themselves openly. I've seen much much worst in some places I've travelled to, but in those places one expects it. Your place in your clan is taken very seriously in some areas, you cannot cross over to the next clan. I remember a house had been burned to the ground because the couple were from different clans!! I recall lying on a beach off the coast of Africa and guards were chasing the locals trying to sell us beads, with sticks!! Bigotry has been embraced in the US now, and promoted by a presidential candidate, that is a serious mistake in my opinion. This women probably left her bigoted country to run from bigots, amongst many other reasons I'm sure.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Bigots have now been given the go ahead to express themselves openly. I've seen much much worst in some places I've travelled to, but in those places one expects it. Your place in your clan is taken very seriously in some areas, you cannot cross over to the next clan. I remember a house had been burned to the ground because the couple were from different clans!! I recall lying on a beach off the coast of Africa and guards were chasing the locals trying to sell us beads, with sticks!! Bigotry has been embraced in the US now, and promoted by a presidential candidate, that is a serious mistake in my opinion. This women probably left her bigoted country to run from bigots, amongst many other reasons I'm sure.

And that's why Miriam-Webster needs to call it out.

Last edited:

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada has their bigots too. Couple of years ago, we were staying at a Hotel in NS. In the morning, we went down to the restaurant to for breakfast, an older lady and a young man walk in and ordered breakfast, they had been in the elevator with us. The waitress took ours order at the same time. We got served and finished our breakfast and got our bill while they had not even been served, so no doubt what was going on. The young man asked a few times and kept being told it was coming. He asked at one point if his mom could have just a boiled egg, it never came. After a while they left. They were black.