Woman says she was forced to change airline seats to accommodate 2 men’s ‘cultural be

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Woman says she was forced to change airline seats to accommodate 2 men’s ‘cultural beliefs’
Postmedia Network
First posted: Monday, October 03, 2016 01:53 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, October 03, 2016 02:39 PM EDT
An Orange County woman says she was forced to change seats on her United Airlines because a pair of men in her row had “cultural” problems with sitting next to a woman.
Mary Campos pre-booked a ticket from California to Houston on United Airlines last week but was shocked to receive a new boarding pass just before her flight.
She says the ticket agent told her: “The two gentlemen seated next to you have cultural beliefs that prevent them for sitting next to, or talking to or communicating with females,” CBS News reports.
She said the men, dressed in orange robes, were described to her as “Pakistani monks.”
Pakistan is overwhelmingly Muslim, and Islam forbids the practice of monasticism. Orange robes are generally associated with buddhist monks. In some buddhist cultures, and depending on vows they have taken, monks avoid interacting with women.
Regardless, Campos was not impressed.
“I thought I lived in a culture where women were equal to men,” she said.
After her flight, she sent a letter to the CEO of United Airlines.
“What if I were handicapped, or transgender?” she wrote. “What if your entire crew were female? Any belief that prevents individuals from interacting with females should not travel on commercial aircraft.”
United Airlines replied it would look into the incident.
Campos says she doesn’t intend to sue the airline but would like United Airlines to apologize to every woman on the flight, including staff. She also hoped the company would change its policies to better protect women’s rights.
“We regret that Ms. Campos was unhappy with the handling of the seat assignments on her flight,” the airline said in a statement. “United holds its employees to the highest standards of professionalism and has zero tolerance for discrimination.”
Woman says she was forced to change airline seats to accommodate 2 men’s ‘cultur

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Wasn't there a story a few months ago, very similar, except the man in question was Jewish?

Hey, if you don't want to sit next to a random stranger, then you should drive.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Wasn't there a story a few months ago, very similar, except the man in question was Jewish?

Hey, if you don't want to sit next to a random stranger, then you should drive.
Nope, the orthodox Jews have another solution (one I find quite amusing):

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
did the men purchase the seat next to them so they could ensure the seat was empty? If not then too bad and so sad for them.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nope, the orthodox Jews have another solution (one I find quite amusing):

Is that a joke? Anyway, if true, it is an efficient solution. I presume there are breathing holes. It would need to be a breathable material for it to be comfortable. But yes, you want to put yourself in a baggie, by all means do so.

But why is the bag transparent? Only the front part should be transparent to let light in to read a book. The sides should be metallic. That way, he can't see the woman next to him and so get tempted to sexually assault her (poor guy to be so unable to control himself), and metallic would help to reflect light to make it brighter if he wants to read.

But I'll give credit where credit is due. At least he knows himself and knows what he has to to to avoid dangerous triggers that could lead him to commit a sex crime. Kudos to him! :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Another alternative if he really can't control his urges would be for him to lock himself in a custom-fitted steel chastity belt, ship the key to himself in the destination city, and then no worries about losing control on-flight.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
“We regret that Ms. Campos was unhappy with the handling of the seat assignments on her flight,” the airline said in a statement. “United holds its employees to the highest standards of professionalism and has zero tolerance for discrimination.”

Unless your muslims.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nope. Check it out.

When you think outside the box, there's always a solution. Imagine the Bag-a-Jew industry:

"Are you boarding a flight tomorrow and you're afraid you might be sitting next to a... the W word?

"Fear not, Bag-a-Jew (TM) is here to make your flight heavenly!

"Our bags are big enough for any man to fit in, breathable,comfortable, and non-transparent on the sides (we wouldn't want you to get tempted to sin now would we?).

"Our bag sides come in white, green, and black (with other colours coming soon).

"And if you buy now, we'll even throw in a chastity belt at half price (just in case you lose control and break out of the bag). Better safe with G-d than sorry in Shaol now, wouldn't you say."

Pictured: Orthodox Jewish man covers himself in PLASTIC BAG during flight | Daily Mail Online

I found the picture online. It turns out his case had nothing to do with women.

Firstly, where in the Bible does it say a person cannot fly over a cemetry.

Secondly, according to the silly interpretation of one Rabbi, this man wasn't protected enough! Any breathing hole would have contaminated him to teh surrounding impurity and so would violate the law should the plane fly over a cemetery. But isn't the plane itself airtight? Even if not, just block airhole while flying over a cemetry (should take no more than a second at the speed that plane is going)?

Crazy, crazy beliefs.What appens in a person dies on the plane? Give the Jew a SCUBA suit?

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Then the Pakistani monks would have had to walk, swim, drive (probably not smart enough to have drivers license) or hitchhike. There should be zero accommodation for this type of prejudice; why would anybody enable this ??? Women need to boycott this airline, period. It sends the wrong message and should never be allowed or tolerated.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Actually, there are many cases where women have to move because of ultra-orthodox jerks, I mean jews.
Regardless it is equally disgusting . Any airline or transportation company that does not treat women equally should have their licence revoked . IMHO .