Moving to Canada

equipmanager

Sep 28, 2016
Hello,
I am new here and please take down if not allowed. I am a US citizen, and I am starting to consider moving my family to Canada. My husband and I are both educated professionals, but I don't know if I can take living in the US much longer. My question is and forgive my ignorance, where do I even begin looking for a new community in Canada to move to? Suggestions? I don't know anyone from Canada so I cannot reach out to anyone in that aspect. Also we would be relocating as well as looking for jobs. My husband is a teacher and I work in the heavy machinery/service business.

The reason why I want to move to Canada and hopefully get citizenship? I have been to Canada one time very long ago, and it is a BEAUTIFUL place. It was right over the Minnesota boarder, but hey it was Canada! :)
I am tired of the hatred of America's mindset. I am tired of people not being able to live in peace. I am tired of putting my defense up because I don't know how the people surrounding me motives, or morals.

I am by no means naive, I know everywhere has their own problems, but the USA is at it's all time worse.

Any advise or suggestions welcome. I am hoping not to receive any negativity on this.....

Thank you and take care- J

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I've visited many places in my Country. Like the US (which I like), all were very nice, but I've found that Moncton, NB was beautiful, the properties are so nice and affordable, the people take pride in how they look and they seem to be all fully blingual. I also love Lunenberg, NS. Another really beautiful place I lived in was Unionville, ON Westport ON was also really nice and I have to say Gananoque was so pretty and peaceful. If you speak French, I would chose Quebec City of course. The west coast is also quite beautiful, I like Canmore, AB and of course, Victoria, BC. PEI and NFLD are rich in culture and the people are so very nice. Good luck sir and hopefully you can come and live in Canada.

equipmanager

Sep 28, 2016
I've visited many places in my Country. Like the US (which I like), all were very nice, but I've found that Moncton, NB was beautiful, the properties are so nice and affordable, the people take pride in how they look and they seem to be all fully blingual. I also love Lunenberg, NS. Another really beautiful place I lived in was Unionville, ON Westport ON was also really nice and I have to say Gananoque was so pretty and peaceful. If you speak French, I would chose Quebec City of course. The west coast is also quite beautiful, I like Canmore, AB and of course, Victoria, BC. PEI and NFLD are rich in culture and the people are so very nice. Good luck sir and hopefully you can come and live in Canada.
WOW!

I don't speak French unfortunately. Thank you for the reply, I am doing research on all of these!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Hello,
I am new here and please take down if not allowed. I am a US citizen, and I am starting to consider moving my family to Canada. My husband and I are both educated professionals, but I don't know if I can take living in the US much longer. My question is and forgive my ignorance, where do I even begin looking for a new community in Canada to move to? Suggestions? I don't know anyone from Canada so I cannot reach out to anyone in that aspect. Also we would be relocating as well as looking for jobs. My husband is a teacher and I work in the heavy machinery/service business.

The reason why I want to move to Canada and hopefully get citizenship? I have been to Canada one time very long ago, and it is a BEAUTIFUL place. It was right over the Minnesota boarder, but hey it was Canada! :)
I am tired of the hatred of America's mindset. I am tired of people not being able to live in peace. I am tired of putting my defense up because I don't know how the people surrounding me motives, or morals.

I am by no means naive, I know everywhere has their own problems, but the USA is at it's all time worse.

Any advise or suggestions welcome. I am hoping not to receive any negativity on this.....

You make it sound like the US is all a nightmare in every city, town and village. Get on up there and stay.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Hello,

Come on over. Go to British Columbia, unless you're looking to freeze half to death most of the year.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hello,

Hi there, Equipmanager.

You might want to get at least a conditional offer before quitting your present jobs. workopolis.com is a good site for that as is indeed.com. I'm sure other job hunting sites exist.

You might also want to ensure that your qualifications are recognized in the province to which you intend to move. Canada is a fairly decentralized federation, so what applies to one province might not apply to another.

You might want to consider language too. some municipalities are predominantly or officially French-speaking, others English-speaking, others English and French, and in some places, you'll be living in even other linguistic environments (Inuktitut in Nunavut, Chinese in Richmond BC and Scarborough ON, etc.

Then there is the wheather. I don't live on the Westcoast or Vancouver Island anymore, but its weather is my favourite in Canada. cool in winter, warm in summer, rarely too extreme, though very cloudy and rainy in winter. Some people find that depressing, but I prefer that to -30C however sunny it may be.

And there is cost of living. I remember saving more when I worked in Montreal at a lower wage than in Toronto at a higher wage. So not only do wages vary across the country, but costs too. And if you earn more, don't forget to calculate the tax bracket into the equation too. Each province has different taxes too, just to add to the confusion.

Well, this gives you a start anyway.

Something quiet but does have a rising economy. It would be nice to live in peace.

Oh, rising economy. Canada's economy is resource based, so the rise changes location from year to year.

You might want to focus more on demand for your skills at present and not necessary worry about the overall economy.

Think of it this way, would you rather be in well paid and secure employment in a receesed town or be unemployed in a booming town. I don't want to say don't care about your neighbour, or that the overall economy wont affect you, but start looking at the micro on that front and then focus long term. Just because it is booming now, maybe not next year. Look at Fort Mac.

Just because it is depressed now, maybe not next year.

Canada can be a roller coaster in that sense.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Hello,

Are you a Muslim family??

America is a great country and the American people are the greatest, most giving and most friendly people in the world (stats bear that out). Given the size and diversity of America, it's hard to understand why you have difficulty assimilating with them in one of their many regions.

Maybe the problem is not so much the Americans and their mindset, perhaps the real problem lies with you and your mindset???
If your having problems with America, you'll probably have similar problems with Canadians. We are all of the same extended family in a lot of ways.

equipmanager

Sep 28, 2016
Are you a Muslim family??

America is a great country and the American people are the greatest, most giving and most friendly people in the world (stats bear that out). Given the size and diversity of America, it's hard to understand why you have difficulty assimilating with them in one of their many regions.

Maybe the problem is not so much the Americans and their mindset, perhaps the real problem lies with you and your mindset???
If your having problems with America, you'll probably have similar problems with Canadians. We are all of the same extended family in a lot of ways.

Are you ****ing high?

I am a Catholic if that has any of importance to you. Are you a disgusting Republican that supporting Donald Trump? You don't know me so don't make judgments against me. I can tell that you're uneducated and you're ignorant!

You're clearly an idiot. You're the type of people that bring out the anger in me and then I want to spit on! You're a lowlife.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Are you ****ing high?

I am a Catholic if that has any of importance to you. Are you a disgusting Republican that supporting Donald Trump? You don't know me so don't make judgments against me. I can tell that you're uneducated and you're ignorant!

You're clearly an idiot. You're the type of people that bring out the anger in me and then I want to spit on! You're a lowlife.
Of course religion is important, Canada and the US are both Christian countries.

It's obvious by the tone of your response why you might be having problems in the US. It's also obvious you will have similar problems in my country of Canada.

Maybe it's best that you go back to the sh^thole country that you and your forefathers built for yourselves.

In Canada, like the great USA, we don't want to have to look after losers like you.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Are you ****ing high?

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. :).

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. :).

Pretty well tells you everything about this dude that you care to know eh.

It's clear why he can't live in the US, or probably anywhere else for that matter given his anger issues.

It's not likely that he is Catholic like he claims, if there is one characteristic about Christians it's that they are willing to listen to constructive critism carefully and discussing before getting angry. Not this dude, he's probably a Muslim??

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Are you ****ing high?

You'll have to forgive Durry. Or not. Best just to ignore him.

Personally, I think his mom drank a lot when she was pregnant with him, know what I mean?

But you might could wanna hold off on any decisions until after the election. I know, stuff was plenty hostile before the campaign, but it's been all pointless fury all the time since the primaries. Might change your perspective some after things settle down a mite.

Mind, I said hold off on decision making. Doing research is smart. Even if you don't make the big move, you'll learn plenty of interesting stuff.