Fentanyl crisis coming to Ontario, police and community groups warn

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ontario police and community groups are raising the alarm that a fentanyl crisis could be looming as synthetic versions of the drug appear across the province.

An advisory released Monday by the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police, the Waterloo Region Crime Prevention Council and other groups says 2016 has been a record year for overdose alerts and seizures of "bootleg" fentanyls by law enforcement officers.

The advisory says so-called bootleg fentanyls refer to drugs that are not prescribed by doctors, but produced synthetically and sold on the black market, usually mixed in with other illicit substances.

Synthetic versions of the drug include carefentanil, which is often used as an elephant tranquilizer, and W-18, a drug that has prompted warnings from police in several Canadian cities.

Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police spokesman Joe Couto says provincial law enforcement officials have seen an increase in the synthetic drugs in recent seizures, suggesting it is becoming more prevalent.

He says some people may not see a fentanyl crisis as a law enforcement issue, but Couto says his group believes mitigating the problem will prevent both crimes and overdose deaths.

Several other jurisdictions are also experiencing fentanyl crises, including Ohio, where last week it was reported that 1,155 deaths were related to the drug in 2015.

British Columbia's chief medical officer declared a state of emergency earlier this year following an increase in drug overdose deaths, many of which were linked to the dangerous opioid.

Michael Parkinson with the Waterloo Region Crime Prevention Council says indicators such as drug seizures point to a crisis being on the verge of unfolding in Ontario, too.

"Really, the feeling is that we're sitting on a ticking time bomb and it's about to explode," he says.

Police, community groups and health care providers in Ontario are now looking to other jurisdictions to see how they're handling the crisis, and plan ahead, Parkinson says.

Couto says police officers are constantly talking to their colleagues in other provinces and states, because they don't to want to re-learn lessons other jurisdictions have already gleaned from the crisis.

He says Ontario has taken B.C.'s lead in public education, advising drug users to be extra cautious because there may be unexpectedly powerful substances mixed into their usual doses.

Taking lessons from other places is crucial because a fentanyl crisis isn't confined by territorial borders, he adds.

"This is a Canadian problem. This isn't just a provincial problem or a specific city's problem. We are going to have people in this province dying if we aren't being pro-active."

Couto and Parkinson both say they hope the advisory gets people talking about fentanyl and helps make the issue a priority, particularly for governments.

"For us, we can't just deal with the consequence," Couto says. "If we're called because somebody has overdosed, we've failed as a society."

Fentanyl crisis coming to Ontario, police and community groups warn

let the cleansing begin

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Since this seems to be so prevalent and people are dying, I'm almost tempted to say let them die. If you are too stupid to know that this stuff kills and you STILL take it, why should I (or anyone) care?

Just wondering.....

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Since this seems to be so prevalent and people are dying, I'm almost tempted to say let them die. If you are too stupid to know that this stuff kills and you STILL take it, why should I (or anyone) care?

Just wondering.....
People suffering constant pain use the standard prescribed drugs like tramadol and then hydrocodone. After awhile the body gets use to these drugs and they no longer work and then oxycodone is used and maybe time release morphine and, if the root cause of the pain isn't controlled then eventually they won't work. It's on to stronger shyt until eventually you're outa there. Pain managment is rough and physical therapy doesn't always work. People don't always use drugs to get high. It's difficult to be in fukkin pain 24/7.

Nerve blocks , epidurals and shyt like that should be used more often I think.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Just wondering.....

It's an opiod.

After I had got my tongue operated on, my physician prescribed a painkiller. My first question was whether it contained any addictive substance, especially any opium derivatiprescription, and he gave it. That said yes to opium, I would have asked for a non-opium-derived alternative. I don't need to get addicted to that, thank you very much.

I don't remember the name of the prescription (it was yeats ago), but he did warn me that though what he had prescribed was addictive too, that it was not particularly so as long as I take it only as required.

All was fine there.

However, I have read of cases of people getting addicted to an opiod after it was prescribed by a physician.

Physicians need to be careful with this stuff too.

In one case, the woman had gone back to her physician for another prescription, and he gave it. Her asking him to renew the prescription should have raised alarm bells. When she had gone back yet again and he refused, she had gone through withdrawal and somehow found it on the black market. Eventually it escalated to intravenous heroin use.

In other cases, a person does'nt feel good, so a friend gives him some free pills saying try this, it'll help you.

From what I have read, opiods are damn addictive mainly becaise the withdrawal symptoms can be hell to go through, so even an intelligent, normal person will do anything to get his fix once he is addicted.

I think first off, opiods should be limited to palliative care or when they truly are absolutely essential.

Secondly, when prescribed, it should be the minimum prescription required.

Secondly, no renewal of the prescription. A little pain is preferable to addiction.

Thirdly, a request to renew the prescription ought to be treated as a possible sign of addiction. Maybe the physician could discuss it with the patient and refer the patient to Narcotics Anonymous. These three steps would ensure an addict could nip it in the bud in the early stages.

From what I've read, some factors can make a person more susceptible to opiod addiction. For example, even casual alcohol consumption (as opposed to alcoholism) can raise a person's susceptibility to addiction to other substances including opiods. Some people can take a year of regular use before getting addicted toban opiod. Most take around two weeks. But many also get hooked on the fist take. The theory right now is that mental state plays a big role in determining how quickly one gets hooked. PTSD, depression, another addiction, or even habitual casual consumption of an addictive substance such as alcohol even when one is not considered addicted to it.

I guess these give ideas on how a person could make himself less prone to addiction should he ever need to take prescription opiods.

I suffer PTSD, OCD, and BPD so am well aware that I am a prime candidate for addiction. In fact, I've been an alcoholic for years though I have not consumed alcohol in years either.

Though my diagnosis was later, I probably suffered PTSD before the age of twelve. At twelve on Christmas, my dad had given me a glass of wine. Half way down the glass I was already starting to compulsively gulp it and stopped only because my dad got angry. Half way down the glass, I felt like it was relaxing me, something I rarely felt until I'd left home. I was terrified of my dad. I still fear him whenever I see him, though far less than before, but the reaction is there without thinking about it. I'll get a minor adrenalin rush and a fight or flight response. That's when the acting comes in and I act normal.

The experience with the wine that day scared me, so I never drank alcohol again until I'd joined the military. Even then I refused, but peer pressure eventually broke me and I spend a six months drunk every weekend and on the last week before I quit, a whole week drunk. That was the week after leaving the military.

With the peer pressure gone though, I could quit cold turkey after that week. I then made myself some teetotaller friends since most non-addicts can't understand that when I say I don't drink, I really mean I can't drink. Yet with all due respect, I shouldn't need to tell them that. None of their business. Perhaps people should learn more about addiction in school and understand that no means no. So yes, I had essentially gotten addicted to alcohol on my first glass at the age of twelve.

By the way, it's not a good idea to give a child alcohol if he might suffer PTSD. And if a child says no, it might be a good idea to respect that.

Transgenerational trauma is not limited to the kids of indigenous people. The kids of police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, etc. can experience it too.

What helped me kick my alcohol habit was amy ability to quickly create a circle of teetotaller friends once I'd left the military. In the military, it was impossible since not only did we live together, but there was peer pressure too.

I imagine that a fentanyl addict who can make teetotaller friends stands a better chance of kicking his habit too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
However, I have read of cases of people getting addicted to an opiod after it was prescribed by a physician
The T3s or percoset your dentist gave aren't very strong and it takes weeks of use become dependent.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
They will never give more than 3 to 7 days post procedure.

But that can fail to consider other factors. For example, an alcoholic could probably get hooked on an opiod faster than a non-alcoholic. A teetotaller might take much longer to get hooked.

A person suffering post-traumatic or trans-generational stress could probably get hooked in no time flat whereas a mentally healthier person would take longer. Many possible variables.

In short, know the patient and prescribe with caution.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That is choosing to abuse. Nobody gets hooked in a week properly using their meds. Nobody. It takes a long time.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Just wondering.....

The SJWs think that all these zeros must have the finest medical care the taxpayer can provide. Nevermind productive members of society have to wait months for surgeries so they can go back to work.
This has become a real problem for frontline EMS workers because they are forced to keep their mouths shut and administer narcan to OD patients, sometimes more than once a day if they want to keep their jobs.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
See, that's what I love about CC - you learn new stuff almost every day whether you want to or not LOL.

I can understand (well maybe that's not the word) if someone needs or had a procedure and was prescribed medications for pain control and gets addicted. Machjo is right in that doctors need to take more of an interest in their patients post procedure and listen to what they're saying. (I think listening is becoming a lost art, personally).

But I'm thinking that a lot of these deaths aren't people who were in these circumstances. I think most of the deaths are the result of teens and young adults who think that nothing's going to happen to them and are willing to take the chance for a little "high". They likely don't even know what they're taking.

Wonder if anyone has ever considered setting up courses on how to "avoid" or better yet, "handle" peer pressure? If we maybe taught our kids how to handle that, maybe there'd be less dope/alcohol tragedy's, or is that wishful thinking?

JMO

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
See, that's what I love about CC - you learn new stuff almost every day whether you want to or not LOL.

I can understand (well maybe that's not the word) if someone needs or had a procedure and was prescribed medications for pain control and gets addicted. Machjo is right in that doctors need to take more of an interest in their patients post procedure and listen to what they're saying. (I think listening is becoming a lost art, personally).

But I'm thinking that a lot of these deaths aren't people who were in these circumstances. I think most of the deaths are the result of teens and young adults who think that nothing's going to happen to them and are willing to take the chance for a little "high". They likely don't even know what they're taking.

Wonder if anyone has ever considered setting up courses on how to "avoid" or better yet, "handle" peer pressure? If we maybe taught our kids how to handle that, maybe there'd be less dope/alcohol tragedy's, or is that wishful thinking?

JMO

Education to promote positive peer pressure might be a good thing.

Also, teaching kids about addiction. And not just addiction, but mental health too.

For example, someone who consumes alcohol regularly might not believe that some people can become alcoholic on a first glass due to mental health conditions, that no means no, if a person doesn't want to drink, he may have a damn good reason for it and it's not our business to judge, and maybe teach children indicators of addictive behaviour. Compulsive gambling, gaming, internet use. eating, even compulsive masturbation can all be indicative of underlying mental health problems that could make a person prone to addiction. In short, anything you do compulsively can indicate an addictive personality and other underlying mental health problems.

Do children know how to recognise compulsive behaviours? Do they know how to remedy such behaviours? Do they understand how compulsive behaviour of one kind can be indicative of susceptibility to other addictions? Etc.

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
these young fent-a-people better go to their uh, doctor if they're truly in that much pain...you know, get a prescription filled at shoppers but if the meatheads wanna hit the streets, we start thinning out the herd kids.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I can't imaging anyone willingly seeking out a tranquilizer on the streets, or
even wanting to be tranquilized.....but as I read the OP I was thinking of some
freak dropping an "elephant" tranquilizer in some girl's drink...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Addiction is a mental illness. It's not secondary.

Yes, addiction is a mental illness. However, other mental illnesses can make a person more susceptible to addiction too, just as one addiction can lead to the other. Like the smoker who quits but then turns to eating addiction for example.

That said, some addictions might be preferable to others. Eating addiction is probably far easier to fight than nicotine addiction. So a person who eats more due to nicotine withdrawal might not want to worry about that until he's fully free of nicotine, and then he could fight the eating addiction much more easily after that.

Then again, what made him turn to smoking in the first place? I know one person who'd started smoking as an adult right after a divorce. It had been such a shock to her she had also engaged in self harm stabbing herself shallowly with a knife so that the physical pain could driwn out the emotional. A smoking friend gave her cigarettes. Clearly a person in that mental state won't think much of the harms of smoking. Then she became addicted.

She probably never would have had it not been for her mental state at the time.

Si yes, addiction is a mental problem, but it's often indicative of another one lying beneath it.

I could imagine a teen trying to escape trauma turning to and getting addicted to drugs far more readily than most.

I as a teen was a loner for the most part, and maybe luckily so.

I can't imaging anyone willingly seeking out a tranquilizer on the streets, or
even wanting to be tranquilized.....but as I read the OP I was thinking of some
freak dropping an "elephant" tranquilizer in some girl's drink...

If they're addicted, their number one priority is to kill the withdrawals, even if it means killing themselves in the process.

Now I'm no fan if Mao Zedong. But you gotta hand it to him, his government had wiped out an opium epidemic within a generation.

It was simple really. The red army ordered all opium croos be destroyed. Then, all leaders of drug gangs were summarily executed. All front-line drug traffickers (usually addicts themselves) and all users given a quit or be executed ultimatum.

Now while we might disagree with his tactics, and while he ruined China's economy in many other ways, we gotta hand it to him. There's army had wiped what was the world's worst opium epidemic.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
these young fent-a-people better go to their uh, doctor if they're truly in that much pain...you know, get a prescription filled at shoppers but if the meatheads wanna hit the streets, we start thinning out the herd kids.

Fentanyl has reduced the social housing crisis in Metro Van by creating 385 opening so far this year and saved Govt half a million.