No real proof that flossing your teeth helps prevent gum disease

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
but consensus...studies, papers and 3 out of 4 dentists.

There’s no real proof that flossing your teeth helps prevent gum disease, according to a new study by the Associated Press.

The federal government has recommended using dental floss for more than 30 years and the guidelines are required to be based on scientific fact.

However, when the AP filed a request for the evidence used to issue the guidelines, the government “acknowledged the effectiveness of flossing had never been researched, as required.”

The AP looked at 25 studies that generally compared the effectiveness of brushing versus brushing and flossing.

“The evidence for flossing is ‘weak, very unreliable,’ of ‘very low’ quality, and carries ‘a moderate to large potential for bias,’” the AP reported.

Researchers found that companies that make dental floss paid for most of the studies and sometimes designed and conducted the research themselves.

The American Dental Association is standing by its recommendation to floss daily.

“Although recent news reports have questioned the benefits of cleaning between your teeth, using an interdental cleaner (like floss) is an essential part of taking care of your teeth and gums,” the organization stated on its website. “The American Dental Association recommends cleaning between your teeth once a day. This is important because plaque that is not removed by brushing and flossing can eventually harden into calculus or tartar. Flossing may also help prevent gum disease and cavities.”

However, researchers point out that the ADA makes money by offering dental floss manufacturers its Seal of Acceptance.

“The ADA promotes the seal to companies as something that ‘directly affects the purchase decisions of consumers,'” the AP researchers stated. “Each manufacturer is charged $14,500 for the evaluation. If it approves the product, the ADA then charges an additional annual fee of $3,500.”

Study: No real proof that flossing your teeth helps prevent gum disease | FOX31 Denver

#noflossy

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
A consensus has been reached 4 out of 5 say MentalFloss is a idiot. Let's start taxing stupidity to help influence him to lower his general retardation.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I would venture to guess that the Dental association knows the subject a lot better than does the Associate Press. Therefore, I am going to continue to use slide dental floss - works good for me. :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would venture to guess that the Dental association knows the subject a lot better than does the Associate Press. Therefore, I am going to continue to use slide dental floss - works good for me. :)

Who are they to say. Frebreeze started a sleep foundation claiming their night time scents made you sleep better through aroma therapy.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I wonder why my dentist continually insists on flossing if it doesn't work. In a follow up story it appears that the reason flossing may not be all it is cracked up to be is because most flossers don't do it properly.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Improper flossing has destroyed large swaths of the western world, the dental damage is uncalculable, Teeth are important, all the good stuff needs to be chewed.

Universal dental care, offer that and the planet is yours. Chew and live free.