Copy/paste

No matter what our kids and the new generation may think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME !!!
OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born
1925 - 1970 :

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered
with bright coloured lead-based paints

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,and, when we rode our bikes,
we had baseball caps not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight.

WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

--And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill,
only to find out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem..

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs,
no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS

and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and -although we were told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

We also could publicly express our belief in God and Our Lord Jesus without a challenge from someone who felt offended by it.

If YOU are one of those born between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I lived through all of that x10. What bothers me most is that the young could care less what we did for them, they merely take and assume it all came from thin air. They are not capable of recognizing the monstrous contribution that gave them their position.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If you were born in the 50s, you were likely to have parents born after 1925 that thought you were a lazy, satanic worshipper for listening to the Beatles.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Thought this was a good summary.

Copy/paste

No matter what our kids and the new generation may think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME !!!
OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born
1925 - 1970 :

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered
with bright coloured lead-based paints

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,and, when we rode our bikes,
we had baseball caps not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

And every word of it is true. I think the biggest downfall today is very few kids today know how to deal with disappointment, except for maybe shooting up a school or wiping out their family. :) :)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The first person who is on record as saying that kids today are stupid, lazy, and ungrateful was Socrates. Yet each generation plays the same old song. They work hard so their kids can have a better life than they had, then hate their kids for having it easy.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
JLM's class

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I still love some of his tunes but could never understand his appeal to women. Personally, I found him really creepy and could only listen to his songs on the radio or on records.
I don't know if there is a singer around today that will become a singing ledgened like Elvis??? Maybe they don't make em anymore??

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM's class

Yep, a lot closer resemblance to that than anything you see today! Especially in the primary grades. :)
:)

The desks were a little different.............they were on runners!

And we could spell pretty well every word in common use by the time we got to grade 4.

If kids these days are so awful, who made them that way?

Do you think it may be a matter of inaction rather than action? :)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was born in l938, was a teenager when elvis showed up, went to see him in l957, I loved what he looked
like, enjoyed his singing better as he got older, but always like it from the beginning.

most things said in the OP is true, but of course there were some things left out, kids smoked from a
very young age, we didn't have a clue about lung cancer linked to smoking, I quit the day after the
surgeon general made his announcement.
but what I can't understand today, knowing the hazards, many kids still smoke from a young age.

I grew up without tv till I was about 17, we listened to the radio, so we didn't sit around for
hours staring at a screen, just listened to the radio for certain programs, and hockey games on
the radio when I was a little girl, started listening when I was about 9 years old.

went to the movies on Saturday morning.

and alchohol was everywhere back then too, too many teen agers drinking and driving, much worse than now.
alchohol was a problem in society just as it is now, but we knew nothing of drugs, nothing at all.
when I was a teen ager, I remember a few people talking about cigarettes that were 'reefers', so
they had something in them that was illegal, don't really know to this day what it was, they said
you had to go across the line to get them, (Bellingham or Blaine)

the moms stayed home and and the dads went to work, didn't need day care, I also stayed home with my kids.
no one had my kids except me, or my mother, very rarely had to get a babysitter, and if I did, she was
someone I knew very well. my daughters say to this day that they loved coming home cause I was always
there, the house was alive and busy, no computers, no texting, they did play music, and lots of sports.
and they are all very good adults to this day, but I must add, parents can't afford to have only one
go to work now, society made sure that happened, people began to want too much, had to have more money,
had to have the big house that their friends had, more debt than anyone should ever have had, then day
care came along, more money going out, not one car but two or three, and on it goes. I'm sure glad I'm
not trying to get a job and buy a house now, can't be done without such big debt that it is scary.

I must add - no woman who stays home to raise her children has to feel less than equal to any man, it is
a contract by two people, one stays home to work, the other goes out to work, and they share the money,
and women can keep up with anything in politics or current events get more education (at home), and
always be aware of everything that's going on,and not be dependent, but quite independent.( contrary to how many think.)
too many women I knew back then,lived for their husbands, were too dependent on them, and also too obedient of
them, I guess it was' the way', before I became a wife, but was on its way out by then, ha maybe I
started it, lol.