The Greatest

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

pretty sure the dude didn't go to prison. he won an appeal.

I stand corrected. He was sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and stripped of his championship status and banned from boxing for four years. He won on appeal.

Quote:

he might have been a good boxer but the rest of his personal life seemed as much of a steve harvey dog's breakfast as most. multiple marriages, kids out of wedlock, money troubles, trying on different religions, sunni, sufism...not to mention his 10 years with those racist nation of islam bastards.

With greatness, and Ali was a great boxer, comes celebrity, with celebrity comes arrogance. He wasn't perfect, but find me an athlete or celebrity that is.

Another myth is that he became a Muslim after being drafted, he converted to Islam in 64 and was charged in 67.

Remington1
+1
A family man with a huge personality, a legend. That's how I saw the Great One. Rest in peace.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I stand corrected. He was sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and stripped of his championship status and banned from boxing for four years. He won on appeal.

With greatness, and Ali was a great boxer, comes celebrity, with celebrity comes arrogance. He wasn't perfect, but find me an athlete or celebrity that is.

Another myth is that he became a Muslim after being drafted, he converted to Islam in 64 and was charged in 67.

find me one human who is perfect, there are none, many just don't recognize their own imperfections, and if they
do, they think everyone elses are much worse.

just take notice of how 'so' many on this board trash each other, over and over, a constant
repetition of imperfections.

Mowich
+2

A belief that served him well throughout his life. Fare Thee Well Muhammad Ali.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

find me one human who is perfect, there are none, many just don't recognize their own imperfections, and if they
do, they think everyone elses are much worse.

just take notice of how 'so' many on this board trash each other, over and over, a constant
repetition of imperfections.

A lot of them thrive on it, both the giving and receiving!

Sometimes when people start being polite to each other, the friendship is diminished!

Johnnny
Rest in Peace...

Mowich
+4

“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?

No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would put my prestige in jeopardy and could cause me to lose millions of dollars which should accrue to me as the champion.

But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is right here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality…

If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.”

Muhammad Ali explains his refusal to fight in Vietnam (1967) (external - login to view)

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

How did he get that disease that messed up his co-ordination?

www.dementia.org/dementia-pugilistica (external - login to view)

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

How did he get that disease that messed up his co-ordination?

Is it something to do with a lack of El Dopa?

Curious Cdn
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Is it something to do with a lack of El Dopa?

It is a lot to do with the brain sloshing ... smashing into the back, then the front of the skull when you punch them in the face. It's not nearly as exotic or complex as unbalanced brain chemistry. It is bruising, scarring, dying of brain tissue that has hit a bone wall, over and over for year after year. This has been known about for a very long time.

This article about Ali's condition is three decades old but they've known about this since the 1920's.

articles.latimes.com/1987-07-...1_muhammad-ali (external - login to view)

lone wolf
True dat.... Punch drunk doesn't come from drinking....

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go ten thousand miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?
No, I am not going ten thousand miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would put my prestige in jeopardy and could cause me to lose millions of dollars which should accrue to me as the champion.
But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is right here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality…
If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. But I either have to obey the laws of the land or the laws of Allah. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail. We’ve been in jail for four hundred years.”
Muhammad Ali explains his refusal to fight in Vietnam (1967)

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
I guess if you don't agree with everything your government does you're un American. .

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I guess if you don't agree with everything your government does you're un American. .

I've known a couple of people who believed in the fight and went down to the US to enlist. I can't honestly tell them that they were wrong.

Locutus
fun fact: his great grandfather was Irish.

Locutus
good stuff but probably won't make the eulogy.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvHqiWFLsgVi4

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Such people have nothing to do with Christianity.

Except for being its leaders.

I have nothing but respect for the soldiers who fought there, but poor folk were used as fodder. The fact that draftees could get a pass if they were in college makes it all the more disgusting.

That particular draft was pretty honest. In the Civil War, if you were drafted, you could pay another man to go in your place. Later, you could just flat-out buy your way out. If I recollect right, the bill was $300.

As for the other hate blasts, don't pay 'em no mind, RCS. They don't care about the facts, they only care about the hate.

Locutus
he was initially refused because he was a tad simple but uncle sam lowered his draft standards to snag more guys like cassius.

JLM

he was initially refused because he was a tad simple but uncle sam lowered his draft standards to snag more guys like cassius.

Not as simple as some A$$holes I know!

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Except for being its leaders.

Sorry, but these people are in no way representative of Christians and of Christianity.

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Sorry, but these people are in no way representative of Christians and of Christianity.

I see many who represent saulianity but no one representative of Christianity. Maybe you can name a few.

You don't know Locust

Locutus
+1
Muhammad Ali saves man from suicide jump

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvSV75aFzC1aQ

gopher
it has been forgotten that his denouncement of the Nation of Islam and its demand for separatism helped undermine that group's influence in the inner cities

Mahan
I'll never forgot him when he was in court and shouted : " I'm Just MUHAMMAD ALI " . he was The myth of jealousy .

spaminator
Plaque honouring Muhammad Ali proposed for Ossington Ave. site
By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun
First posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 02:50 PM EDT
Councillor Mike Layton wants to install a tribute to Muhammad Ali’s time in Toronto.

Layton will ask council this week to create and install a plaque in Toronto to commemorate “The Greatest.”

Ali died last month at the age of 74 following a battle with Parkinson’s disease.

The proposed plaque and its future maintenance would cost around $6,500, according to Layton. It would be located at a site currently under development at 109 Ossington Ave. — the same place Ali trained before he famously fought Canadian heavyweight George Chuvalo in 1966.

“I think it’ll be a long time till we see someone with the same skill and the same charisma that we did in Muhammad Ali,” Layton said.

Ali also had a “significant anti-war message” during his career, he added.

He ended up fighting in Toronto that year because major American boxing centres turned him down based on his objection to the Vietnam war.

“Given Canada’s and Toronto’s historic position leaning on the side of peace over war, I think that it’s fitting that we can commemorate him in this way in Toronto,” said Layton.

The councillor said half the cost for the plaque would come from the city and the other half from the community that has raised funds through the site’s developer.

He doesn’t anticipate a fight over his motion on the council floor.

“This is the community celebrating their local heritage and it’s a fairly small sum of money,” he said.
Plaque honouring Muhammad Ali proposed for Ossington Ave. site | Toronto & GTA |

Ludlow
Ali was a great boxer. But considering all circumstances, I think James J. Braddock was the greatest heavy weight champion.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

Oh, you mean the guy that became a Muslim as soon as he was drafted? Odd, he tried to tell us that his religion forbade him fighting, does not seem to bother the other muzzies hmmmm.
He would not shoulder a rifle for his country but he would beat someones brains out in a heartbeat for money. Good on the dead azzhole.

No, no. He agreed to beat people up, just not to kill them.