What Happened To UI?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
All of this fuss about who gets UI, how much and where?
It seems to me that if you paid into UI you should be able to collect it when you need it. The amount you receive and how long you collect was determined by how much you had contributed and for how long.
Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to contribute to UI. It was just taken off my pay. I would be pretty angry if I was out of work and couldn't collect some.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The Harper Conservatives happened to UI and the Liberals need to restore it to what it was......

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
All of this fuss about who gets UI, how much and where?
It seems to me that if you paid into UI you should be able to collect it when you need it. The amount you receive and how long you collect was determined by how much you had contributed and for how long.
Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to contribute to UI. It was just taken off my pay. I would be pretty angry if I was out of work and couldn't collect some.

Everyone eligible for EI will be receiving money. The furor is about extensions to the length of time one can collect.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If you mean Employment Insurance the old name you're using hasn't been used for years now-an indicator of how out of touch you are.

There was a certain "1984ish" edge to that name change though, eh? Same old fund but now, the cup is half full! Have a nice day!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Indeed. It was a plan the insured you when you became unemployed and it still does.

I have always bristled at the name EI as disingenuous.

Premier Rachel Notley says the federal government's "arbitrary" boundaries that dictate which regions qualify for enhanced employment insurance benefits just don't add up, and Alberta will continue to fight for the program to be expanded.

The Liberal government picked 12 regions it said needed the most help, adding extra weeks of EI benefits for jobless workers in parts of Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, northern British Columbia, northern Manitoba, northern Ontario, northern Saskatchewan, Whitehorse and Nunavut.

"That doesn't make sense to us," said Notley, who called the boundaries that dictate which regions qualify under the program "particularly arbitrary."

She said if the federal government continues to suggest it will review the program every 12 months, "then that will be a very, very serious problem that you will hear a great deal more from us on."

Earlier this week, Alberta Finance Minister Joe Ceci also said the federal Liberals were wrong to exclude Edmonton, Leduc and Nisku from employment insurance changes.

"Everybody who drives up Highway 2 knows that Leduc and Nisku are prime oil sector communities and that those communities have been hard hit by the downturn," Ceci said. "So this is not the right decision, and we'll continue to press the federal government to reverse this decision as quickly as they possibly can.

Ceci accused the federal government of using old numbers when it made the decision to exclude Edmonton.

more

Premier Rachel Notley says changes to EI program don't add up - Edmonton - CBC News

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
If you mean Employment Insurance the old name you're using hasn't been used for years now-an indicator of how out of touch you are.

Damned right I'm 'out of touch' and I want to stay out of touch. I never want to accept the way government has become.
The old system worked. When government changes the name of something look out, they're making changes in their favor and pulling the wool over people's eyes by dressing it up with a new name.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Damned right I'm 'out of touch' and I want to stay out of touch. I never want to accept the way government has become.
The old system worked. When government changes the name of something look out, they're making changes in their favor and pulling the wool over people's eyes by dressing it up with a new name.

Right on DM

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Coming from you. Davesmom has done nothing wrong in asking a question, you need to back down

It shows that davesmom doesn't have a clue. Especially, since no one is being refused EI that has paid into it.

smallandmighty

Nominee Member
May 12, 2013
108 Mile Ranch BC
no just shows that he has not ever used it, or has not for a long time. He is not out of touch...lol. What is out of touch is how they govern this benefit. First it is not a benefit, it is like pension, you paid into it, you are entitled to when you need it...even if you get fired, it should be there for you to use. Why should we have to jump through hurdles to get it? Also why is it so hard for Canadians to get what they are entitled to..and some parasites can come to this country and get all that we worked for?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
no just shows that he has not ever used it, or has not for a long time. He is not out of touch...lol. What is out of touch is how they govern this benefit. First it is not a benefit, it is like pension, you paid into it, you are entitled to when you need it...even if you get fired, it should be there for you to use. Why should we have to jump through hurdles to get it? Also why is it so hard for Canadians to get what they are entitled to..and some parasites can come to this country and get all that we worked for?

You do realize that the employee is not the only one that pays into EI, right? You already know that employers pay 1.4 times what employees pay, right? Therefore rules are implemented to ensure that the system is not taken advantage of. Like idiots quitting their job so they can collect EI.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The U.I.C. Ski Team was famous every winter back in the 1970s when the scheme was first started.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

For your information it was the Liberals that made the changes not the Conservatives, but that's neither here nor there and doesn't matter when you're jobless..

Did you know that how much EI you collected depends on where you live as well? My understanding was that I would collect 57% of my net wage while in other areas I would collect 60%. I'm wondering now if that % has changed at all. Anyone know?

Dixie

It shows that davesmom doesn't have a clue. Especially, since no one is being refused EI that has paid into it.

Okaaaay - that's not true either. You can't collect if you haven't been employed for x # of weeks even if you did pay into it. There are
certain criteria. But, for the most part, you are correct if you've worked a year or more, you should be able to collect. However, if you've quit your job - good luck! Likely won't see a cent.

I've had my issues with EI (years ago) and stating that there definitely can be improvements to the program is an understatement. It would have been nice if the Liberals hadn't taken a whole wack of $$ (millions in so-called "excess" contributions) out of the EI system and put those funds into general revenues as they did years ago - then we wouldn't have any issue in supporting those that need it now.

JMHO.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The Harper Conservatives happened to UI and the Liberals need to restore it to what it was......

Excuse me? The erosion of Unemployment Insurance which was renamed Employment Insurance began eroding when Paul Martin, under Jean Chretien raided it as general revenue and then made significant cuts in the midst of all those wonderful years when he kept balancing the budget.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You do get UI if you paid into it as long as you qualify under the rules.
There are rules and always have been. My understanding of the
current situation is due to a downturn there are some areas of the
country that will qualify for a little extra to get through the current down
turn.
This idea that everyone is being deprived of something is an opinion
nothing more people are still getting paid even if they are not in the
special zone where they are getting a little extra. This is in areas like
Calgary where oil is the driver, Edmonton is feeling the effects but is
more diversified economically and better equipped to handle life as it
were. The real question is not EI its where were city officials when it
came to attracting various business ventures for diversification before
the roof fell in.
Alberta is part of its own problem elected officials had forty four years to
prepare for this and didn't. Secondly didn't anyone save anything making
the kind of money they were? No seems to be the answer people never
thought it would happen the gravy train would roll on and it never does.