Alberta Toddler's Death Shows Danger Of Unproven Remedies

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

An Alberta toddler's death from meningitis is prompting health-care professionals to sound off on the danger of unproven, alternative medicine.
David and Collet Stephan pleaded not guilty in early March for failing to provide the necessities of life for their 19-month-old son.
Initially, the Stephans thought their son had croup, and treated him with natural remedies including ginger root, horseradish and onion.
A family friend and registered nurse testified Wednesday that she told Ezekiel's mother he may have viral meningitis.

"I think you should take him to see a doctor," she testified as having said on March 11, 2012.
Instead, the couple decided to take him to a naturopath. Ezekiel's body was so stiff from illness he couldn't sit in his car seat, and had to lie on the floor of his parents' car as they drove to pick up echinacea for him.

They did not call 911 until Ezekiel had stopped breathing. He died a few days later from a combination of bacterial meningitis and a lung infection.
Was Ezekiel's death unnecessary?
Medical ethicist Arthur Caplan believes Ezekiel suffered unnecessarily for his parents' beliefs.
"When you have a little kid who is sick, seriously sick, and a nurse tells you that it might be meningitis and you continue to pursue interventions that clearly aren’t working, you’ve got to bring that kid into a mainstream health facility," Caplan told The National Post.
David Stephan, Ezekiel's father, is an employee of Truehope Nutritional Support, a supplement company run out of Raymond, Alta. He's also the son of the company's co-founder, Anthony Stephan.
Truehope: controversial alternative medicine
Health Canada has issued warnings against Truehope a number of times for claims that its supplement, EMPowerplus, can treat bipolar disorder and other mental illnesses.
In 2011, Truehope was highly criticized after a Vancouver man killed his father and attempted to kill his mother while taking EMPowerplus vitamins instead of his prescribed anti-psychotic medication.
The company's website still suggests patients with mental illness use its supplements to transition off of psychiatric medications.
Prosecutors at the Stephans' trial claimed that Ezekiel was also treated with EMPowerplus before his death, according to CBC.
Alternative medicine no replacement for the real thing
One natural health practitioner in Edmonton says serious illnesses like meningitis need be treated by someone with actual medical training.
“When it is an acute disease of any sort, I do send them to the hospital,” Dr. Harbakhash Sandhar, a practicing homeopath and medical doctor by training, told Metro News.
Sandhar said cases like Ezekiels make him worry about "Mickey Mouse homeopaths."
The Crown is not arguing that the Stephans didn't love or care for their son, but that they should have sought medical help for him much sooner, according to CBC News.
Section 215 of Canada's criminal code states that parents have a duty to provide necessities of life to their children, which includes medical care.
The Stephans are currently calling for donations on their Facebook page to help fund their court case. The pair have posted arguments that "the government" and "vaccine industry" are trying to "attack" their family in favour of a "vaccine agenda."

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
My first reaction to this sad tale is the kids name was Ezekiel. That sounds very wavy and reading about them confirms that thought.

These parents are insufferable. The father works at said nutritional supplements company and obviously believes in the program.

The Nurse warned them yet they ignored her advice because they have supposedly had a negative experience with the 'medical system'.

For the safety of any future children these two may have they must be dealt a severe sentence and re-programming and hopeful they will understand that there is value in 'regular' medical help.

The family has posted on social media that they feel they are being unfairly persecuted and that their approach to health should be respected

David Stephan works at a nutritional supplements company called Truehope Nutritional Support Inc. out of Raymond, Alta.

Parents of toddler who died of meningitis used home remedies rather than consult doctor, court hears - Calgary - CBC News

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They should both be snipped so they can't have any more kids and refused any medical care for life.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
My ex wife would take the girls to the doctor if they had a hang nail. I use to get frustrated over it but came to believe that even though she may have gone to extremes sometimes the old adage "better safe than sorry" is a good philosophy when it comes to the kids. Have no tolerance for know it all azzholes who are so fukking mule headed in their warped way of thinking that they let their innocent children suffer because of their retardation. They need to be in jail.

Incidentally put a beard on the woman and they would be twins.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
They are not criminals, just very mis-informed and not too smart. Everybody eff's up, just a severe consequence in this case.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You would think his co-workers would have clued him in. Best medical care means just that, however, what do you do when they are closed or full or the meds are not available, do sites like this offer solutions that work? I would be more than tempted to try something rather than try nothing at all.

Ailments from A-Z

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

An Alberta toddler's death from meningitis is prompting health-care professionals to sound off on the danger of unproven, alternative medicine.
David and Collet Stephan pleaded not guilty in early March for failing to provide the necessities of life for their 19-month-old son.
Initially, the Stephans thought their son had croup, and treated him with natural remedies including ginger root, horseradish and onion.
A family friend and registered nurse testified Wednesday that she told Ezekiel's mother he may have viral meningitis.

Anyone who would even entertain the thought of treating his/her child with a home remedy after being told by a professional that meningitis could be a diagnosis is totally ignorant on matters pertaining to health and should be criminally charged, if they persist in that line of treatment..........................Imbeciles!!

They are not criminals, just very mis-informed and not too smart. Everybody eff's up, just a severe consequence in this case.

Not too smart is a gross understatement. Who but a slobbering moron would not take his/her child to a doctor AFTER being advised by a professional that a likely diagnosis or even vaguely possible diagnosis is meningitis?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
That's sad.

On a more positive note, I am thankful that most people will acknowledge their GP's recommendations.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Many people are influenced by fake and pseudo medics. They fall for the 'never trust a pharmaceutical' (cuz nothing beats a good conspiracy) and instead get their advice from people like Kevin Trudeau.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
My first reaction to this sad tale is the kid's name was Ezekiel.
Just like BHO's name.

That's sad.

On a more positive note, I am thankful that most people will acknowledge their GP's recommendations.
Cuz GP's are never wrong.

Many people are influenced by fake and pseudo medics. They fall for the 'never trust a pharmaceutical' (cuz nothing beats a good conspiracy) and instead get their advice from people like Kevin Trudeau.
Or Justine, Kevin's brother.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
This story has raised several questions for me.
Would the parents been charged if the nurse had not stated her opinion.
If Truehope had been warned and not changed it's practices, why hadn't the government shut them down.
And the big one. I do not understand why people are allowed to depend on homeopathy and naturopathy for healing (willing to bet this isn't the only child that has died from reliance on this crap) but if a family depends on faith healing they are hauled off to court right away( ie) JW, Christian Science.
That with it being more likely that they will die "because" of the hospital.
Doctors should be held, publically responsible, for the deaths they cause.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We could always cut the old people off and some of them would be the lab rats to see if the alternative works, like CS and Ozone treatments since you make it at the kitchen table. I'm pretty sure I might at least do some reading at a place like this.
Perhaps a family Dr should be part of the tax rebate for kids conditions. Since it is a Christian sect all they should have to do is say, 'Sorry God' and I'm not so sure the parents wouldn't opt for life by seeing a Dr should they get deathly ill.

Doctors should be held, publically responsible, for the deaths they cause.
How about we get the ones that let 25,000 (minority) children die per day first then your task might get the right guys.

Folk Remedies from Earth Clinic

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
My father contracted Meningitis at a young age and was put in jail because the Police thought he was drunk. He almost died. My cousin Jeffrey's little girl became infected with the disease and it did take her life. When a child shows signs of sickness regardless of how harmless it may seem, they need to go to see their doctor. Period.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Anyone who would even entertain the thought of treating his/her child with a home remedy after being told by a professional that meningitis could be a diagnosis is totally ignorant on matters pertaining to health and should be criminally charged, if they persist in that line of treatment..........................Imbeciles!!

Not too smart is a gross understatement. Who but a slobbering moron would not take his/her child to a doctor AFTER being advised by a professional that a likely diagnosis or even vaguely possible diagnosis is meningitis?
Various religious idiots.

I'm no whack nut homeopath but I still want as little to do with the pharmaceutical industry as possible. I even use alternative medicine to help with pain relief and management, but when there's something seriously wrong with me or my wife, or son, it's time to see an actual medical professional.