Cool, Compassionate, and Just Plain Nice Cop Thread

Tecumsehsbones
+3
#1  Top Rated Post
Fair's fair, enit?

Two-year-old calls 911 with wardrobe emergency, kindly deputy helps her put her pants on

By Sarah Kaplan March 4

Look, getting dressed is hard.

There are the “nothing in my closet looks good” mornings. The “it’s freezing outside but my office is a sauna and I don’t know which climate to dress for” mornings. The “I’ve been putting off going to the laundromat for weeks and now all I have to wear to work is this free t-shirt I got at a walk-a-thon in college” mornings.

And, you know, maybe not all of us have had a “I can’t get my pants on and could use some professional assistance” morning. But in that situation, who among us wouldn’t do the same thing that 2-year-old Aaliyah from South Carolina did, and dial 911?

A wardrobe malfunction is an emergency, folks.

The call to the Greenville County emergency dispatcher’s office came on Wednesday, local TV station WHNS reported.

“Hello. Greenville County, 911″ the dispatcher said, succinctly.

“Hello?” came the almost incoherent reply.

The dispatcher repeated himself. But all he got was a toddler’s muffled babbling.

It sounded like a joke call, sheriff’s deputy Martha Lohnes told WSPA, but the dispatcher reached out to the sheriff’s department just to be sure. Lohnes was in the neighborhood nearby, so she headed to the house to investigate.

Aaliyah’s grandfather answered the door, completely bewildered. He’d had no clue that the little girl had called anyone, let alone the police.

Then, Aaliya “comes running out to the front with half a pant leg on and she’s just like ‘Hey!'” Lohnes recalled.

The deputy has two little sisters of her own, so she understood the gravity of the situation. She sat the little girl down on the stairs and helped her get her other leg into pants. Then, because a cop’s work is never done, she helped tie Aliyah’s shoes.

As a “reward,” Lohnes said, the toddler gave her a hug.

“It was the highlight of my day and I loved it,” the deputy told WHNS.

More at link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory (external - login to view)

Frankiedoodle
With all the terrible stories about cops that end up getting arrested and such, thanks for the nice story.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by FrankiedoodleView Post

With all the terrible stories about cops that end up getting arrested and such, thanks for the nice story.

That's why I started the thread. Anybody can tell you I'm real hard on abusive or violent cops. So, like I said, fair's fair. Gotta recognize the good ones, too.

EagleSmack
+2
Now go home and get your shine box!

Sons of Liberty
Made me smile, Thank you Bones.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Now go home and get your shine box!

Wow, your butt must really be hurt.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Wow, your butt must really be hurt.

For what?

You don't like my Billy Batts (Goodfellas) impression?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

For what?

You don't like my Billy Batts (Goodfellas) impression?

Oops, totally missed it! Boy is my face red (ha ha).

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Oops, totally missed it! Boy is my face red (ha ha).

You went all Tommy DiSimone on me.

"You know there's a lot of people round here."

Tecumsehsbones
Big Joe!

(OK, not-so-Big Joe.)

Dixie Cup
awwww, what a cute story. Cops do a lot of this stuff each and every day and no one hears any of it. It's when one finally makes the news.

Thanks for making my day!

Johnnny
+1
Cops aren't honestly that bad, yea there are bad ones but the majority of them actually are quite fair.

grumpydigger
I have no problem with at topic like this.

What I have a problem with , is when one of these so-called good cops witness a blatant act of misconduct or criminal activity committed by one of their sacred community they suddenly become blind and refused to act on it.

Propaganda pieces that are designed to make us all feel warm and fuzzy do not remove a similar act of misconduct.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Cops aren't honestly that bad, yea there are bad ones but the majority of them actually are quite fair.

"Cops," as a class, aren't anything. Some are out-and-out murderers and rapists, some are violent, some are racist, some are abusive, some violate people's rights, some are decent, some are kind, some are noble, some are heroic. Some are several of these things.

spaminator
Caring cop's good deeds get notice
Former social worker feeds diabetic homeless man

By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 08:58 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, March 03, 2016 09:13 PM EST
TORONTO - When they first opened the e-mail at police headquarters, they were bracing themselves for a public complaint about one of their officers.
But this e-mail wasn’t a complaint — it was a much-deserved pat on the back.
“I saw an officer see a homeless man outside the Tim Hortons and he quickly pulled over to talk to the man,” the resident wrote. “The officer brought the man inside and bought him some food. Officers who go out of their way to ensure all citizens are okay renew my faith in the police.”
If it had been something negative, they would have tried to find the officer, so it made sense to track down this one who was so compassionate.
After digging, they learned it was 51 Division Const. Ed Parks, 47, who has an incredible life story. He was a social worker for 20 years before he joined the Toronto Police at 38. He put in years at Covenant House, where he described being mentored by veteran coppers like Insp. Sonia Thomas and retired detective sergeant Dickie Neeson.
“From them I learned about community policing and now I can say wearing this uniform is the greatest job in the world because I get to engage people and help them,” he said.
Originally from Michigan, where he earned a degree in psychology, Parks at 15 experienced the horror of losing his 22-year-old brother who was stabbed to death. He knows pain and wants to help people avoid it.
The husband of Barb and proud father of “great kids” Ileyah, 14, Jadyn, 10, and Ethan, 8, says every day is a gift.
Sometimes he hands them out, too.
This story goes back to a cold day in February when the 51 Division officer noticed something unusual at the corner of Richmond and Sherbourne.
“I saw a man walking across the traffic and through the red light,” Parks said. “I was kind of worried about him.”
Parks pulled over his squad car and took a closer look. He noticed it was a homeless man known as Cleo, who often panhandles in the neighbourhood.
“He’s a passive person and I could tell something was wrong,” he said. “I asked him if he was OK, but he was just mumbling and could barely answer. I thought for sure this was going to be a medical call.”
Cleo managed to tell him he has diabetes.
“I was able to determine his sugar levels were off and he told me he had not eaten anything,” Parks said.
The veteran copper quickly brought him inside the Tim Hortons, where he ordered a coffee and a peanut butter cookie.
Then, at Cleo’s request, a pulled pork sandwich.
It was a tasty choice and, more importantly, Cleo was feeling better within minutes. The solid meal was what he needed. All in a day’s work for Parks, who paid for another man’s lunch late Thursday as well, as photographer Dave Thomas and I witnessed.
The last time, somebody wrote in about it.
“We really appreciate it when the public takes the time to send us feedback,” Chief Mark Saunders said. “It is letters like this that remind us we have the public’s support and it inspires our members to continue doing what they do every single day.”
Said 51 Division’s Insp. David Rydzik: “I try and make it a point each and every day to say thank you to my officers for the great work they do. I know they appreciate the positive feedback coming from me, but when that positive feedback, or thank you, comes unsolicited from a member of the public it just means so much more to them.”
Parks said the important thing is Cleo is OK.
“All of my fellow officers do things like that,” Parks said. “It’s just what we do. We get to know people and we want to help them.”
This time, the public has heard about it.
jwarmington@postmedia.com (external - login to view)
Toronto Police Const. Ed Parks poses with Cleo after he helped him with a meal at Tim Hortons. (Twitter)

Caring cop's good deeds get notice | Warmington | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto

Tecumsehsbones
The cop was able to spot a diabetic problem? Now THAT'S impressive!

Good cop. Have a donut.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydiggerView Post

I have no problem with at topic like this.

Well that's not quite true, now is it?

Quote:

What I have a problem with , is when one of these so-called good cops

Seems you do indeed have a problem with acknowledging even the remote possibility that anything even remotely good, kind or benevolent can be committed by a group for whom you personally have demonstrated having an extreme bias against.

Quote:

Propaganda pieces that are designed to make us all feel warm and fuzzy do not remove a similar act of misconduct.

Setting aside the "propaganda" judgement just for a moment (I know, I know, you have no problem with a topic like this) but setting that aside it also stands to reason that an act of misconduct should not diminish an act of good. Particularly when the good works far exceed the number of acts of bad conduct. (And before anyone suggests that is not the case, I propose that, were the opposite indeed true, society would be a hell of lot worse off than it is. We do not live in a police state.)

I've never seen anybody, myself included, out right state or even imply that a singular act of kindness completely negates any of the horrific things that have occurred. But if your basis of judgement is "how someone acts", then judge them on how they act not on how others have acted.

spaminator
Cops care for abandoned goldfish while awaiting its owner
The Associated Press
First posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 11:47 AM EST | Updated: Monday, March 07, 2016 11:56 AM EST
HELSINKI -- Norwegian police have bigger fish to fry so they've allowed a fellow officer to take home a goldfish that had been waiting for its rightful owner in a jam jar at the local police station.
Bodo Police spokesman Tommy Bech says investigators "were very close to solving" the case of the lost goldfish, found abandoned Saturday in a shopping bag at a soccer stadium in the northwestern town.
Officers had felt it their duty to look after the fish until the owner was found, Bech said Monday. He said the fish had been "well looked after."
Bech said that Bodo police were now focusing on other issues and declined to give further details about the goldfish.
In this photo provided by the Norwegian police, a goldfish swims inside a jar, at the police station in Bodo, northern Norway, Sunday, March 6, 2016. Police in the northwestern town of Bodo are holding a lost goldfish in a jam jar hoping to find its rightful owner, according to Norwegian news agency NTB. (Norwegian Police/NTB scanpix via AP)

Cops care for abandoned goldfish while awaiting its owner | World | News | Toron

spaminator
If you're missing a teddy bear? Toronto Police might have it
SUN STAFF
First posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:44 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:51 PM EDT
Toronto Police are trying to reunite a lost teddy bear with its owner.
Around 1 a.m. Wednesday, the police operations Twitter account posted a photo of a Butterscotch Gund bear found by an officer near Ellesmere Rd. and Morningside Ave.
A few hours later, Const. Clint Stibbe tweeted a pic of “Constable in Training PC Bear” buckled up in the front seat of a police cruiser and on his way to an interview on morning TV.
So far, police have yet to find the bear’s owner.
A lost teddy bear found by Toronto Police early Wednesday morning. (Handout photo from TPS operations Twitter account)

If you're missing a teddy bear? Toronto Police might have it | Toronto & GTA | N

spaminator
+2
Officer rescues deer that had its head caught in light globe
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 05:36 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, May 05, 2016 05:42 PM EDT
CENTEREACH, N.Y. -- It was a deer caught in the ... light globe.
Authorities say a police officer has come to the aid of a wild deer whose head was stuck inside a light globe in a wooded area of suburban New York.
The state Department of Environmental Conservation says one of its officers spotted the deer Tuesday in the woods in Centereach, 45 miles east of New York City. Environmental conservation officials believe the deer had been lying there since Monday night.
Officer Jeff Hull approached the deer and tried to remove the globe. But it slipped out of his hands and the deer ran off.
Hull approached a second time and tossed his coat over the light globe. As the deer pulled back, the globe came free.
In this May 3, 2016 photo provided by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, a deer with its head caught in the globe from a lighting fixture over its head stands in the woods in Centereach, N.Y. (New York State Department of Environmental Conservation via AP)

Officer rescues deer that had its head caught in light globe | Weird | News | To

spaminator
Video: Mama goose gets police to help free baby gosling
When a pair of Ohio police officers heard a goose pecking at the car door, they knew something was wrong. They followed the mama goose who led them to one of her goslings that had been tangled in string.
May 11, 2016, 9:26 AM
Video: Mama goose gets police to help free baby gosling
(external - login to view)

Remington1
We are fortunate to have police officers. Like any other professions there are some bad cops, but the largest majority are good and without their protection, it would be a sad world, where rape, robbery and murdered, etc.. would be rampant.

Dixie Cup
+2
I agree Remington - While my contact with cops has been limited, I've never had an issue with them at all. They've all treated me respectfully. I suspect that people who have issues with cops likely are individuals who, themselves, have "issues". Cops are people too and there are mostly good ones (not unlike civilians) there may be a few bad ones as well. It's the bad ones that get the attention - again, not unlike regular civilians.

Robbery, murder, B&E's - or someone giving someone a helping hand - which one gets on the news? Same as with cops. It ain't a job for everyone and I admire and respect those who do it and do it well.

JMHO

spaminator
'Superman' cop pushes car out of intersection

First posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 09:26 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, May 19, 2016 07:45 AM EDT
The officer kept pushing and pushing and pushing.

There will be no denying it. It was all caught on video.

Yes, that was a police officer manhandling a disabled car in the middle of an intersection through moving traffic and getting a stranded woman to safety.

This video is already a classic on social media and out in Peel Regional Police’s 12 Division.

“The guy is a super hero,” teased Staff Sgt. Greg Amoroso. “Maybe Denzel Washington will have to play him in the movie.”

Who the heck was that mystery cop?

They certainly knew who he was in at the division at Dixie and Eglinton. And man did they tease Const. Brian Mortotsi when he arrived for parade Wednesday. First there was applause and then came the jokes.

“Here comes Superman,” teased his fellow officers. “The only thing missing is his cape.”

It was some pretty special police work. But for Mortotsi — an officer for almost three years and the proud son of a “wonderful” mother and father who came here from Ghana before he was born — it was just one of dozens of calls he responded to Tuesday.

“The call was a driver was stranded in the intersection at Cawthra Rd. and Eastgate Parkway and when I got there I could see it was stuck in a very tough spot,” said Mortotsi.

In fact at first there were so many cars flying by he couldn’t get his police cruiser out there to help. He did manage to get out into the middle of the intersection and shield the car from one side and after throwing on the police lights jumped out to help the driver.

“She was distraught,” he said.

The car was out of gas and with a terrified driver and trucks flying by almost clipping him, Mortotsi was running out of options.

“I knew I had to get her out of there,” he said. “I looked at the car and I thought the only thing I can do is push it.”

Even he laughed as he recalled the moment.

“It was heavy no question,” said Mortotsi with a chuckle.

That Ford car was no match for the Peel copper. It brings a brand new meaning to strength in policing. If he looked like a football player, there is a reason.

“I play receiver in flag football,” said the married father of a toddler. “But when I played back in high school for Clarkson I was a running back.”

He looked like an offensive guard in this video who picked up a fumble and scored a touchdown. The only thing he didn’t do was spike the car.

A neat part of the story is his police work was not yet done. He found out the woman behind the wheel had a licence under medical suspension.

“She was a nice person and just grateful that she got out of there,” said Mortotsi. “The important thing is she is safe.”

He had no idea any of it was caught on a dash cam of a car at the light.

“I got a call from my sergeant saying I was in a video all over YouTube.”

The first thing he thought was “uh oh, I didn’t have my hat on.”

“I think we will let that slide,” teased Amoroso.

“Mortotsi, Mortotsi, Mortotsi,” his good hearted pals chanted as they enjoyed the moment.

But they did want to put the new super cop to a special divisional test to make sure it wasn’t just a fluke. So a bunch of them piled on a cruiser and put it in neutral to see if Const. Mortotsi is as strong as the video shows.

Poor Brian was a good sport and got behind the car and gave it a shot. Piece of cake. He moved it and there is more video evidence.

“I couldn’t do that now, ten years ago or even 30 years ago,” said an impressed Acting Staff Supt. Rob Ryan, who heads the division. “Long before this, Mortotsi impressed his supervisors and peers. He’s an outstanding officer.”

And they don’t even have to put gas in his cruiser anymore since he can just push it himself.

wwwyoutubecomwatchvBv4lNA67pbk

'Superman' cop pushes car out of intersection | Warmington | Toronto & GTA | New

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Caring cop's good deeds get notice
Former social worker feeds diabetic homeless man

First posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 08:58 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, March 03, 2016 09:13 PM EST
TORONTO - When they first opened the e-mail at police headquarters, they were bracing themselves for a public complaint about one of their officers.
But this e-mail wasn’t a complaint — it was a much-deserved pat on the back.
“I saw an officer see a homeless man outside the Tim Hortons and he quickly pulled over to talk to the man,” the...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
homeless peeps know all the shizzle goin down on the street
gotta love the idea of feeding a diabetic a donut though:
feed a man a donut, and you feed him for a day
feed a diabetic a pile of timmie's sugar
and you may just have fed him for life

personal touch
Tears rolling down my cheeks,good news is good news.
Excuse me while I grab a tissue.

spaminator
+1
Everything is just ducky in Brampton
Quack-thinking cops and citizens save family of ducks

By Chris Doucette, Toronto Sun
First posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 04:51 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, May 21, 2016 04:56 PM EDT
It was a potentially fowl situation as a mother mallard and her ducklings scurried beneath a car at a busy Brampton intersection to hide from a hungry hawk Saturday morning.

But some quack-thinking cops and citizens worked together to save the family of ducks.

“It was certainly an unusual situation,” Peel Regional Police Const. Rachel Gibbs said following the heartwarming rescue.

She said a motorist was turning left from Peel Centre Dr. onto Team Canada Dr., near the Bramalea City Centre, shortly after 9:30 a.m. when the ducklings and their mom suddenly darted out onto the street and took refuge under her vehicle.

The motorist was forced to stop in the middle of the intersection to avoid hurting the family of ducks.

Gibbs said officers at a nearby police station noticed the commotion and rushed over to help.

“It was one of the officers who noticed the hawk,” she said, explaining the bird of prey was perched atop a nearby light standard.

Saving the brood was challenging and the officers had to wing it.

With help from citizens, they used a blanket to “shield” the ducks and keep them in place while the woman pulled her car forward, Gibbs said.

The ducklings were then corralled into a cardboard box and driven, along with their mom, to Norton Place Park, which is nearly 2 km away and has a pond for the flock to swim in.

“This could have been an unsafe situation for the ducks and for motorists,” Gibbs said. “But by working together we ensured everyone was kept safe.”

cdoucette@postmedia.com (external - login to view)
Quick-thinking cops and citizens rushed to the to rescue when some ducklings and their mother took cover from a hungry hawk under a vehicle at a busy Brampton intersection Saturday. The ducklings, seen here with Const. Joel Mazzotto, were corralled into a box and later set free in a park. PHOTO TWEETED BY PEEL REGIONAL POLICE

Everything is just ducky in Brampton | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Locutus

just a Halifax cop checking in on one of the locals.

https://www.facebook.com/bbaurin/pos...54871893407306 (external - login to view)

spaminator
Trapped baby moose freed by police gets a ride-along in wildlife vehicle
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 11:11 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 11:24 AM EDT
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- Wildlife officers had an unusual ride-along in one of their trucks after finding a baby moose under a stairwell in St. John's, N.L.
The animal became trapped in an outdoor porch stairwell of a home in the city's east end after getting separated from its mother.
Wildlife officers removed the moose, but police say he was too small to ride in the bed of their truck.
So, he hopped into the back seat.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary joked on Twitter that officers caught the "little fella trying to break into an east end home" and then placed him in the car where "this babe is riding shotgun (well not quite)."
Police posted pictures of the moose in the stairwell and curled up at the officer's feet in the wildlife truck, adding that the animal's mother was not be found.

Trapped baby moose freed by police gets a ride-along in wildlife vehicle | Canad

spaminator
'Thank you for your support'; Police buy meal for couple who didn't want to sit near them
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 01:18 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 01:43 PM EDT
HOMESTEAD, Pa. -- A group of police officers have picked up the check for a couple who didn't want to sit near them at a Pennsylvania restaurant.
A server at the Eat'n Park restaurant in the borough of Homestead tells Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV that the couple wanted another table after being brought to a table near the officers Saturday. Officer Chuck Thomas says he told the man and woman that it was OK to sit near his group and that "we won't hurt you." After the couple walked away, he says he and another officer thought they should pay their bill.
The officers wrote on the bill, "thank you for your support."
Thomas says the gesture was part of an effort to create "a better relationship between the community and police."
'Thank you for your support'; Police buy meal for couple who didn't want to sit