Cool, Compassionate, and Just Plain Nice Cop Thread

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Fair's fair, enit?

Two-year-old calls 911 with wardrobe emergency, kindly deputy helps her put her pants on

By Sarah Kaplan March 4

Look, getting dressed is hard.

There are the “nothing in my closet looks good” mornings. The “it’s freezing outside but my office is a sauna and I don’t know which climate to dress for” mornings. The “I’ve been putting off going to the laundromat for weeks and now all I have to wear to work is this free t-shirt I got at a walk-a-thon in college” mornings.

And, you know, maybe not all of us have had a “I can’t get my pants on and could use some professional assistance” morning. But in that situation, who among us wouldn’t do the same thing that 2-year-old Aaliyah from South Carolina did, and dial 911?

A wardrobe malfunction is an emergency, folks.

The call to the Greenville County emergency dispatcher’s office came on Wednesday, local TV station WHNS reported.

“Hello. Greenville County, 911″ the dispatcher said, succinctly.

“Hello?” came the almost incoherent reply.

The dispatcher repeated himself. But all he got was a toddler’s muffled babbling.

It sounded like a joke call, sheriff’s deputy Martha Lohnes told WSPA, but the dispatcher reached out to the sheriff’s department just to be sure. Lohnes was in the neighborhood nearby, so she headed to the house to investigate.

Aaliyah’s grandfather answered the door, completely bewildered. He’d had no clue that the little girl had called anyone, let alone the police.

Then, Aaliya “comes running out to the front with half a pant leg on and she’s just like ‘Hey!'” Lohnes recalled.

The deputy has two little sisters of her own, so she understood the gravity of the situation. She sat the little girl down on the stairs and helped her get her other leg into pants. Then, because a cop’s work is never done, she helped tie Aliyah’s shoes.

As a “reward,” Lohnes said, the toddler gave her a hug.

“It was the highlight of my day and I loved it,” the deputy told WHNS.

More at link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._morning-mix-story-c-duplicate:homepage/story

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oops, totally missed it! Boy is my face red (ha ha).

You went all Tommy DiSimone on me.

"You know there's a lot of people round here."

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
awwww, what a cute story. Cops do a lot of this stuff each and every day and no one hears any of it. It's when one finally makes the news.

Thanks for making my day!

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
I have no problem with at topic like this.

What I have a problem with , is when one of these so-called good cops witness a blatant act of misconduct or criminal activity committed by one of their sacred community they suddenly become blind and refused to act on it.

Propaganda pieces that are designed to make us all feel warm and fuzzy do not remove a similar act of misconduct.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Cops aren't honestly that bad, yea there are bad ones but the majority of them actually are quite fair.
"Cops," as a class, aren't anything. Some are out-and-out murderers and rapists, some are violent, some are racist, some are abusive, some violate people's rights, some are decent, some are kind, some are noble, some are heroic. Some are several of these things.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Caring cop's good deeds get notice
Former social worker feeds diabetic homeless man

By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Thursday, March 03, 2016 08:58 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, March 03, 2016 09:13 PM EST
TORONTO - When they first opened the e-mail at police headquarters, they were bracing themselves for a public complaint about one of their officers.
But this e-mail wasn’t a complaint — it was a much-deserved pat on the back.
“I saw an officer see a homeless man outside the Tim Hortons and he quickly pulled over to talk to the man,” the resident wrote. “The officer brought the man inside and bought him some food. Officers who go out of their way to ensure all citizens are okay renew my faith in the police.”
If it had been something negative, they would have tried to find the officer, so it made sense to track down this one who was so compassionate.
After digging, they learned it was 51 Division Const. Ed Parks, 47, who has an incredible life story. He was a social worker for 20 years before he joined the Toronto Police at 38. He put in years at Covenant House, where he described being mentored by veteran coppers like Insp. Sonia Thomas and retired detective sergeant Dickie Neeson.
“From them I learned about community policing and now I can say wearing this uniform is the greatest job in the world because I get to engage people and help them,” he said.
Originally from Michigan, where he earned a degree in psychology, Parks at 15 experienced the horror of losing his 22-year-old brother who was stabbed to death. He knows pain and wants to help people avoid it.
The husband of Barb and proud father of “great kids” Ileyah, 14, Jadyn, 10, and Ethan, 8, says every day is a gift.
Sometimes he hands them out, too.
This story goes back to a cold day in February when the 51 Division officer noticed something unusual at the corner of Richmond and Sherbourne.
“I saw a man walking across the traffic and through the red light,” Parks said. “I was kind of worried about him.”
Parks pulled over his squad car and took a closer look. He noticed it was a homeless man known as Cleo, who often panhandles in the neighbourhood.
“He’s a passive person and I could tell something was wrong,” he said. “I asked him if he was OK, but he was just mumbling and could barely answer. I thought for sure this was going to be a medical call.”
Cleo managed to tell him he has diabetes.
“I was able to determine his sugar levels were off and he told me he had not eaten anything,” Parks said.
The veteran copper quickly brought him inside the Tim Hortons, where he ordered a coffee and a peanut butter cookie.
Then, at Cleo’s request, a pulled pork sandwich.
It was a tasty choice and, more importantly, Cleo was feeling better within minutes. The solid meal was what he needed. All in a day’s work for Parks, who paid for another man’s lunch late Thursday as well, as photographer Dave Thomas and I witnessed.
The last time, somebody wrote in about it.
“We really appreciate it when the public takes the time to send us feedback,” Chief Mark Saunders said. “It is letters like this that remind us we have the public’s support and it inspires our members to continue doing what they do every single day.”
Said 51 Division’s Insp. David Rydzik: “I try and make it a point each and every day to say thank you to my officers for the great work they do. I know they appreciate the positive feedback coming from me, but when that positive feedback, or thank you, comes unsolicited from a member of the public it just means so much more to them.”
Parks said the important thing is Cleo is OK.
“All of my fellow officers do things like that,” Parks said. “It’s just what we do. We get to know people and we want to help them.”
This time, the public has heard about it.
jwarmington@postmedia.com
Toronto Police Const. Ed Parks poses with Cleo after he helped him with a meal at Tim Hortons. (Twitter)

Caring cop's good deeds get notice | Warmington | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I have no problem with at topic like this.

Well that's not quite true, now is it?

What I have a problem with , is when one of these so-called good cops
Seems you do indeed have a problem with acknowledging even the remote possibility that anything even remotely good, kind or benevolent can be committed by a group for whom you personally have demonstrated having an extreme bias against.

Propaganda pieces that are designed to make us all feel warm and fuzzy do not remove a similar act of misconduct.
Setting aside the "propaganda" judgement just for a moment (I know, I know, you have no problem with a topic like this) but setting that aside it also stands to reason that an act of misconduct should not diminish an act of good. Particularly when the good works far exceed the number of acts of bad conduct. (And before anyone suggests that is not the case, I propose that, were the opposite indeed true, society would be a hell of lot worse off than it is. We do not live in a police state.)

I've never seen anybody, myself included, out right state or even imply that a singular act of kindness completely negates any of the horrific things that have occurred. But if your basis of judgement is "how someone acts", then judge them on how they act not on how others have acted.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Cops care for abandoned goldfish while awaiting its owner
The Associated Press
First posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 11:47 AM EST | Updated: Monday, March 07, 2016 11:56 AM EST
HELSINKI -- Norwegian police have bigger fish to fry so they've allowed a fellow officer to take home a goldfish that had been waiting for its rightful owner in a jam jar at the local police station.
Bodo Police spokesman Tommy Bech says investigators "were very close to solving" the case of the lost goldfish, found abandoned Saturday in a shopping bag at a soccer stadium in the northwestern town.
Officers had felt it their duty to look after the fish until the owner was found, Bech said Monday. He said the fish had been "well looked after."
Bech said that Bodo police were now focusing on other issues and declined to give further details about the goldfish.
In this photo provided by the Norwegian police, a goldfish swims inside a jar, at the police station in Bodo, northern Norway, Sunday, March 6, 2016. Police in the northwestern town of Bodo are holding a lost goldfish in a jam jar hoping to find its rightful owner, according to Norwegian news agency NTB. (Norwegian Police/NTB scanpix via AP)

Cops care for abandoned goldfish while awaiting its owner | World | News | Toron

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
If you're missing a teddy bear? Toronto Police might have it
SUN STAFF
First posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:44 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:51 PM EDT
Toronto Police are trying to reunite a lost teddy bear with its owner.
Around 1 a.m. Wednesday, the police operations Twitter account posted a photo of a Butterscotch Gund bear found by an officer near Ellesmere Rd. and Morningside Ave.
A few hours later, Const. Clint Stibbe tweeted a pic of “Constable in Training PC Bear” buckled up in the front seat of a police cruiser and on his way to an interview on morning TV.
So far, police have yet to find the bear’s owner.
A lost teddy bear found by Toronto Police early Wednesday morning. (Handout photo from TPS operations Twitter account)

If you're missing a teddy bear? Toronto Police might have it | Toronto & GTA | N

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Officer rescues deer that had its head caught in light globe
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 05:36 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, May 05, 2016 05:42 PM EDT
CENTEREACH, N.Y. -- It was a deer caught in the ... light globe.
Authorities say a police officer has come to the aid of a wild deer whose head was stuck inside a light globe in a wooded area of suburban New York.
The state Department of Environmental Conservation says one of its officers spotted the deer Tuesday in the woods in Centereach, 45 miles east of New York City. Environmental conservation officials believe the deer had been lying there since Monday night.
Officer Jeff Hull approached the deer and tried to remove the globe. But it slipped out of his hands and the deer ran off.
Hull approached a second time and tossed his coat over the light globe. As the deer pulled back, the globe came free.
In this May 3, 2016 photo provided by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, a deer with its head caught in the globe from a lighting fixture over its head stands in the woods in Centereach, N.Y. (New York State Department of Environmental Conservation via AP)

Officer rescues deer that had its head caught in light globe | Weird | News | To