Oil Crash Only The Tip Of The Iceberg

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
We may be enjoying amazingly low prices at the gas pump, but as oil prices continueing to slide we must also remember the catastrophic events that have followed almost every drastic oil price slump in the past.

At this point, it’s not likely a question of ‘if’, or even ‘when’, the next financial crisis will hit. It’s more likely just a question of how big it will be.

In the early ‘80s, OPEC members—Saudi Arabia aside—were producing oil above the agreed upon caps. By 1986, Saudi Arabia, frustrated with all the cheating, gave up on limiting its own production. It flooded the oil market and sparked a 55% freefall in prices. Not so long after, the stock market plummeted 22.6% in a single day—the single biggest loss in the market’s history.

And then there was the 2008 housing crash, which came after a pattern of reckless lending and inflated housing prices. Housing prices collapsed, leaving the banks holding unrecoverable debts. Gradually, the crisis expanded into The Great Recession. Again, oil played a role here, having dropped more than $40 per barrel in less than six months in early 2008.

The common denominator here has always been falling oil prices.

And so here we are again—on the brink of another disaster in the wake of plummeting oil prices, rampant OPEC production, and skittish investors.

The Dallas Fed estimates that the actual cost of the 2008 recession was somewhere near $14 trillion. Ominously, today’s oil prices are well below the 2008/2009 lows, now down more than 75% from their highs just 18 months back.

In January 2015, Goldman Sachs said that at $70/bbl, around $2 trillion of future investments all over the world were at risk. Today’s prices are hovering between $28 and $30 per barrel.

A total of $180 billion of debt is at default risk, according to Standards & Poor’s rating services. S&P also estimates that 50% of debt issued by oil companies is at risk. Without a quick risek in oil prices, we will see more major defaults.

Oil and gas companies have laid off some 250,000 workers worldwide, according to industry consultants, Graves & Co. If prices remain low, that number will rise significantly. All companies related to the oil industry will struggle to survive, and many will resort to massive job cuts to lower expenses.

Those workers laid off will also find it difficult to pay off debt, and job losses could slowly spread to other sectors.

The amount of debt issued to the shale oil industry over the years is anywhere between $500 billion and $1 trillion, according to various estimates. Banks are likely to end up with bad debts on their books again. Problems will come to the fore once the big companies start defaulting.

more

Oil Crash Only The Tip Of The Iceberg | OilPrice.com

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm paying $0.85 most weeks around here. There are always discounters about. The going rate is about $0.92.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
6 palms isn't enough?

$0.65 L at the Costco in Airdrie, Alberta and $0.79 L in Eastern Ontario..

Just because your provincial government sees an opportunity to rake in tax dollars at the expensive of its residences, don't dog on the other provinces :)

They gotta pay for your subsidies somehow :lol:

Regina is 70¢ just like Calgary. I won't quote a garbage fuel price. Just the name brands.

And that is with Provincial tax. So in essence its cheaper in SK by 5%.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Canadian Tire sells Petro Canada gas.

I don't care about the flavour. I buy the best deal. I ran up thousands of kilometers on a toll highway here and a little kickback is petropoints to the tune of $0.10 per litre off for 150 liters per month. If I go over that, I collect enough points to get $0.05 off after that. That $0.85 punp price is costing me $0.75, most fill ups.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
OPEC is squeezing us out of the industry.

Don't know how many times it needs to be said, but it's time to move on to renewables already.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
OPEC is squeezing us out of the industry.

Don't know how many times it needs to be said, but it's time to move on to renewables already.

We'll get there eventually. Gotta give it time - drastic changes like that don't happen over night. Look how far we've come in battery technology already and we need to get it even better. Then, when we finally get it we need to make it affordable for everyone!

JMHO

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
$1.06L is amazingly low?

The headline is referring to American prices at the pump........

Refinery margins were about 16 cents a litre in Toronto in January 2015, but by the end of the year they were at almost 26 cents a litre. In Vancouver, margins increased from 23 cents to 38 cents over the year, while all regions saw significantly higher peaks in the summer driving season.

Falling oil prices not reflected at the pump as low dollar, refiners take toll | CTV News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure we are all already aware that oil companies are greedy fukks and this also why consumers will support change.