“Sexist pig?” Look it up

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
“Sexist pig?” Look it up

By Mike Strobel, Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, January 24, 2016 05:52 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, January 24, 2016 07:22 PM EST
Likely you noticed rabid feminists were especially shrill over the weekend.

Is housework getting them down? Has their female psyche run amok?

Could be. But that’s not why they’re pissed. The object of their ire — and the target of language police — is the good old Oxford dictionary.

They say it’s sexist. They’ve taken to Twitter en masse to teach the patriarchal pigs who edit it a lesson and to set them on a politically correct path.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED)? Sexist?

See for yourself. It’s easy. Go to Oxford Dictionaries - Dictionary, Thesaurus, & Grammar, enter a word, and check the examples of it used in phrases. To wit:

Rabid ... as in “a rabid feminist.”

Shrill ... as in “the rising shrill of women’s voices.”

Housework ... as in “she still does all the housework.”

Psyche ... as in “I will never really fathom the female psyche.”

I suspect you can see how a rabid feminist might get her knickers in a knot.

Remarkably, such vocabularic crimes went unnoticed until Michael Oman-Reagan, an anthropologist at Newfoundland’s Memorial University, blew the whistle. I had no idea Newfoundland even had rabid feminists, let alone male ones with hypenated names.

Oman-Reagan tweeted to Oxford: “Why is ‘rabid feminist’ the usage example of ‘rabid’ in your dictionary — maybe change that?”

To which the tweetmeister of the oldest university in the English-speaking world retorted: “If only there were a word to describe how strongly you felt about feminism.”

That was just asking for trouble. Rabid feminists are a twitchy lot. Tweets flew like dingbats outta hell.

Oxford insisted “rabid feminist” is not necessarily negative, which is true. For instance, there’s a popular support site for U.S. Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton called Rabid Feminist.

The gender brigade would have none of it. Maybe the very word “dictionary” is too phallic for them, if you catch my drift. Anyway, Oxford soon crumbled. Late Saturday, dictionary staff promised to review their entry for “rabid.”

I plan to fire off a suggestion that “rabid Habs fan,” be substituted as an example, since it is gender neutral and medically accurate?

If I were Oxford, I’d rethink other entries, too, lest the language cops padlock the place. Some usage examples I found with a few keystrokes:

Ambitious ... as in “she was a ruthlessly ambitious woman.”

Flighty ... as in “her mother was a flighty Southern belle.”

Ditzy ... as in “don’t tell me my ditzy secretary didn’t send you an invitation.” Technically, the secretary could be a guy, though it’s a long time since I even heard the word “secretary.”

Boss (when it means excellent) ... as in “she’s a real BOSS chick.” Man, oh, man, I miss 1967.

I get why Twitter went rabid on the weekend. The Gender War blows up from time to time. Politically correct warmongers are on constant vigil.

But do any of those entries bother you?

Not me. Sure they’re “gender-specific,” an evil according to today’s legions of linguistic sanitizers.

But in real life, most sentences are gender specific. That’s why God invented the words, “he” and “she.” He did not bother with a gender neutral pronoun, except “it” and I doubt even the most rabid feminist wants to be referred to as “it.”

Besides, what’s good for the goose ...

Creep ... as in “I thought HE was a nasty little creep.”

Gross ... as in “HE used to eat worms to gross her out.”

That’s the problem with rabid feminists, lingo stormtroopers and other zealots of political correctness. They gross out over nothing.

Strobel’s column usually runs Monday to Thursday. Hear him at 94.9 The Rock FM Tuesday and Thursday mornings. mike.strobel@sunmedia.ca
“Sexist pig?� Look it up | STROBEL | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm stuck for words - THIS is important to feminists? OMG!

Yep. Whilst medieval Muslim hordes are scything their way through Europe sexually molesting white European women, the rabid feminists are foaming at the mouth over entries in the OED. It's good to see these dopey birds have their priorities straight.

And shame on Oxford for bowing to them. Maybe it's bowed to them because the university - one of the greatest in the world before it became stuffed full of female students - has just appointed Professor Louise Richardson as its first female vice-chancellor.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Yep. Whilst medieval Muslim hordes are scything their way through Europe sexually molesting white European women, the rabid feminists are foaming at the mouth over entries in the OED. It's good to see these dopey birds have their priorities straight.

And shame on Oxford for bowing to them. Maybe it's bowed to them because the university - one of the greatest in the world before it became stuffed full of female students - has just appointed Professor Louise Richardson as its first female vice-chancellor.
One of these days Blacklump you're gonna have a boss that is female and she's gonna have but one thing to say to your scurvy azz,,,,," Show Me !,,,,,sweep de flo.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
uhm, hadn't considered it till now...I've decided I won't be bothered to care about word usage examples.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
One of these days Blacklump you're gonna have a boss that is female and she's gonna have but one thing to say to your scurvy azz,,,,," Show Me !,,,,,sweep de flo.

And I'll just tell her in no uncertain terms that, in everything she says, she's wrong and I'm right.

Irony alert: ‘rabid feminists’ want themselves removed from the Oxford English Dictionary

Brendan O'Neill
26 January 2016
The Spectator

As if to make a massive display of their dearth of self-awareness, Twitter feminists have spent the past few days nagging the Oxford English Dictionary over its definition of the word ‘nagging’. They have also rabidly denounced its definition of ‘rabid’. And they have deployed shrill lingo to slam its definition of ‘shrill’.

To nag a dictionary in a shrill and rabid way over its entries for ‘shrill’, ‘rabid’ and ‘nag’ suggests feminists’ irony deficiency has reached life-threatening levels. Or maybe they’re having a cosmic laugh. Never have I been more tempted to view the new, media-led feminism as a Chris Morris-style send-up of buzz-killing liberals than I have while reading about Dictionarygate.

It started with some tweets by the Canadian anthropologist Michael Oman-Reagan (male feminists are often the worst).

Demonstrating that anthropologists have way too much time on their hands, Mr Oman-Reagan complained to the OED – the default dictionary on Apple’s Mac OS X operating system – about the fact that its definition of the word ‘rabid’ — ‘having or proceeding from an extreme or fanatical support of or belief in something’ — contained the following example: ‘a rabid feminist.’

Follow

Michael Oman-Reagan
@OmanReagan

Hey @OxfordWords, why is “rabid feminist” the usage example of “rabid” in your dictionary - maybe change that?
3:58 AM - 21 Jan 2016

985 1,112

He then moaned about other ‘explicitly sexist’ stuff in the OED. Like the fact that the entry for ‘psyche’ contains this sentence: ‘I will never really fathom the female psyche.’ And the example of ‘a bossy, meddling woman’ in the entry for ‘bossy’. And the fact that the definition for ‘nagging’ mentions ‘a nagging wife’.

Follow

Michael Oman-Reagan
@OmanReagan

If @OxfordWords isn't hearing women's voices on this issue maybe it's because they dismiss them as "grating."
pic.twitter.com/CzqMHPKqZa

Follow

Michael Oman-Reagan
@OmanReagan

Reinforcing stereotype of “a nagging wife” doesn’t merely reflect use, it actively reproduces sexism. @OxfordWords pic.twitter.com/O5NLIPecCQ

3:30 PM - 23 Jan 2016

54 55

And on it goes, nag nag nag, berating a dictionary for having the temerity to use phrases — ‘she’s bossy!’; ‘he has a nagging wife!’ — that people use all the time without morphing into bovine misogynists. Before long, Mr Oman-Reagan was joined by any army of time-rich, sense-poor tweeters, all trying to tell the OED to rephrase its use of ‘bossy’, and other words.

For a few hours — which is a year in Twitter time — the OED stood up to these self-elected word cops. Which is amazing. In our era of twitch-hunts and speedily extracted apologies, no one stands up to anyone, least of all to the sad-emoji-wearing, offence-taking crowd.

‘If only there were a word to describe how strongly you felt about feminism…’, the OED’s Twitter-master said to the complainers, implying they were rabid! Brilliant. But after being branded flippant, the OED folk backtracked — everyone does eventually — and promised to review their entries for ‘rabid’ and other words.

Oxford Dictionaries ✔
@OxfordWords

If only there were a word to describe how strongly you felt about feminism… https://twitter.com/OmanReagan/status/690020733351784448 …

4:04 PM - 22 Jan 2016

1,773 2,652

Yes, that’s right: a dictionary — the dictionary — could potentially be rewritten at the behest of a small but noisy mob of the sensitive (‘easily offended or upset’ — OED). The very guide to the English language might soon be altered in order to placate those strangely delicate-yet-arrogant people who make up what passes for radical agitation today. Let’s hope these people don’t turn their nagging attention to publishers of the King James Bible next.

Dictionarygate is at once a silly Twitterstorm and also a depressing snapshot of everything wrong with the 21st century. It has it all: Twitter intolerance; radical activism that’s more interested in policing language than in changing society; institutional cowardice, in this case of dictionary compilers who lack the wherewithal to say to small gangs of complainers: ‘No, we will not overhaul our entries just because they rubbed you up the wrong way, just as no other book publisher or TV producer or filmmaker should have to change their stuff in response to irate tweets.’ Dictionarygate shows that defensiveness among the gatekeepers of knowledge can act as a green light to small groups of cultural vandals who arrogantly want to remake society according to their own strange, aloof tastes.

There’s also something Orwellian in the shrill — yes, shrill — demand that dictionaries be emptied of anything that petty authoritarians consider offensive. (In a strange coincidence, the citation the OED uses is taken from a book by the feminist writer Ann Oakley, and is dated 1984):

Just as the Ministry of Truth shoves down the memory hole any inconvenient fact and is constantly redefining words, so today’s PC brigade wants effectively to introduce Newspeak and ensure that the OED — and by extension all English speakers — only uses words in what a mob of moralists has decreed to be The Correct Way.

Irony alert: 'rabid feminists' want themselves removed from the Oxford English Dictionary - Spectator Blogs

Last edited: