Transgenders Want 3rd Box On Census Form

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Transgender student says some Canadians need 3rd option for gender on census - Politics - CBC News

This person says 'it' is neither a man or a woman. That's ridiculous! Take a look between your legs; if you have a dong hanging down there, you're a man. If not, you're a woman.
I expect these people are talking about how they feel; maybe they don't feel like either a man or a woman. Well - how is a man or a woman supposed to feel? I doubt if all men or all women feel the same way about their sexuality.
How you feel about your gender is not relevant to your answer on a census form, is it? For the purpose of the census a simple 'male' or 'female' ought to be sufficient.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Transgender student says some Canadians need 3rd option for gender on census - Politics - CBC News

This person says 'it' is neither a man or a woman. That's ridiculous! Take a look between your legs; if you have a dong hanging down there, you're a man. If not, you're a woman.
I expect these people are talking about how they feel; maybe they don't feel like either a man or a woman. Well - how is a man or a woman supposed to feel? I doubt if all men or all women feel the same way about their sexuality.
How you feel about your gender is not relevant to your answer on a census form, is it? For the purpose of the census a simple 'male' or 'female' ought to be sufficient.

Lighten up.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wait a minute I thought these people have been seeking main stream
status then why do they want a special place on the form? That would
amount to labeling would it not?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The solution is simple. If you have dangly parts betwixt your legs, you're a male until they are "repurposed". Deal with it!
At least one court has set a precedent on this involving a transgendered male looking at jail time.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How are you expected to go about your business when your neighbour has a dangly part and doesn't think he should?

I don't know how we can survive. I'm pretty if a stranger checks a box that doesn't say "male" or "female" we might as well just give up on civilization and start bashing our heads in with elephant femurs.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Wow, you're ignorant...

This person is not an "it", but a person. Having a "dong" doesn't make you a man, it just means you have a p-nis. If you don't have one, it means you have a v'gina. Those have nothing to do with whether you are male or female as they're external or internal organs that may or may not fit with the true gender of the person.

This person is trans, but also nonbinary which means the option of having only male or female doesn't fit them, because they can be either one.

The point of the story, which you obviously missed, is that having to say they are one gender or another doesn't fit them, and it also won't fit other people as well. Therefore having a place to mark 'other' - or something else - and explain the matter gives a better representation of the true make up of Canada. Since it's against the law to not fill out the census, something does have to be done to accommodate those who do not conform to the typical gender norms.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
...if a stranger checks a box that doesn't say "male" or "female" we might as well just give up on civilization and start bashing our heads in with elephant femurs.
The next step will be to allow people to marry a goat. Its inevitable.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Transgender means to change gender. Why is there need to have another option?
You changed from male to female or visa versa so you're one or the other.
Check the box that applies.