Quake...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just felt a nasty jolt in Coquitlam.

Mag 4.8 #Earthquake near Seattle. Felt all over Metro Vancouver just a few min ago. 911 being overflowed with callers asking about quake.

#BREAKING @USGS says a 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit 23km north of Victoria. It was felt across Metro Vancouver.

No tsunami warning.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just felt a nasty jolt in Coquitlam.

Mag 4.8 #Earthquake near Seattle. Felt all over Metro Vancouver just a few min ago. 911 being overflowed with callers asking about quake.

#BREAKING @USGS says a 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit 23km north of Victoria. It was felt across Metro Vancouver.

No tsunami warning.
Ditto! Felt it at my place in East Van! *eep*

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
i'm glad Toronto isn't near the ring of fire. ;)

We get little earthquakes in Toronto, dish rattlers. Way, way down deep in the rock, under a LOT of overlaid rock, there is an ancient rift under Lake Ontario. Apparently, it runs right under the Pickering nuclear reactor but it was undiscovered at the time of its construction. Anyway, I remember feeling three earthquakes here around Richter 4 since I moved here in the 1980s. I don't believe that anything catastrophic is expected, here but it is a little active.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If a significant quake hits the west coast expect Vancouver to be leveled. California will be less damaged as their building codes actually reflect they are on a fault line. Vancouver just pretends it isn't.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If a significant quake hits the west coast expect Vancouver to be leveled. California will be less damaged as their building codes actually reflect they are on a fault line. Vancouver just pretends it isn't.

And liquefaction will make quick work of all the areas built on delta material.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
didn't feel anything here in Courtenay.

Last night I woke up at a couple of minutes to 12 after having gone to sleep around 9:30. Normally, I sleep most of the night through except for the odd bathroom trip. It took me over an hour to finally get back to sleep. When I heard about the time of the quake, I did a bit of a double take. Cue X-Files theme. :smile:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Last night I woke up at a couple of minutes to 12 after having gone to sleep around 9:30. Normally, I sleep most of the night through except for the odd bathroom trip. It took me over an hour to finally get back to sleep. When I heard about the time of the quake, I did a bit of a double take. Cue X-Files theme. :smile:

Your little shake got me thinking about the consequences of a Tsunami on the coast. I was wondering about the fate of our little naval fleet in Esquimalt during a Tsunami. I googled it and found a fascinating declassified Navy engineering study on the subject, just a few years old. They consider the effects of earthquakes originating in Alaska and from the Cascadfia Subduction Zone. They also look at two intensities of Tsunami ... the "smaller" ones that occur every 500 years on average and the monster ones that hit the region every 5000 years or so. All of this is based on the evidence of 19 previous ones that have hit the region pretty regularly.

Anyway, a well written and fascinating report that would interest anybody interested in Canadian Naval affairs or on what might hit Vancouver Island.

The Seismic and Tsunami Threat to Ships, Personnel, and Defence Infrastructure on Canada’s West Coast

Get the damned ships out to sea PDQ or keep them in Halifax!

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The big one will never happen in BC because the tourist slogan
Is Supernatural British Columbia, therefore it is unlike anywhere
else, and Christi Clark won't let it happen so there.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The big one will never happen in BC because the tourist slogan
Is Supernatural British Columbia, therefore it is unlike anywhere
else, and Christi Clark won't let it happen so there.

Postponed until the Feds are forced to pick up the tab like everything else.