New Canadians

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It amazes me that Liberals who bring these refugees to Canada, to a stange new land, no education and not their native language would think these refugees will be happy, no questions asked.. I mean it's Canada, why not?

Working minimum wage, in most cases, hard work and treated badly.

I pick up loads all over Montreal and talk to New Canadians every day.. some happy, some hate it here.. "So why do they stay?"

I found this on the bathroom wall... figured I'd share it. Sad.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
For a new Canadian in Montreal, his command of the English language is quite remarkable - and the handwriting is much like that on railroad cars all over North America

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
That's the thing we need to be aware of and some of us are. New Canadians who don't like it here will try to change it to what they DO like. They won't go back where they came from because the benefit of being Canadian are too great to give up.
There are some though who come to Canada long enough to get citizenship and a passport and then go back to their native countries. As soon as they get into some kind of trouble (which they usually do) they can yell, "I am a Canadian citizen! Get me out of this mess!"

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
That's the thing we need to be aware of and some of us are. New Canadians who don't like it here will try to change it to what they DO like. They won't go back where they came from because the benefit of being Canadian are too great to give up.
There are some though who come to Canada long enough to get citizenship and a passport and then go back to their native countries. As soon as they get into some kind of trouble (which they usually do) they can yell, "I am a Canadian citizen! Get me out of this mess!"
Lebanon comes to mind .

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Immigration, bah humbug. Foreigners, bah humbug. Brown people, bah humbug. Good-looking but naive guys, bah humbug. etc etc etc
Same ol same ol.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I would wonder how people from a hot and dry climate would acclimate to the harsh Canadian winters. That in itself would be a hell of an adjustment along with everything else. Difficult to be relocated and dislocated. Doesn't seem natural. Been going on for a long time though I wonder how it was when Spain removed the Jews and Muslims in the fifteenth century. Must have been hell.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Let them come to Saskatchewan. Certainly cannot promise anyone heat except for the fact the high is -4 today. And yes, it does get colder here but "It's a dry cold, you know"

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It amazes me that Liberals who bring these refugees to Canada, to a stange new land, no education and not their native language would think these refugees will be happy, no questions asked.. I mean it's Canada, why not?

The guys you voted for would have brought them in too - just a lower number of them. All three of the major parties said they would. Its not without precedent. Over the course of our history we have taken refugees from all over the world many of whom had little to no knowledge of Canada. They adapted.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The guys you voted for would have brought them in too - just a lower number of them. All three of the major parties said they would. Its not without precedent. Over the course of our history we have taken refugees from all over the world many of whom had little to no knowledge of Canada. They adapted.

Yeah but the guys I voted for would vet them properly.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's the thing we need to be aware of and some of us are. New Canadians who don't like it here will try to change it to what they DO like.

That doesnt really make them any different from any new Canadians who arrived during any period in our history. Same goes for those of us born and raised here. I doubt there is a single person anywhere in Canada who doesnt want some part of it to change in one way or another. Many of the threads in this forum are discussions and debates about what should change and in what way. If you're a citizen that is your right regardless of whether you were born here or not. If you don't like the change a person or group is trying to make you have the right to oppose it and propose your own ideas. Thats how citizenship works.

Yeah but the guys I voted for would vet them properly.

How would their vetting process differ? Its the same system in place now for vetting people as it was 2 months ago. The politicians changed, the system did not. Its laid out pretty clearly in the law. The Liberals havent had the chance or ability to change those yet as parliament has not been recalled yet.

You know, the CBC isnt the only media outlet here. Most of the major media outlets here endorsed the Conservatives.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You know, the CBC isnt the only media outlet here. Most of the major media outlets here endorsed the Conservatives.

The CBC has been critical of the Liberal refugee policy. Not editorially, which they usually don't do anyway, but in actual logical analysis of the policy.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As soon as they get into some kind of trouble (which they usually do) they can yell, "I am a Canadian citizen! Get me out of this mess!"

Really. And you know this how? Be nice if you provided a link.

I would wonder how people from a hot and dry climate would acclimate to the harsh Canadian winters. That in itself would be a hell of an adjustment along with everything else. Difficult to be relocated and dislocated. Doesn't seem natural. Been going on for a long time though I wonder how it was when Spain removed the Jews and Muslims in the fifteenth century. Must have been hell.

I imagine it depends on what part of Syria they come from. It does snow in parts of Syria.

"During the winter daytime temperatures are mild, especially along the coast. During the night subzero temperatures in the interior are not uncommon. During the winter snowfall is not uncommon. However, snow often melts very rapidly. Under the influence of daytime temperatures snow will almost always melt within a day. An exception to this is the mountainous region in the southwestern part of Syria. In the higher regions chances of snowfall are higher, and snow may remain for a longer period of time. Some regions are even suitable for winter sports such as Mount Hermon which is situated on the tripoint of Lebanon, Israel and Syria."

Syria climate info | what’s the weather like in Syria

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
No not really ,to be honest the editorial content in most major media were very anti conservative .In the last few days of the campaign when it became time for the media to
endorse ownership said conservative , but to suggest that independent editors and columnists were supporting is disingenuous at best . The election is over the conservatives lost because of a poor campaign not the press .
No sense fighting old battles they are already lost .

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
No not really ,to be honest the editorial content in most major media were very anti conservative .In the last few days of the campaign when it became time for the media to
endorse ownership said conservative , but to suggest that independent editors and columnists were supporting is disingenuous at best . The election is over the conservatives lost because of a poor campaign not the press .
No sense fighting old battles they are already lost .

That and the decision to lengthen the campaign - never could get my head around that one.